Advice from Prof for Applicants to PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok: just because this forum is anonymous: I'm going to ask ....because I do truly wonder, and do truly want to know.

If someone has a physical handicap (e.g. uses a wheelchair, cane etc) ...would it ...dissaude a professor from accepting the person? I know it's not supposed to, it shouldn't, it's against all ethical laws that I can even think of......
But.....does it happen? And not wanting to completely make a fundamental attribution error (heh), could it happen not just because a professor is a j* but because he's (or she's) worried that the physical handicap would interfere with a student's performance, or that the student might not be up to working as much as is needed....or I dunno, the lab isn't really equipped as an accessible space?

If someone say has cancer and came to an interview with a scarf over their head instead of wearing a wig, would that be bad? If the person did wear a wig, and the professor asked a student (as one professor did ask my friend who went to an interview [she doesn't have cancer but just to show that this question did get asked]) : do you forsee any circumstances that would impair you from performing at full capacity should I accept you as a student?

What if one doesn't want to disclose that they have a physical disability...? Would it be deceptive to say no? Should one be upfront? And, would being so upfront affect chances for admission? (Professors want productive grad students right? What if they mistakenly assume that person wouldn't be because of their disability?)

Sorry for the long question, but I truly do wonder...

THANKS LOTS,
Ilovecows

Members don't see this ad.

I am also trying to decide whether to reapply would be interested in the opinion of someone on the "inside". I have been accepted at two of my fallback programs. My profs at both are not tenured and are starting new labs, so my funding would be mostly TAs. I liked both programs. However, I am concerned about distance, both programs are in remote locations on the other side of the country and a ticket home would cost me around $500 if I was lucky and that's after driving several hours to bigger cities. My father is very ill, and I am an only child - I do not think I can do it. It's my Dad. I am looking for cities on the east coast closer to NC - but I could never get into UNC or Duke, my research interests are not a fit for UNC-G and I didn't get in there for that reason I think. So, I am thinking of WVU, KU, USC, UA, Auburn, anything remotely on that side of the country.

I am a nontrad healthcare attorney, primary breadwinner for my family, and spouse has MS. I got a lot of push back on my interviews about my "lack of commitment" to psychology because I hadn't done more research and why did I want to change careers now "after reaching so much success in law." I have had to do everything slower - working full time to fulfill everything. I took 30 hours of psychology courses at night over 3 years and made a 4.0. I took a leave of absence and did research in a health psych lab at UNC for 4 months. My GPAs are all very high and from good school. I am taking more psych classes now to show more commitment I guess. If I did pass on the other schools, I would work on my GRE (currently 1250) and if I am still working lawyer job get a tutor or bite the bullet and do Kaplan. I have some research opportunities - one is monitoring study and data collection remotely for a study I worked on before and the other would be doing some work here at another university here re bipolar disorder. My primary research interest area is health psych, other is forensic. I have mostly focused on the former. It's going to be really tough to do this and work my 50+ hours a week in law.

I guess I am wondering if this is just one of those painful choices in life and I should just go in spite of everything. I just seriously doubt whether I could stay and transferring if he did not get better doesn't seem like a very strong possibility.

I am beginning to think that nontrads are not favored because they are different and can't take years off to work at RA jobs. I am beginning to think that getting into the right program really isn't possible, maybe it's just close enough. Some very kind folks on this board have told me otherwise, but I guess I would like to hear it from the horse's mouth and whether I can raise my chances significantly by working on my app this year given that I can't take the year to be an RA or something like that. I can't quit my day job until I am going to grad school, that's the deal. I am saving money to float us for the 4-5 years while I am there. This is my world. Maybe I need to get a new dream and deal.

I asked a somewhat related question prior, but here I want to know specifically if it's okay to apply to 2 research (non-clinical) psych programs and all the rest Clinical.

I was thinking of applying to 2 non-clinical schools as one prof that I'm currently working with (who I might have a pub with) he told me that he'd put in lots of nice words with the faculty (as he's from 1 of those schools) He said that he thinks I'm excellent and he said that the school there would be lucky to have me. (ya ya)
Anyhow, he said that he's close with a faculty member there whose research I simply adore, and said that with everything else, his rec would just put me pretty much in (so he says anyway). These 2 schools are absolutely top-ranked research schools, with top level researchers, in the US.

In any case, would it look bad to Clinical Psych programs if they were to know that I also applied to 2 research focused schools? Would it look bad to the research programs for me to have applied to only 2 research schools and all the rest Clinical? (In any case the 2 research programs don't have a Clinical track, so there'd be no worry of me 'trying to get in through the back door'). Finally, would it be too disruptive to letter writers (other than the professor who told me to apply) to have to write me letters for both clinical and research?

(Btw: I completely dropped the idea of PsyD, MSW, PhD in SW, and teacher's college as I'd be miserable but PhD in non-clin Psych is still in the running I guess)

Thanks greatly!
Ilovecows

I doubt that the other schools would ever know. I bet that would be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Dr. ClinPsyAdvice,

I'm just wondering what the norm is in terms of how having outside funding affects the amount of stipend a student receives. At every program I interviewed at, it was explained to me (maybe I misperceived) that students are guaranteed a certain amount of funding, say $12, 000/yr to work as a TA or RA in the department and then students are encouraged to apply for outside funding from granting/scholarship agencies, etc. to supplement their income. Does this sound correct or was I dreaming?

I am curious because I have been awarded a large scholarship from a national research council in canada. However, now knowing that I have this outside funding, the school (in the U.S.) is only offering me a $3000 stipend for the year. In addition, I will still be obligated to work the minimum number of RA hours per week as all other students. Is it normal for the school to offer a student so little funding when the outside funding the student is coming into the program with is in no way related to the university? I am not trying to be greedy, I just want to make sure I am not getting taken advantage of.

Thanks,
dlpfc

I think the typical message is that one gets a stipend from the university OR they obtain their own outside funding to pay their stipend. I think it is rare for one to get two stipends (one from Univ and the other as a supplement), unless the supplement is not really enough to make a full stipend.

So, I think this U's offer is reasonable. The only thing that may be different is that they are asking you to work as a RA for someone even with your own funding? Maybe they just mean that they expect you to dedicate some time to research in general?

Ok: just because this forum is anonymous: I'm going to ask ....because I do truly wonder, and do truly want to know.

If someone has a physical handicap (e.g. uses a wheelchair, cane etc) ...would it ...dissaude a professor from accepting the person? I know it's not supposed to, it shouldn't, it's against all ethical laws that I can even think of......
But.....does it happen? And not wanting to completely make a fundamental attribution error (heh), could it happen not just because a professor is a j* but because he's (or she's) worried that the physical handicap would interfere with a student's performance, or that the student might not be up to working as much as is needed....or I dunno, the lab isn't really equipped as an accessible space?

If someone say has cancer and came to an interview with a scarf over their head instead of wearing a wig, would that be bad? If the person did wear a wig, and the professor asked a student (as one professor did ask my friend who went to an interview [she doesn't have cancer but just to show that this question did get asked]) : do you forsee any circumstances that would impair you from performing at full capacity should I accept you as a student?

What if one doesn't want to disclose that they have a physical disability...? Would it be deceptive to say no? Should one be upfront? And, would being so upfront affect chances for admission? (Professors want productive grad students right? What if they mistakenly assume that person wouldn't be because of their disability?)

Sorry for the long question, but I truly do wonder...

THANKS LOTS,
Ilovecows

Well, I suppose that anything is possible, and biases do exist, even without one realizing it. But psychologists are generally very liberal, open-minded, empathic people who are sensitive to any pre-judgments they may make. Thus, I would very much doubt that a physical disability would dissuade them from admitting someone to candidacy

I am also trying to decide whether to reapply would be interested in the opinion of someone on the "inside". I have been accepted at two of my fallback programs. My profs at both are not tenured and are starting new labs, so my funding would be mostly TAs. I liked both programs. However, I am concerned about distance, both programs are in remote locations on the other side of the country and a ticket home would cost me around $500 if I was lucky and that's after driving several hours to bigger cities. My father is very ill, and I am an only child - I do not think I can do it. It's my Dad. I am looking for cities on the east coast closer to NC - but I could never get into UNC or Duke, my research interests are not a fit for UNC-G and I didn't get in there for that reason I think. So, I am thinking of WVU, KU, USC, UA, Auburn, anything remotely on that side of the country.

I am a nontrad healthcare attorney, primary breadwinner for my family, and spouse has MS. I got a lot of push back on my interviews about my "lack of commitment" to psychology because I hadn't done more research and why did I want to change careers now "after reaching so much success in law." I have had to do everything slower - working full time to fulfill everything. I took 30 hours of psychology courses at night over 3 years and made a 4.0. I took a leave of absence and did research in a health psych lab at UNC for 4 months. My GPAs are all very high and from good school. I am taking more psych classes now to show more commitment I guess. If I did pass on the other schools, I would work on my GRE (currently 1250) and if I am still working lawyer job get a tutor or bite the bullet and do Kaplan. I have some research opportunities - one is monitoring study and data collection remotely for a study I worked on before and the other would be doing some work here at another university here re bipolar disorder. My primary research interest area is health psych, other is forensic. I have mostly focused on the former. It's going to be really tough to do this and work my 50+ hours a week in law.

I guess I am wondering if this is just one of those painful choices in life and I should just go in spite of everything. I just seriously doubt whether I could stay and transferring if he did not get better doesn't seem like a very strong possibility.

I am beginning to think that nontrads are not favored because they are different and can't take years off to work at RA jobs. I am beginning to think that getting into the right program really isn't possible, maybe it's just close enough. Some very kind folks on this board have told me otherwise, but I guess I would like to hear it from the horse's mouth and whether I can raise my chances significantly by working on my app this year given that I can't take the year to be an RA or something like that. I can't quit my day job until I am going to grad school, that's the deal. I am saving money to float us for the 4-5 years while I am there. This is my world. Maybe I need to get a new dream and deal.

Your dedication is very admirable, and should be rewarded! It is absolutely possible for you to get into a program, and most programs have 1-2 nontraditional (career-switching) folks in there - so there is terrific precedent for this to happen!

I'd suggest working on GREs and more research experience. Extra classes will not really help at this point (probably) because you already have taken several and demonstrated competence. You need a research advisor to work with you and write a strong letter. You also will want to write your personal statement to address these questions about your career choices, head on! And if you expect you would need to transfer out of a school, don't go. It is not really possible to 'transfer' per se, and you may not get credit for all of your work at the initial program. Best wishes to you and your family.

but I could never get into UNC or Duke, my research interests are not a fit for UNC-G and I didn't get in there for that reason I think. So, I am thinking of WVU, KU, USC, UA, Auburn, anything remotely on that side of the country.

Don't expect KU, UA, Auburn to be any easier to get into than UNC/Duke. They really aren't. At KU and UA, when I interviewed, I was up against some TOUGH competition from Cornell, Harvard, and other well established schools. Don't expect these schools to be a cakewalk in any way.

Mark

Hi,

Thank you so much for starting the thread, I know we all appreciate it. Let me summarize my situation a little. I am graduating this May. I've applied to 28 schools (yes 28 lol). I've been rejected to about 12 so far, interviewed at 5 and been accepted into only 1 school so far. The school that I've been accepted into isn't funded at all, so I would have to take out loans. I was wondering if it is possible for me to be accepted elsewhere in the next 2 weeks? Or even after April 15? Then if I decide to go to the school, what is I decide to transfer after one year? How do grad schools look at that and is it possible?

Hi Dr.ClinPsyAdvice:

Thanks for being a part of this forum. I'm having some difficulty right now finding a fall JOB.
I want a paid RA position before applying to grad school - I have a ton of research experience, but one of my profs told me that only a paid position shows enough dedication and the like. She said she doesn't take students who haven't worked for a year before applying. Apparently, 'volunteer RA' is not as good or prestigous as 'paid RA'. (I have tho been awarded a Fellowship for this summer, and was awarded a SSHRC award last summer and worked as a paid RA last summer)

Do you think this is true as well - that one needs to work a paid RA the year befor applying? For the profs whose paid positions have been filled, should I offer to volunteer instead?

And another question: I wanted to apply for a Lab Manager position to work with a professor whose research I find quite exciting and novel. He just got back to me and said that: "S, I think the world of of your research potential and that's why I don't think the Lab Manager position in my lab would be good for you. There is no real research component to the job - you would be unhappy".

But would grad schools know that there was no research component to the job? If I just wrote it down that I was working there under the position of lab manager? Doesn't that sound researchy enough?

Given that he likes me so much this professor, what should I say to him? Should I say well I want it anyway since grad schools won't know? [or would they?] Plus I worked (for pay) for him last summer, so I want grad schools to see a continuity. Plus that other professor said that it's important to have a job.

What do to!? What to do?!

Thank you for helping,

Ilovecows

... one of my profs told me that only a paid position shows enough dedication and the like. She said she doesn't take students who haven't worked for a year before applying. Apparently, 'volunteer RA' is not as good or prestigous as 'paid RA'. (I have tho been awarded a Fellowship for this summer, and was awarded a SSHRC award last summer and worked as a paid RA last summer)

I've never heard this before, and I think it's kinda dumb for the prof to have said that.... getting paid as a non-grad-student RA depends more on the prof having some extra grant funding and such than anything else. Would that prof say it's better to get paid for something totally unrelated than volunteer for something straight up your alley? I would think that being willing to do research work for free shows more dedication....

I wasn't paid for my RA work and it never came up when I applied to grad school.

Jocknerd:

*Nods* That makes me feel better. SO JockNerd, and Dr.ClinPsyAdvice (or anyone too), you really think working as a volunteer RA (so yeah, non paid) for a professor would be better than working for pay in a job that's not at all research but is clinical?
In essence, What's better? :

Volunteering w/ a professor doing research in a field I love vs. Working for pay in a clinical field (instructor therapist w/ ASD children) for Clinical PhD programs?

I don't know if the clinical part of the paid job would be good or be looked upon favourably...and make up somewhat for the non-research aspect. Isn't it important to have clinical stuff as well? I dunno.

*Nods* That makes me feel better. SO JockNerd, and Dr.ClinPsyAdvice (or anyone too), you really think working as a volunteer RA (so yeah, non paid) for a professor would be better than working for pay in a job that's not at all research but is clinical?
In essence, What's better? :

Volunteering w/ a professor doing research in a field I love vs. Working for pay in a clinical field (instructor therapist w/ ASD children) for Clinical PhD programs?

I don't know if the clinical part of the paid job would be good or be looked upon favourably...and make up somewhat for the non-research aspect. Isn't it important to have clinical stuff as well? I dunno.

Are you applying to PhD programs? I can reiterate what my prof told me about applications.... Basically, everyone and their mom has clinical experience, and almost everyone who's applying to clinical or counseling likes it in some capacity to some degree. It doesn't do much to set you apart from other applicants. On the other hand, not everyone has real, solid, applied research experience. Plenty of applicants write "I love research!" on their personal statements, with no evidence to back that up.

When I applied, I was an RA and worked with disabled adults. At interviews every prof asked about the former, and the latter was never mentioned. I'd def. take the RA position.

Are you applying to PhD programs? I can reiterate what my prof told me about applications.... Basically, everyone and their mom has clinical experience, and almost everyone who's applying to clinical or counseling likes it in some capacity to some degree. It doesn't do much to set you apart from other applicants. On the other hand, not everyone has real, solid, applied research experience. Plenty of applicants write "I love research!" on their personal statements, with no evidence to back that up.

When I applied, I was an RA and worked with disabled adults. At interviews every prof asked about the former, and the latter was never mentioned. I'd def. take the RA position.

Yes, you're right - everyone, and everyone's mom. I thought so too. But what's making this tough for me is the fact that It's going to be really hard not making any money and I've emailed a few professors - all of whom have said that the paid positions are already filled...
There are some jobs at hospitals doing research but I don't feel like asking my profs for letters for those since they're soon going to need to write letters for my grad school apps (ok, not that soon - I'll ask them in October(?)...but...ssstill...)
I think my profs would be more than happy to write me letters but ....ahh
I don't know.

Ok. Then another q: is it better to work as an RA (volunteer) for the profs that are going to write me letters, with whom I've worked with before - or is it better to work in a hospital doing research (if I get the job) for someone I've never worked with before?
The first shows continuity I guess, and the second -- more exposure to diff environments?

Which is better?
What do you think?
AHHH Thanks JN or anyone

Members don't see this ad :)
I've posted before but since my circumstances have changed somewhat, I'd like to ask you a couple questions again.

To refresh, I am a 4th year psychology undergrad. In grad school I am hoping to research substance abuse or psychopathology in children. Currently I have a 3.4 GPA but I still have 30 credit hours to bring it up. I am working in a rodent/pigeon behavior analysis lab as an undergraduate assistant. In the lab I am running my own little project with a graduate student, but I don't think that I will become published anytime in this position. I have taken 3 research methodology classes and I'm in some run of the mill extracurricular activities. My capstone senior project is a self run experiment, in which we design and run our own semester long experiment.

Right now thats all I have to offer as an applicant; obviously not real impressive. I have one year to do everything I can to make it better; so I need to know what would be the best things for me to focus on. I've considered taking an undergraduate research class in psychology or biology, but I'm not sure if that would make a significant contribution to my application.

Any ideas you have would be way appreciated!!!

Hi,

Thank you so much for starting the thread, I know we all appreciate it. Let me summarize my situation a little. I am graduating this May. I've applied to 28 schools (yes 28 lol). I've been rejected to about 12 so far, interviewed at 5 and been accepted into only 1 school so far. The school that I've been accepted into isn't funded at all, so I would have to take out loans. I was wondering if it is possible for me to be accepted elsewhere in the next 2 weeks? Or even after April 15? Then if I decide to go to the school, what is I decide to transfer after one year? How do grad schools look at that and is it possible?

There is really not such a thing as transferring. It means reapplying through the whole same process. I would suggest attending a school only if you are really excited to be there. It is a long commitment, and a decision that will remain on your CV for the rest of your career.

Hi,

ps - if you are waitlisted somewhere, you may well still get in between now and 4/15. After 4/15, all offers and extended, accepted, and done.

Hi,

Thanks so much for starting this thread!

I had a question concerning admissions into a doctoral program. I have a BA in psychology from SF state with a 3.76 GPA. I worked with a professor doing research on child and family studies for 1 year, and also did my own independent research project with another professor on gender attributes and style of dress. None of which are published. I just finished my MA in counseling from Santa Clara University, with a GPA of 3.6. I have 2 years experience with a professor working on learning behaviors and human vigilance. I am not published on either of those projects. My most recent GRE score is 1110. I applied to clinical doctoral programs and were rejected from all except the professional programs. I have decided to turn down their offers and reapply in a couple of years. I have decided that I want to focus on a forensic psychology doctoral program. Although I don't have any research experience in forensics, my clinical internship is currently with an adult forensic population. What would you suggest is the best way of gaining more experience to make myself competitive? I am planning on retaking the GRE... what else would you recommend I do? I've thought about taking a certificate program in forensic psychology- would this help my application or would it be a waste of time and money? And I was going to go to a school and volunteer as a RA in a couple of forensics labs. Is there anything additional I should do?

You got it. GRE, GRE, GRE, and also RA for the forensic research. I would invest in those two goals - not sure the other stuff will help.

Hi Dr.ClinPsyAdvice:

Thanks for being a part of this forum. I'm having some difficulty right now finding a fall JOB.
I want a paid RA position before applying to grad school - I have a ton of research experience, but one of my profs told me that only a paid position shows enough dedication and the like. She said she doesn't take students who haven't worked for a year before applying. Apparently, 'volunteer RA' is not as good or prestigous as 'paid RA'. (I have tho been awarded a Fellowship for this summer, and was awarded a SSHRC award last summer and worked as a paid RA last summer)

Do you think this is true as well - that one needs to work a paid RA the year befor applying? For the profs whose paid positions have been filled, should I offer to volunteer instead?

And another question: I wanted to apply for a Lab Manager position to work with a professor whose research I find quite exciting and novel. He just got back to me and said that: "S, I think the world of of your research potential and that's why I don't think the Lab Manager position in my lab would be good for you. There is no real research component to the job - you would be unhappy".

But would grad schools know that there was no research component to the job? If I just wrote it down that I was working there under the position of lab manager? Doesn't that sound researchy enough?

Given that he likes me so much this professor, what should I say to him? Should I say well I want it anyway since grad schools won't know? [or would they?] Plus I worked (for pay) for him last summer, so I want grad schools to see a continuity. Plus that other professor said that it's important to have a job.

What do to!? What to do?!

Thank you for helping,

Ilovecows

I disagree - research experience is research experience. Doesn't matter if the position is a paid one or not. As for the Lab Manager job, it is essential that you get research experience at this stage in which you can make an intellectual contribution (b/c it sounds like you have plenty of general experience already). So, if the prof says that the job will be not satisfying, then I imagine they are correct. I would not recommend taking a job just because the title may sound good on a CV. It is what you did and learned from the position (as reflected in your personal statement) that ultimately will make a difference

I've posted before but since my circumstances have changed somewhat, I'd like to ask you a couple questions again.

To refresh, I am a 4th year psychology undergrad. In grad school I am hoping to research substance abuse or psychopathology in children. Currently I have a 3.4 GPA but I still have 30 credit hours to bring it up. I am working in a rodent/pigeon behavior analysis lab as an undergraduate assistant. In the lab I am running my own little project with a graduate student, but I don't think that I will become published anytime in this position. I have taken 3 research methodology classes and I'm in some run of the mill extracurricular activities. My capstone senior project is a self run experiment, in which we design and run our own semester long experiment.

Right now thats all I have to offer as an applicant; obviously not real impressive. I have one year to do everything I can to make it better; so I need to know what would be the best things for me to focus on. I've considered taking an undergraduate research class in psychology or biology, but I'm not sure if that would make a significant contribution to my application.

Any ideas you have would be way appreciated!!!

You application is fine. Publications from the research are not very important, so don't feel bad about that at all. Get relevant research experience and score well on the GRE. Sounds like you may be in good shape if you can accomplish both of these things. Good luck.

You application is fine. Publications from the research are not very important, so don't feel bad about that at all. Get relevant research experience and score well on the GRE. Sounds like you may be in good shape if you can accomplish both of these things. Good luck.

Thank you for your advice!! I really do appreciate it. I'm so nervous about this whole process, just having someone to bounce things off of is very helpful. :love:

Hello,

I am a nontraditional student (35 years old) & have been accepted to a Psy.D program, and am considering attending - although this was my fallback choice. I was rejected from my first choice, and am considering reapplying next year. I am trying to choose from the following options:

1. Attend the Psy.D program for one year. My first choice school keeps the application on file for one year, & i am allowed to add recommendations if i choose. I would try to get an outside RA & thus another recommendation for my re-application.

2. The Psy.D program is not funded & extremely expensive. I could defer a year, get an RA, apply for 1st year graduate scholarships/fellowships, reapply to the first choice program & if I don't get in, attend the Psy.D program.

Do schools who offer the option of reapplication frown upon attendance at another doctorate program? Would I be able to ask professors at the Psy.D program for recommendations? What if i remained in the program afterward? Also, is it appropriate to try to find out why I was not accepted into my first choice program? Who would I contact?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Hello,

I am a nontraditional student (35 years old) & have been accepted to a Psy.D program, and am considering attending - although this was my fallback choice. I was rejected from my first choice, and am considering reapplying next year. I am trying to choose from the following options:

1. Attend the Psy.D program for one year. My first choice school keeps the application on file for one year, & i am allowed to add recommendations if i choose. I would try to get an outside RA & thus another recommendation for my re-application.

2. The Psy.D program is not funded & extremely expensive. I could defer a year, get an RA, apply for 1st year graduate scholarships/fellowships, reapply to the first choice program & if I don't get in, attend the Psy.D program.

Do schools who offer the option of reapplication frown upon attendance at another doctorate program? Would I be able to ask professors at the Psy.D program for recommendations? What if i remained in the program afterward? Also, is it appropriate to try to find out why I was not accepted into my first choice program? Who would I contact?

I am not Dr.ClinPsy, but here is my 2 c
I think it's a really bad idea to attend the PsyD if you want to leave in a year.
# 1. it'd be disruptive to you and the prof
# 2. you probably will be unlikely to have time to work as an RA outside of your PsyD work
# 3. I doubt highly that profs in your PsyD program would love writing you a letter for another program
# 4. you still might not get in to the 1st choice program, then you'd be "stuck" at the school it seems like you don't want to go to. That'd be a long 5+ years

You asked if it's a good idea to contact schools you didn't get into? There's advice on that earlier in the thread :)
Dr. ClinPsy said that a) it's probably best to wait until after April 15, b) there's not much to say if one didn't an interview

Just my advice + the earlier post, but I'm sure others can be helpful too ...I'm not too familiar with PsyD programs as I've only been looking at the PhD stuff.

P.S. - Congrats on getting into the PsyD program but don't go there if you'll hate it. You'll be unhappy.

First, as so many others have said, thank you so much for this thread! It's been incredibly informative and has saved me tons of time in combing through past posts on this forum!

I have a quick etiquette question from a personal situation. I'm an intern at a psychiatric rehabilitation program (PRP), and I'm working on an independent research project in conjunction with my school (senior thesis) and the PRP. There is potential to make this research project much bigger than it is, by asking other local institutions around us to collaborate. One of the researchers who I would like to ask to collaborate is who I would really love to work with as my graduate school mentor, at my #1 choice school.

In thinking about it, I feel kind of sneaky because the researcher doesn't know that I want to apply to work with him for grad. school (application in '09 for grad. school in '10). Should I tell him in advance, if he does accept to collaborate on the project, or just let it happen...? I don't want to put myself in an awkward situation before I even get to the application process.

Thanks!

Wow, this is a great resource! I have two questions:

1. I'll be applying to PhD programs this fall, as well as for a Fulbright grant. In general, are PhD programs willing to defer accepted students for a year for something like a Fulbright? Or would it come down to a choice between grad school and the Fulbright? I don't want to apply, potentially get accepted, and then have to reneg if I get the grant, but at the same time, I don't want to waste another year in case the Fulbright doesn't come through.

2. If a program says the subject GRE is strongly recommended but not required, what do they think of students who don't take it? I've heard that no one is ever turned down at my current university for not having the psych GRE, but I don't know if that generalizes.

Thanks!

1. I'll be applying to PhD programs this fall, as well as for a Fulbright grant. In general, are PhD programs willing to defer accepted students for a year for something like a Fulbright? Or would it come down to a choice between grad school and the Fulbright? I don't want to apply, potentially get accepted, and then have to reneg if I get the grant, but at the same time, I don't want to waste another year in case the Fulbright doesn't come through.

2. If a program says the subject GRE is strongly recommended but not required, what do they think of students who don't take it? I've heard that no one is ever turned down at my current university for not having the psych GRE, but I don't know if that generalizes.

Thanks!

the DR. will likely have more/bettter info on the utility of taking the psych gre when it is not required for schools, but in general, if it would help you, then take it -- in my opinion, it's one of the easier hurdles to leap on the road to grad school. i mean have to study for it a lot, but i had been out of school almost 10 years, studied intensely for 2.5/3 wks while working 60 hr. weeks, and got a 730. coming right out of undergrad as you are, with your coursework still fresh and clearly being someone who is good at academic type tasks, the psych GRE is just like a large m/c test. so if it may help your app., take a practice test (the ets one) and see where you stand -- it'll likely be better than you think.

First of all, thank you for all of your responses thus far - it is much appreciated!

I was wondering if you knew how graduate schools for clinical psychology, specifically PhD programs, view applicants whom took off two years after undergrad to engage in the Peace Corps or AmeriCorps? I realize that perhaps they aren't given as much consideration as undergrad who worked in research settings perhaps, but I thought that the value of service to others as well as the expanded experiences through which to bring to the program may outweigh this, or at least bring Peace Corps vet applicants on equal par with peers that took time off for research positions.

How would you view an applicant whom is returning from the Peace Corps or Americorps and whom otherwise is well-prepared for clinical PHD program?

Thank you:)

Does going into the Peace Corps after undergraduate hurt my chances of getting into a Clinical PHD program when I return after two years of service?

Thanks!

I'm an older (29) & stereotypically Southern gal. Needless to explain, I have at least a half dozen or so hang-ups about unsolicited communication.

If you have a moment, I would enjoy hearing your personal preference for the most appropriate ways for students to initiate contact on the following, quite specific, occasions:
  • letters of rec request if they haven't been your student for a few years
  • emails of interest to establish contact or ask questions about your research
  • emails of interest to ask specific questions about your program
Additionally, if you've heard of preferences of others whose opinions differ from your own, I'd love to add those examples to my little knowledge garden. I suppose I'm especially interested in whether or not any of the above are faux pas.

I refer to myself as a "recovering social worker" and found it easy to contact the big dogs in that field during my MSW program. However, for whatever reason, I'm terribly afraid of offending these psychology folk.

Any information you can offer is greatly appreciated. Be well.

Hello,

It is really not a good idea to attend a program with the intent of leaving. And there is no real 'transfer' of doctoral programs (unless you move with your advisor) - it is odd to review a student who is already in school and it raises questions you don't want raised.

First, as so many others have said, thank you so much for this thread! It's been incredibly informative and has saved me tons of time in combing through past posts on this forum!

I have a quick etiquette question from a personal situation. I'm an intern at a psychiatric rehabilitation program (PRP), and I'm working on an independent research project in conjunction with my school (senior thesis) and the PRP. There is potential to make this research project much bigger than it is, by asking other local institutions around us to collaborate. One of the researchers who I would like to ask to collaborate is who I would really love to work with as my graduate school mentor, at my #1 choice school.

In thinking about it, I feel kind of sneaky because the researcher doesn't know that I want to apply to work with him for grad. school (application in '09 for grad. school in '10). Should I tell him in advance, if he does accept to collaborate on the project, or just let it happen...? I don't want to put myself in an awkward situation before I even get to the application process.

Thanks!

Either way would be fine. It sounds like a natural collaboration and then obvious grad school option for you, so it is unlikely that someone would feel duped in the process

Thanks!

It is very hard to defer for a year - because the funding that is used for your admission may no longer be available a year later. It's possible, but risky!! And this will vary a lot by school and mentor. Unfortunately, you may be in a position at some point to make a tough choice.

As for the psych GRE - if it is not required, don't worry about it. It is probably mostly relevant for applicants who have not majored in psych, or applicants who majored at an unknown school. Most programs do not seem to place much weight on the Psych GRE.

First of all, thank you for all of your responses thus far - it is much appreciated!

I was wondering if you knew how graduate schools for clinical psychology, specifically PhD programs, view applicants whom took off two years after undergrad to engage in the Peace Corps or AmeriCorps? I realize that perhaps they aren't given as much consideration as undergrad who worked in research settings perhaps, but I thought that the value of service to others as well as the expanded experiences through which to bring to the program may outweigh this, or at least bring Peace Corps vet applicants on equal par with peers that took time off for research positions.

How would you view an applicant whom is returning from the Peace Corps or Americorps and whom otherwise is well-prepared for clinical PHD program?

Thank you:)

Those are terrific experiences! But not the same as research experience, and ultimately will not 'make up' for a lack of research experience.

I'm an older (29) & stereotypically Southern gal. Needless to explain, I have at least a half dozen or so hang-ups about unsolicited communication.

If you have a moment, I would enjoy hearing your personal preference for the most appropriate ways for students to initiate contact on the following, quite specific, occasions:
  • letters of rec request if they haven't been your student for a few years
  • emails of interest to establish contact or ask questions about your research
  • emails of interest to ask specific questions about your program
Additionally, if you've heard of preferences of others whose opinions differ from your own, I'd love to add those examples to my little knowledge garden. I suppose I'm especially interested in whether or not any of the above are faux pas.

I refer to myself as a "recovering social worker" and found it easy to contact the big dogs in that field during my MSW program. However, for whatever reason, I'm terribly afraid of offending these psychology folk.

Any information you can offer is greatly appreciated. Be well.

It's unlikely that you will offend anyone. It may be important to realize that some faculty will be slow or unresponsive to these emails. A letter of rec request is not a problem at all - hopefully the faculty member remembers you, but a brief paragraph reminding them of your interactions and work together is a nice way to begin such a request.

As for emails about research or the program, many faculty develop detailed websites to help answer these questions. We get dozens and dozens of these emails and it is difficult to answer them all. Be sure to examine the website and get as much info as you can from there. If you have a question that cannot be answered from the info online, only write if it is a real question. An email just to get your name on their screen is not actually very helpful to your application at all, and some people even will see it as a nuisance.

I would really appreciate advice on this matter ! I'm a bit worried :p..I'll be applying to PhD clinical psych programs this coming Sept to start next Sept.

So this upcoming summer I'll be working on a study with a professor - we plan, if results are what we think they'll be, to turn the study into a paper for submission to a peer reviewed journal. I would be first-author on this paper.

Now, I do have some previous research experience ......I've been working in psych research since Dec 05. I've worked with 8 different professors since then. In working with those professors, I have done 2 independent research projects, 1 supervised mini-thesis, have one publication [needs to be resubmitted], and a some other paid & non-paid research assistant work. I have been awarded a SSHRC [research grant for Canada, kind of like NSERC], a Psychology research grant, and was recently awarded a University Fellowship Tuition Award and even more recently a Fellowship usually only offered to graduate students by the supervisor I'll be working with in the summer.

BUT. All my past experience is a mix of really random stuff. Except for the paper [potential] that might come from work this summer...none of it is at all related to stuff I want to do in graduate school. I know you said before that this is not necessarily bad.

Just that I'm quite confused with what to do after the summer ...what kind of research experience would be looked upon favourably? Any?

In this time before applying, after the summer, Is it better to work with a professor I've worked with before [one of the 8] or find someone new to work with...? If I find someone new to work with what does that say? I don't want to seem completely unfocused...but then I also want to show I have exposure to a lot of different research. AH. :[ Or have I already shown this? Is it better now, given that I'll be applying fairly soon, to gain a better focus and just stick to working with the professor I'll be working with in the summer (even if it is working for free) or go find someone new who is also working on stuff that I'd be interested in doing for graduate school?

Sorry for the long message. But you're the best person to ask. I really appreciate your advice. It has served me well thus far :)

ADD IN:
Is it vital if applying to clinical psych grad programs to have Clinical Research experience?

Goofy question (for anyone, actually)...

What's the 411 on tattoos? I have one on my forearm (an atom & a phrase in Latin). Naturally, it was covered by long sleeves/suit jackets for interviews. Is it going to be a shock when I show up in the fall? In the general population, tattoos aren't really taboo anymore, but how are they looked at in the "upper" psych world?

What's the 411 on tattoos? I have one on my forearm (an atom & a phrase in Latin). Naturally, it was covered by long sleeves/suit jackets for interviews. Is it going to be a shock when I show up in the fall? In the general population, tattoos aren't really taboo anymore, but how are they looked at in the "upper" psych world?

I have a tattoo on my foot that the DCT of a school I interviewed at noticed at the 'after party'. He thought it was cool, we talked about tats for a while, and I was accepted into the program. I could see how it would vary by program (and prof) but as long as it can be easily covered (and it sounds like yours is) I don't see it being a huge problem. Besides, by the time they notice, they are already stuck with you :p

Besides, by the time they notice, they are already stuck with you :p

Well, that's what I was kind of thinking, but I didn't know if it made me an @ss to think that way! :laugh:

Ok, yes, me again...sorry...but...

AH. Worried.

Publication A (needs to be resubmitted) = research for work I am completely uninterested in
Publication B (potential) = research for work I am 100% interested in
Both first-authored.

Some research experience = not 100%, but much more related to what I want to do for graduate studies than publication A

Does it matter if I don't ask the person with whom I have publication A with for a letter and instead ask one of my profs from who I got an award for a letter? Does it look as funny/questionable as not asking a thesis supervisor for a letter?

I will ask person from publication B for sure. Does that make up for not asking person from publication A?

Thanks!

Was being a procrastinator [I should be studying for exams!!] and was looking through other university's undergraduate programs in psych. I just read one university's website whereby undergraduates can repeat courses and the higher mark is calculated as part of their CGPA for their transcript, the lower mark is not calculated into their CGPA even though it still appears on their transcript -- and they can do this, EVEN IF JUST WANTING TO RAISE THEIR MARKS!

My university doesn't allow such a thing. But it seems kind of unfair. I know from your earlier posts you said that a transcript is rarely scrutinized. Thus if a person from that university had a higher GPA than me, because they got to repeat courses that they did poorly in, but I, because of my university, have to be stuck with a 77 for one my grades :eek:...isn't that ...unfair ?

Or would in a case like that, a professor take note of the repeated course? Thus at least leveling the playing field ...

Thanks muchly,

ilovecows

ADD - IN:

Is it true that one's last 2 years of undergrad can count more than one's CGPA? I was watching a video that spoke of applying to psych grad school (yes, I was procrastinating) and they said not to talk about how your grades got higher from 1st year (they said because most people's do) and said that grad schools know that and thus generally grad schools consider one's last 2 years as more important in calculating the GPA. I don't know....what's your take of this message?

*IF* I wanted to explain why my grades in a particular year were less than stellar ...or even still good, but way below my "ability" - is it better to do this via the little box on an application form that asks for "any reasons for which your grades might not reflect your ability" (or whatever it says) or should it be mentioned somewhere in the PS, something to the effect of : Although my grades suffered during the year of X due to struggle with a personal medical issue, I was able to work through this issue, as can be noted in my significantly higher grades in the years following.

(of course, it would be more eloquently written)

---or---is it better to have one's letter writer speak to the fact that grades in a particular year are non-reflective of my actual ability? Would this hold more credible, since a 'superior' is acknowledging it?

Or even still, Is it better to have both self- and letter writer- disclosure?

I was told by one of my profs that I : Shouldn't give away my exact diagnosis because professors may draw too many conclusions, but I could but it was my choice disclose that I had been going through a rough time in a particular year...

Also, if the grades were not necessarily bad in and of themselves, just bad compared to the rest of my grades, is it better to just leave 'good enough alone' and not call attention to it in any way at all? Or would they notice a significant discrepancy (there is) btwn those marks and my others and thus want some form of explanation?

Thanks for helping us here on this forum. Your help is appreciated more than you know.

Also, if the grades were not necessarily bad in and of themselves, just bad compared to the rest of my grades, is it better to just leave 'good enough alone' and not call attention to it in any way at all? Or would they notice a significant discrepancy (there is) btwn those marks and my others and thus want some form of explanation?

this may help too:
DrClinPsych: In your opinion, what is the type of GPA that should warrant a comment in your application or letter of recommendation? 3.0? 3.2? 3.4?

thank you!!

I would really appreciate advice on this matter ! I'm a bit worried :p..I'll be applying to PhD clinical psych programs this coming Sept to start next Sept.

So this upcoming summer I'll be working on a study with a professor - we plan, if results are what we think they'll be, to turn the study into a paper for submission to a peer reviewed journal. I would be first-author on this paper.

Now, I do have some previous research experience ......I've been working in psych research since Dec 05. I've worked with 8 different professors since then. In working with those professors, I have done 2 independent research projects, 1 supervised mini-thesis, have one publication [needs to be resubmitted], and a some other paid & non-paid research assistant work. I have been awarded a SSHRC [research grant for Canada, kind of like NSERC], a Psychology research grant, and was recently awarded a University Fellowship Tuition Award and even more recently a Fellowship usually only offered to graduate students by the supervisor I'll be working with in the summer.

BUT. All my past experience is a mix of really random stuff. Except for the paper [potential] that might come from work this summer...none of it is at all related to stuff I want to do in graduate school. I know you said before that this is not necessarily bad.

Just that I'm quite confused with what to do after the summer ...what kind of research experience would be looked upon favourably? Any?

In this time before applying, after the summer, Is it better to work with a professor I've worked with before [one of the 8] or find someone new to work with...? If I find someone new to work with what does that say? I don't want to seem completely unfocused...but then I also want to show I have exposure to a lot of different research. AH. :[ Or have I already shown this? Is it better now, given that I'll be applying fairly soon, to gain a better focus and just stick to working with the professor I'll be working with in the summer (even if it is working for free) or go find someone new who is also working on stuff that I'd be interested in doing for graduate school?

Sorry for the long message. But you're the best person to ask. I really appreciate your advice. It has served me well thus far :)

ADD IN:
Is it vital if applying to clinical psych grad programs to have Clinical Research experience?

It sounds like you have plenty of research experience. I recommend that you do what you want to do. It's probably time to stop strategizing and just enjoy your work. That ultimately will be the best thing to convey on an interview anyway

Not a big deal - as long as it is not grossly inappropriate or might alienate potential clients, research participants in an outrageous way

Ok, yes, me again...sorry...but...

AH. Worried.

Publication A (needs to be resubmitted) = research for work I am completely uninterested in
Publication B (potential) = research for work I am 100% interested in
Both first-authored.

Some research experience = not 100%, but much more related to what I want to do for graduate studies than publication A

Does it matter if I don't ask the person with whom I have publication A with for a letter and instead ask one of my profs from who I got an award for a letter? Does it look as funny/questionable as not asking a thesis supervisor for a letter?

I will ask person from publication B for sure. Does that make up for not asking person from publication A?

Thanks!

It could be OK either way, but probably important to have a thesis advisor write a letter

Was being a procrastinator [I should be studying for exams!!] and was looking through other university's undergraduate programs in psych. I just read one university's website whereby undergraduates can repeat courses and the higher mark is calculated as part of their CGPA for their transcript, the lower mark is not calculated into their CGPA even though it still appears on their transcript -- and they can do this, EVEN IF JUST WANTING TO RAISE THEIR MARKS!

My university doesn't allow such a thing. But it seems kind of unfair. I know from your earlier posts you said that a transcript is rarely scrutinized. Thus if a person from that university had a higher GPA than me, because they got to repeat courses that they did poorly in, but I, because of my university, have to be stuck with a 77 for one my grades :eek:...isn't that ...unfair ?

Or would in a case like that, a professor take note of the repeated course? Thus at least leveling the playing field ...

Thanks muchly,

ilovecows

ADD - IN:

Is it true that one's last 2 years of undergrad can count more than one's CGPA? I was watching a video that spoke of applying to psych grad school (yes, I was procrastinating) and they said not to talk about how your grades got higher from 1st year (they said because most people's do) and said that grad schools know that and thus generally grad schools consider one's last 2 years as more important in calculating the GPA. I don't know....what's your take of this message?

It is really important to keep the forest in mind here, and not just the many, detailed trees. An overall applicant is evaluated and no one single thing will make all of the difference in an admission decision.

*IF* I wanted to explain why my grades in a particular year were less than stellar ...or even still good, but way below my "ability" - is it better to do this via the little box on an application form that asks for "any reasons for which your grades might not reflect your ability" (or whatever it says) or should it be mentioned somewhere in the PS, something to the effect of : Although my grades suffered during the year of X due to struggle with a personal medical issue, I was able to work through this issue, as can be noted in my significantly higher grades in the years following.

(of course, it would be more eloquently written)

---or---is it better to have one's letter writer speak to the fact that grades in a particular year are non-reflective of my actual ability? Would this hold more credible, since a 'superior' is acknowledging it?

Or even still, Is it better to have both self- and letter writer- disclosure?

I was told by one of my profs that I : Shouldn't give away my exact diagnosis because professors may draw too many conclusions, but I could but it was my choice disclose that I had been going through a rough time in a particular year...

Thanks for helping us here on this forum. Your help is appreciated more than you know.

I agree that drawing attention to an issue can backfire, and should only be done when really quite necessary

this may help too:
DrClinPsych: In your opinion, what is the type of GPA that should warrant a comment in your application or letter of recommendation? 3.0? 3.2? 3.4?

thank you!!

For PhD programs, you may want to justify a GPA below 3.4 or so, because otherwise the GPA may be too low for further consideration.

For PhD programs, you may want to justify a GPA below 3.4 or so, because otherwise the GPA may be too low for further consideration.

What if one's CUMMULATIVE GPA is > than 3.4 but in one year of school a GPA fell to below 3.4, but still even with that one year of < 3.4 the GPA is above 3.4 should it be brought up or not?

Thanxs!

What if one's CUMMULATIVE GPA is > than 3.4 but in one year of school a GPA fell to below 3.4, but still even with that one year of < 3.4 the GPA is above 3.4 should it be brought up or not?

Thanxs!

Cumulative GPA is often all that is noted in an application when reviewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.