Advice from Prof for Applicants to PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would go with the ones that you have done research with. I was in the same position as you, and only had 1 letter from someone who I had taken a class with and who was also my honours supervisor. All of my other letters (I submitted 4 including the previously mentioned one) were from people I had worked in labs with. I'm sure that they will be able to write you a stronger reference, than say, a professor who can only write "This person received an A in my class". I haven't had any comments about only having one reference from a professor I've taken a class with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum, but it looks like there is lots of helpful info on here!

Here's my story: I graduated from a well-known (Canadian) university in 2007 with 2 honours research projects, a gpa of 3.84 and a clinical placement with my population of interest. I have yet to take the GREs (i'll do it this summer) and I'm hoping to apply for Phd programs next year (for September 2010). However, my question for you is regarding letters of references:

I assume most schools require 3 letters. I have maintained a good relationship with my senior honours thesis supervisor (a paper of ours was recently published)- so that's one I count on. I am also currently working as a research assistant for a psychology department in a non-profit hospital setting. Is it okay to ask my supervisor here at work for a letter (she is a research psychologist and an adjunct professor at a med school - although I have never taken a class of hers). Also, I am currently volunteering as a research assistant in a lab at a small college, would it be okay to ask the professor there for a letter too? I have never taken classes with these 2 individuals so they know me in a strictly 'research' context.

OR...

Do you think it would be better to get back in touch with professors from my undergrad (I had a couple that I think would be able to write okay letters, but I didn't know them that well...and I have not had contact with them for almost 2 years now).

Sorry for the long posting, and I thank anyone who stuck it out to the end here and is willing to give me some advice!

Letters from the people you have done research with will be better than letters from profs you took classes with, but have no knowledge of your research skills

Hi again,
I have a few more questions about RA positions.
Are more jobs posted during April and May after current RA's have figured out their grad school situation or is there a fairly constant number of job openings throughout the year? If there are more job openings in the coming months, when would be a good time to seriously consider an alternative to getting an RA job?
Also, if I plan to apply to grad school next year and plan to start an RA position this summer, I would only be working for around 6 months before I would need to ask for a LOR. Is this enough time for someone to write a strong LOR or should I seriously consider making a 2 year commitment?
Thanks in advance.

Hi again,
I have a few more questions about RA positions.
Are more jobs posted during April and May after current RA's have figured out their grad school situation or is there a fairly constant number of job openings throughout the year? If there are more job openings in the coming months, when would be a good time to seriously consider an alternative to getting an RA job?

Yes, this would be the prime time for RA positions. Much more are offered in the spring than at any other time of the year.

Also, if I plan to apply to grad school next year and plan to start an RA position this summer, I would only be working for around 6 months before I would need to ask for a LOR. Is this enough time for someone to write a strong LOR or should I seriously consider making a 2 year commitment?
Thanks in advance.

6 months will be enough; although if you stay 2 years you will be even more qualified!

If you're waitlisted with a few others ahead of you, how often can you email to ask for an update in your status? I saw up there you said that after three weeks is fine--should I wait three weeks then? Also, I'm guessing that they won't email you for every little change in your status, right (e.g. moving from #3 on the list to #2)?

Thanks!

From my experience, they tend to only contact you when you are being accepted or no longer being wait-listed. There is no real value of them contacting you at every move, and it will probably make you a bit more anxious. If there are 4 people ahead of you on the list, they will probably keep the first two more abreast in terms of the process than someone lower on the list. So I would say contact them once and then wait, and maybe contact them again around 4/1, you don't want to appear to anxious or annoying.

Unless you are next in line or this is your only option, bare in mind that April 15th is the deadline legally for a student to consider their acceptances. So if you have been accepted at another school and wait-listed (but not high on the list) at one you view more favorably, remember that the closer its gets to 4/15 the great the gamble you are taking on the offered that was made. So be realistic about the process.

And people who are considering multiple acceptances, please inform schools as soon as possible when you no longer wish to be considered for admissions so that others can have an opportunity.

Thanks for the input--it's about what I figured.

And this is my only option, I'm afraid, so I'm stuck in limbo right now.

If you're waitlisted with a few others ahead of you, how often can you email to ask for an update in your status? I saw up there you said that after three weeks is fine--should I wait three weeks then? Also, I'm guessing that they won't email you for every little change in your status, right (e.g. moving from #3 on the list to #2)?

Thanks!

No, you may not hear about that type of change in status. If you have no reason to think that status has changed, then an email once every two weeks or so is probably enough. You will most certainly be contacted if they have news to tell you.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer everyone's anxious questions! One of my own:

I had always seen myself doing counseling psych, because I wanted to work with people and their everyday issues. I was accepted to several MA programs in MHC, but I was not totally sold on the schools, and I was second guessing my career choice, so I didn't go. (Saving myself $60,000+) Now (2 yrs later) I've become intrigued by I/O psych, and have applied to several MA programs.

My question: If I were to obtain an MA in an O-leaning program, and find that I want to pursue counseling psych, could I be a potential (though unusual) candidate for counseling psych PhD programs in the future?

DrClinPsyAdvice,

Unfortunately, I was placed on the Alternate list for my top choice school after the interview. In the letter, the school states, "this is an unranked list and will remain active until the first week of class. It is important that you continue to send any information that may enhance your credentials for entrance into the program (ie. grades from recent course work, updated resume or additional letters of recommendation)." Since this was my top choice school and I have yet to recieve any other offers, I was wondering if you think its worth asking some of my current professors to write additional letters? My concern is if I ask current professors I am working with now for letters and if I end up not getting called off this list, I don't want to bother them again in a few months for another letter for the next admissions cycle.

Thank you, the information you have provided in this thread has been very helpful!

I'm looking at our course schedule for next semester (Autumn), and it appears that a required class for my other major will conflict with Advanced Research Methodology in Psychology, which means I won't be able to take Advanced Research until Spring of my senior/application year.

Will this hurt me significantly? I'll have a decent amount of research experience (multiple honor theses at or near completion, for example), so it's not an issue of not being familiar with the research process or anything. However, it still seems like it would be a "deficiency" in my application. How should I/does this issue need to be addressed?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that I'm an expert, but I don't think it's necessary, given your extensive research experience. I didn't take such a course and I got interviews.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer everyone's anxious questions! One of my own:

I had always seen myself doing counseling psych, because I wanted to work with people and their everyday issues. I was accepted to several MA programs in MHC, but I was not totally sold on the schools, and I was second guessing my career choice, so I didn't go. (Saving myself $60,000+) Now (2 yrs later) I've become intrigued by I/O psych, and have applied to several MA programs.

My question: If I were to obtain an MA in an O-leaning program, and find that I want to pursue counseling psych, could I be a potential (though unusual) candidate for counseling psych PhD programs in the future?

Sorry, I am not sure that I have an answer for this. I'm not an expert in I/O or counseling. My guess would be that experience with a related degree is OK, if not an obvious choice.

DrClinPsyAdvice,

Unfortunately, I was placed on the Alternate list for my top choice school after the interview. In the letter, the school states, "this is an unranked list and will remain active until the first week of class. It is important that you continue to send any information that may enhance your credentials for entrance into the program (ie. grades from recent course work, updated resume or additional letters of recommendation)." Since this was my top choice school and I have yet to recieve any other offers, I was wondering if you think its worth asking some of my current professors to write additional letters? My concern is if I ask current professors I am working with now for letters and if I end up not getting called off this list, I don't want to bother them again in a few months for another letter for the next admissions cycle.

Thank you, the information you have provided in this thread has been very helpful!

They may not find it a bother at all. Once they have written a letter for you, it is very easy to update and send again to more places later. If you think letters from these profs could make the difference now, then I'd suggest pulling out all of the stops and giving it a try!

I'm looking at our course schedule for next semester (Autumn), and it appears that a required class for my other major will conflict with Advanced Research Methodology in Psychology, which means I won't be able to take Advanced Research until Spring of my senior/application year.

Will this hurt me significantly? I'll have a decent amount of research experience (multiple honor theses at or near completion, for example), so it's not an issue of not being familiar with the research process or anything. However, it still seems like it would be a "deficiency" in my application. How should I/does this issue need to be addressed?

Thanks!

don't worry about it. i doubt anyone will notice that you did or did not take the class when you apply.

Hi again,
I have another question regarding research experience before applying to graduate school. Is it better to be a research assistant or a research coordinator or are they both seen as fairly equal? Thanks again in advance.

Hi again,
I have another question regarding research experience before applying to graduate school. Is it better to be a research assistant or a research coordinator or are they both seen as fairly equal? Thanks again in advance.

Sometimes it's just semantics, so I can't imagine it would matter as much as what project you were on, who it was with and what your actual responsibilities were. I'm technically a Research Coordinator (as are all RA-like positions in my institution I believe), but my job is the same as an RA, though I am the only one on my project. Also, my boss always refers to me as the project's RA and probably did in my LORs too. That said, I did list it as a RC position on my CV, since in institutions where they have both, the Coordinator tends to be a more senior position.

Hi DrClinPsyAdvice,

I'm in a strange situation. I applied to a program that I thought I would like (I wouldn't have applied otherwise), but during the interview weekend, I found myself reconsidering my fit with the program. I have since been accepted to this program, and it is my only acceptance this year. I feel foolish even thinking about turning down my only offer, but I can't completely shake my reservations, and I was hoping you could weigh in on a couple of questions...

1) How much can research interests evolve over time? I have a couple of main research interests, but only one of them is represented at this school, and I'm worried about being pigeon-holed into one and exactly one of these areas for the rest of my career. How flexible are these things? If I study A during grad school with someone who's known for studying A, does that mean I'll mostly just study A for the rest of my career? Or will I be able to branch into B and C as well?

2) How much does word "get around" about applicants and their decisions? If I turned down a solid offer in favor of reapplying, would other researchers in the field hear about it? Would it hurt my chances of future admission to different programs? Would I be blacklisted as the flaky applicant who can't make a decision?

I would really appreciate any information you could give...thanks!!

Hi - I'm choosing between Rutgers' PsyD program & UCSB's Clinical PhD program. While both seem to be very reputable programs, I'm curious how each's rep holds up nationally (i.e. is Rutgers' PsyD program know on the west coast, or UCSB's PhD program on the east coast)? Also, I know there can be a bias against PsyDs, so I wonder how Rutgers' rep in particular would match to a PhD from UCSB. I have no intention of going into acadamia, but would want the option to do applied research, at a hospital or university connected to a hospital. Any thoughts?

Hey all,

I'm a DCT and a student just told me about this forum. if you have any questions about the application process, I'm happy to help. I may not be able to check this every day, but I'll do my best...

PLEASE READ FIRST BEFORE POSTING

DrClinPsyAdvice (and anyone else with some input):
I got an email today saying I am wait-listed for second round offers and as an alternate. My understanding is that second-round offers will happen before April 1, and the alternates will be notified sometime after that date. Does this sound right? My understanding is that students have to notify schools by April 15th, but can schools extend offers past that date? Also, should I ask where I'm ranked now or wait to see if I miss the second round and become an alternate before I ask?

Secondly, should I send an email to my POI to let him know the program is still my first choice? I saw an earlier post saying it was okay to ask if they would be open to reapplying the next year if not accepted--good idea? And should I send an similar message to anyone else, like the program director?

Thanks! All the postings have been helpful.

Hey! Long time reader, first time posting(questions toward you!).

I am going to Graduate from my undergrad soon, with in 1 year. If I were to take one year off to work in another country, as a teacher, would that be frowned upon when applying for a masters program when I return? I believe that GRE scores are usable for up to 2 years but I am unsure of that as well.

Taking the 2 year plunge right away poses a lot of problems(IE: putting marriage off to the side etc..). Is it abnormal for students to work and then return for school? It seems these programs are overly competitive thus I am worrying about how this will affect my chances of getting in to the program.
Thanks again for all these great responses!

-Brett

I have a question on research, the benchmark of applying to a PhD program. I am going to apply to school psychology programs(PhD and MA) I was told research was a big component for the PhD application. I can do a little at my small LAC but even an honors thesis isn't guaranteed because of the number of students/advisors. You might have to do independent study which is an option.
I was told of an unpaid internship in research over the summer, but I have to work...it doesn't matter what, I have to make 3-4,000 to go toward my tuition. I already have loans and my parents can't do very much more with other children going to college soon.
Being a first generation student, I have done a lot of reading on what is needed, but wondered if any leverage is used if a student has a great GPA, solid scores and good recs, if the research is on the lighter side.
Thanks, if not, I will have to just take longer to get my goals, I can't be paying huge amounts in school loans a month one day.
Thanks for any help DrClinPsyAdvice!

Dear Doctor,

I'm hoping you can give me your impression of this situation. I have one offer from a clinical program on the table.

I'm on a waiting list at a second school (clinical as well) which is my 1st choice. Only 4 offers were made, and I'm 2nd or 3rd on this list, so it's not looking good. My POI is actually in the social area though (he has supervised clinical students in the past). He has said that if I don't make it in on the waitlist, he'll make a spot for me in the social area, and then the odds that I can add clinical training to my program of study are "very very high."

Do you have any thoughts of how I should approach and gauge this situation? Part of me thinks that "very very high" odds aren't quite high enough for my comfort level. On the other hand, perhaps he has no choice but to say that because he can't technically guarantee it. I assume that it would be in his interest to ensure that I can make the switch next year, since he wouldn't want a very unhappy student in his lab. Ideally, I'd like to be able to consult with other faculty in the department to ensure that they are on board with this plan.

I suppose I'm concerned that since I was not chosen to to enter directly into the clinical area this year, why would they be more willing next year?

So my questions are these: have you heard of this before? Can it backfire, and if so, how can I assess the risk? Can I ask for the plan to be put in writing? Can I ask to speak to other faculty about the situation?

Thank you for any help that you can offer.

Best,

dd123

Hi again,

equal

Hi DrClinPsyAdvice,

I'm in a strange situation. I applied to a program that I thought I would like (I wouldn't have applied otherwise), but during the interview weekend, I found myself reconsidering my fit with the program. I have since been accepted to this program, and it is my only acceptance this year. I feel foolish even thinking about turning down my only offer, but I can't completely shake my reservations, and I was hoping you could weigh in on a couple of questions...

1) How much can research interests evolve over time? I have a couple of main research interests, but only one of them is represented at this school, and I'm worried about being pigeon-holed into one and exactly one of these areas for the rest of my career. How flexible are these things? If I study A during grad school with someone who's known for studying A, does that mean I'll mostly just study A for the rest of my career? Or will I be able to branch into B and C as well?

2) How much does word "get around" about applicants and their decisions? If I turned down a solid offer in favor of reapplying, would other researchers in the field hear about it? Would it hurt my chances of future admission to different programs? Would I be blacklisted as the flaky applicant who can't make a decision?

I would really appreciate any information you could give...thanks!!

Sorry of this is too late. No one will expect you to say Yes to a program just because you got an offer. It is perfectly acceptable to say No if you do not feel it is a fit. I doubt researchers in the field would judge you negatively at all.

Hi - I'm choosing between Rutgers' PsyD program & UCSB's Clinical PhD program. While both seem to be very reputable programs, I'm curious how each's rep holds up nationally (i.e. is Rutgers' PsyD program know on the west coast, or UCSB's PhD program on the east coast)? Also, I know there can be a bias against PsyDs, so I wonder how Rutgers' rep in particular would match to a PhD from UCSB. I have no intention of going into acadamia, but would want the option to do applied research, at a hospital or university connected to a hospital. Any thoughts?

I don't feel comfortable talking about any individual programs specifically.

DrClinPsyAdvice (and anyone else with some input):
I got an email today saying I am wait-listed for second round offers and as an alternate. My understanding is that second-round offers will happen before April 1, and the alternates will be notified sometime after that date. Does this sound right? My understanding is that students have to notify schools by April 15th, but can schools extend offers past that date? Also, should I ask where I'm ranked now or wait to see if I miss the second round and become an alternate before I ask?

Secondly, should I send an email to my POI to let him know the program is still my first choice? I saw an earlier post saying it was okay to ask if they would be open to reapplying the next year if not accepted--good idea? And should I send an similar message to anyone else, like the program director?

Thanks! All the postings have been helpful.

No, you can get an offer any time up until April 15. By April 15, all decisions must be made on both ends however. And yes - email your interest as much as you'd like (as long as it is not excessive)

Hey! Long time reader, first time posting(questions toward you!).

I am going to Graduate from my undergrad soon, with in 1 year. If I were to take one year off to work in another country, as a teacher, would that be frowned upon when applying for a masters program when I return? I believe that GRE scores are usable for up to 2 years but I am unsure of that as well.

Taking the 2 year plunge right away poses a lot of problems(IE: putting marriage off to the side etc..). Is it abnormal for students to work and then return for school? It seems these programs are overly competitive thus I am worrying about how this will affect my chances of getting in to the program.
Thanks again for all these great responses!

-Brett

Probably will not hurt for entry into a Masters program. If you were applying to doctoral programs, you would want to stay involved in research somehow.

I have a question on research, the benchmark of applying to a PhD program. I am going to apply to school psychology programs(PhD and MA) I was told research was a big component for the PhD application. I can do a little at my small LAC but even an honors thesis isn't guaranteed because of the number of students/advisors. You might have to do independent study which is an option.
I was told of an unpaid internship in research over the summer, but I have to work...it doesn't matter what, I have to make 3-4,000 to go toward my tuition. I already have loans and my parents can't do very much more with other children going to college soon.
Being a first generation student, I have done a lot of reading on what is needed, but wondered if any leverage is used if a student has a great GPA, solid scores and good recs, if the research is on the lighter side.
Thanks, if not, I will have to just take longer to get my goals, I can't be paying huge amounts in school loans a month one day.
Thanks for any help DrClinPsyAdvice!

It would be good for someone in your situation to be evaluated accordingly. However, the reality is that research experience is paramount, and if it means taking extra time to get there, it is probably a good move to do so.

Dear Doctor,

I'm hoping you can give me your impression of this situation. I have one offer from a clinical program on the table.

I'm on a waiting list at a second school (clinical as well) which is my 1st choice. Only 4 offers were made, and I'm 2nd or 3rd on this list, so it's not looking good. My POI is actually in the social area though (he has supervised clinical students in the past). He has said that if I don't make it in on the waitlist, he'll make a spot for me in the social area, and then the odds that I can add clinical training to my program of study are "very very high."

Do you have any thoughts of how I should approach and gauge this situation? Part of me thinks that "very very high" odds aren't quite high enough for my comfort level. On the other hand, perhaps he has no choice but to say that because he can't technically guarantee it. I assume that it would be in his interest to ensure that I can make the switch next year, since he wouldn't want a very unhappy student in his lab. Ideally, I'd like to be able to consult with other faculty in the department to ensure that they are on board with this plan.

I suppose I'm concerned that since I was not chosen to to enter directly into the clinical area this year, why would they be more willing next year?

So my questions are these: have you heard of this before? Can it backfire, and if so, how can I assess the risk? Can I ask for the plan to be put in writing? Can I ask to speak to other faculty about the situation?

Thank you for any help that you can offer.

Best,

dd123

Wait it out. Everyone will start the musical chairs again in the next few days and you never know what will happen. As for clinical training in a social program - it is hard to comment. Some programs may have very flexible boundaries and some don't, so it's hard to tell how 'real' this possibility is. I'd talk to students in the program to get more scoop if I were you

Does that mean that ALL offers have to go out by April 15th? Would a school ever offer admission into the later spring/ early summer months due to funding?

Also- what do you tell students to do when they are in this predicament?
They get offered a job somewhere (with a 2 year commitment) but their school has yet to make a final decision. Would you say take the job or would you say hold out hope for the school?

No, you can get an offer any time up until April 15. By April 15, all decisions must be made on both ends however. And yes - email your interest as much as you'd like (as long as it is not excessive)

Does that mean that ALL offers have to go out by April 15th? Would a school ever offer admission into the later spring/ early summer months due to funding?

Also- what do you tell students to do when they are in this predicament?
They get offered a job somewhere (with a 2 year commitment) but their school has yet to make a final decision. Would you say take the job or would you say hold out hope for the school?

I don't think that offers are typically made after April 15, although I may be wrong on this.

I'd wait until April 15, then take the job and apply again in 2 years (if the research position is going to be a great addition to one's application)

Thank you for the advice! What a difference a few hours make..
As of 2:16 pm today I was accepted into the PhD program I want to go to. However, due to those funding issues I would have to go the first year without funding. I am currently compiling a list of questions to ask my POI in regards to this new update. I also sent an email asking about whether or not it is possible to defer for a year. I have 2 questions for you however:

1. Would you say it is smarter to defer for a year if funding is available next year?
2. What would you say are some questions that I should ask that will help me make the best informed decision?

I don't think that offers are typically made after April 15, although I may be wrong on this.

I'd wait until April 15, then take the job and apply again in 2 years (if the research position is going to be a great addition to one's application)

Thank you for the advice! What a difference a few hours make..
As of 2:16 pm today I was accepted into the PhD program I want to go to. However, due to those funding issues I would have to go the first year without funding. I am currently compiling a list of questions to ask my POI in regards to this new update. I also sent an email asking about whether or not it is possible to defer for a year. I have 2 questions for you however:

1. Would you say it is smarter to defer for a year if funding is available next year?
2. What would you say are some questions that I should ask that will help me make the best informed decision?

If they let you defer and it will save you money, then this could be OK. As for questions to ask, I suppose this really depends on the factors that are most important to you in making a decision....

It would be good for someone in your situation to be evaluated accordingly. However, the reality is that research experience is paramount, and if it means taking extra time to get there, it is probably a good move to do so.

Thank you for your reply. I am doing research this year on one project, an honors thesis next year and 1 more project next year with my advisor. I also will try to get experience with children with special needs.
If I end up in a masters program, do many colleges take any credits into the PhD program if you want to move on or is it usually a "start over again" process? A lot of people think my wanting a PhD in School Psych is overkill, but I like the options open later in my career.
Thanks again, I appreciate it. As you said, grad school isn't like college admissions, but it is attainable if you work at it.

Thank you for your reply. I am doing research this year on one project, an honors thesis next year and 1 more project next year with my advisor. I also will try to get experience with children with special needs.
If I end up in a masters program, do many colleges take any credits into the PhD program if you want to move on or is it usually a "start over again" process? A lot of people think my wanting a PhD in School Psych is overkill, but I like the options open later in my career.
Thanks again, I appreciate it. As you said, grad school isn't like college admissions, but it is attainable if you work at it.

Many doctoral programs will allow 'some' but not all of your masters credits to transfer. It could shave 1 year off of your PhD curriculum at best, I believe.

Hi,

Thanks again for helping us all out by doing this!

Question: I was speaking with someone the other day who said that if you work in multiple labs, you NEED publications or major poster presentations to avoid appearing scattered. The way it's looking now, my research will likely lump into two broad categories: things related to my research interest (disability "multicultural" psych) and things related to the subfield to which I'm applying (school psych--child psych research, parenting psych research, and assessment-based neuropsych research) the only major outlier being a research project directly related to my clinical experience. While I'd obviously like to have publications or major poster presentations on my CV and am doing my best to make that happen, nothing is guaranteed. What's the best way to convey focus with a broad array of research experience?

Hi there,

If you're on the waiting list of a school and they give you an acceptance on April 15th, how long do you have to give them a firm answer? Is there any grace period for a decision?

Thanks!

Dear DrClinPsyAdvice,

I have been accepted into a fully-funded Ph.D. program at a public university. I currently work full-time and have been offered to continue working for the same company a few hours a week while in school. From what I understand, the school has a policy that does not allow outside employment. I wanted to know if there are any actual legal ramifications or rules that would preclude me from outside employment, or if it is just an internal policy to assure students are not distracted.

Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks again for helping us all out by doing this!

Question: I was speaking with someone the other day who said that if you work in multiple labs, you NEED publications or major poster presentations to avoid appearing scattered. The way it's looking now, my research will likely lump into two broad categories: things related to my research interest (disability "multicultural" psych) and things related to the subfield to which I'm applying (school psych--child psych research, parenting psych research, and assessment-based neuropsych research) the only major outlier being a research project directly related to my clinical experience. While I'd obviously like to have publications or major poster presentations on my CV and am doing my best to make that happen, nothing is guaranteed. What's the best way to convey focus with a broad array of research experience?

I disagree with the advice you have received. It is fine to be involved in different labs, and no one is counting publications or presentations at this stage. As long as your personal statement clearly conveys your interests and what you'd like to do in graduate school, it is fine. Many of my own undergrad students work in additional labs (on completely different topics). They typically have 0-1 presentations, 0 publications at the time they are applying, and it is fine.

Hi there,

If you're on the waiting list of a school and they give you an acceptance on April 15th, how long do you have to give them a firm answer? Is there any grace period for a decision?

Thanks!

Not sure on this one. I think all decisions are by today.

Dear DrClinPsyAdvice,

I have been accepted into a fully-funded Ph.D. program at a public university. I currently work full-time and have been offered to continue working for the same company a few hours a week while in school. From what I understand, the school has a policy that does not allow outside employment. I wanted to know if there are any actual legal ramifications or rules that would preclude me from outside employment, or if it is just an internal policy to assure students are not distracted.

Thank you.

I would strongly discourage you from working while in school. If you do, there may be issues with your TA or RA funding. At some schools, this funding is contingent on full-time commitment to the school and no other ongoing employment. At other schools, it is simply discouraged.

Generally speaking, it is a bad idea to try and maintain outside employment, however. You indeed will be distracted.

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck with their decisions today! (I decided to post on this thread because it's the most popular.) I'm sure you are all wonderful, qualified individuals!

Thank you so much for your help!

I want to apply for clinical programs for next year, but I'm really worried about my research experience. I have 1.5 years of RA experience in a social psychology lab on morality/positive psychology (I completed an independent project on morality), a full-time summer RA position in another social psych lab on social cognition, and I just got a full-time RA position for next year for a clinical psychology lab that does research on cancer and genetic testing for cancer.

My main problem is, how do I present myself to schools? I think it would be cool to do research in health psychology and positive psychology in graduate school, but does my background help me? I feel that it is so scattered! How much does your previous undergraduate research experience have to line up with your research interests for graduate school?

Thank you!

Thank you so much for your help!

I want to apply for clinical programs for next year, but I'm really worried about my research experience. I have 1.5 years of RA experience in a social psychology lab on morality/positive psychology (I completed an independent project on morality), a full-time summer RA position in another social psych lab on social cognition, and I just got a full-time RA position for next year for a clinical psychology lab that does research on cancer and genetic testing for cancer.

My main problem is, how do I present myself to schools? I think it would be cool to do research in health psychology and positive psychology in graduate school, but does my background help me? I feel that it is so scattered! How much does your previous undergraduate research experience have to line up with your research interests for graduate school?

Thank you!

Sounds like you have terrific undergrad experience and this could be woven together very nicely to convey your interests in health psychology. As long as you can explain how your interests were met by each of these experiences and what you'd like to do next, you are fine. No one will expect that every past experience is consistent with what you want for the future. Some personal statements even talk about how past experiences taught them what areas they were less interested in - and that is OK too.

Status
Not open for further replies.