Advice/My Chances 2.3 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopepraylove12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a 4th year Biological Sciences major at the University of Chicago, and I am (almost) set to graduate come this June. I am set on going to medical school, and I really need to know what my chances are and the best options I can take to reconcile for my poor GPA.

As hard as this is for me, I'm just going to lay it all on the table:

I have a 1.92 Science GPA (for 52 hours) and currently a 2.33 cumulative GPA. It has honestly been a long and hard road over these past four years and I'm not sure how it got to this point. I need advice on how to proceed after this and some steps I can take after I graduate to improve my GPA and increase my chances. The good news (I think) is that I have not taken the MCAT yet, so I still have a chance to do really well on that.

In terms of extracurriculars, I was a very active student during the first 3 years, in various Student Organizations (medically and non-medically related), did a summer volunteering for Health Leads, amongst other things, but don't have a substantial amount of shadowing hours, nor have taken part in any kind of research. I am willing to do anything I can to get into med school at this point, so any advice would be helpful!

Doing a post-bac program has been the clear option for me. However, I applied to a post-bac program and wasn't accepted because it was a one year program and I would have only been able to take 22 hours of science classes, and they insisted I wouldn't have been able to bring my GPA up to around a 3.0 in their 1 year program. I am still keeping my hopes up, however, and am applying to a few more.

I am currently enrolled in 4 science classes now, so there is also hope to bring my cumulative and science GPAs up a little before I graduate. I am very optimistic right now, but I know its going to be a lot of hard work just to reach the minimum requirements!

Thanks for your help in advance; I really need it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am a 4th year Biological Sciences major at the University of Chicago, and I am (almost) set to graduate come this June. I am set on going to medical school, and I really need to know what my chances are and the best options I can take to reconcile for my poor GPA.

I have a 1.92 Science GPA (for 52 hours) and currently a 2.33 cumulative GPA. It has honestly been a long and hard road over these past four years and I'm not sure how it got to this point. I need advice on how to proceed after this and some steps I can take after I graduate to improve my GPA and increase my chances. The good news (I think) is that I have not taken the MCAT yet, so I still have a chance to do really well on that.

In terms of extracurriculars, I was a very active student during the first 3 years, in various Student Organizations (medically and non-medically related), did a summer volunteering for Health Leads, amongst other things, but don't have a substantial amount of shadowing hours, nor have taken part in any kind of research. I am willing to do anything I can to get into med school at this point, so any advice would be helpful!

Doing a post-bac program has been the clear option for me. However, I applied to a post-bac program and wasn't accepted because it was a one year program and I would have only been able to take 22 hours of science classes, and they insisted I wouldn't have been able to bring my GPA up to around a 3.0 in their 1 year program. I am still keeping my hopes up, however, and am applying to a few more.

I am currently enrolled in 4 science classes now, so there is also hope to bring my cumulative and science GPAs up a little before I graduate. I am very optimistic right now, but I know its going to be a lot of hard work just to reach the minimum requirements!

If I were in your position, and I knew that I wouldn't settle for anything other than becoming a dr, then I would look into a 2 year masters/post-bac program, or any 2 year post bac program. That is the only option I can think of at this point?

With gpa that low, I would suggest you pursue a second bachelors

Members don't see this ad :)
Go for DO, use their retake policy in your favor. Their retake policy can help you so much if you change all those Fs to As.

A 2.3? Assuming you have 90 credits, you would need 64 hours of a 4.0 to raise your gpa to 3.0 which is 4 semesters at 16 credits. Then with a good mcat you can maybe get into an SMP or with a way good mcat, maybe into a state school or DO school. DO schools do grade replacement so if you retake classes they will dismiss the old grades and your gpa will jump drastically. it has to be the same class with same or more credits. you can also try for informal post baccs. At this point, don't even think about the mcat. you have a lot of work ahead of you.

OP needs to consider if retaking classes will indeed yield As. Do NOT take the MCAT...waste of time and money right now. I'd also like to know why OP thinks he'd do well on MCAT, given his poor academic performance to date.

Go for DO, use their retake policy in your favor. Their retake policy can help you so much if you change all those Fs to As.

OP, the rx for you is to get your cGPA and sGPA up to a 3.0 at minimum and do an SMP after that. You can do postbac work or do a second bachelor's, your choice. At this point I agree with Goro. What makes you think you have what it takes to get into medical school? Your scores seem to be consistently poor, and throwing money and time at this problem may not be productive. Something to think about...

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for all your responses! As hard as it is to hear what you guys are saying, I'm glad you'll are being honest!

Quick question: Because I have taken all of these classes at the U of C, would retaking them somewhere else be beneficial? I don't really know anything about DO medical schools, but say I were to retake some classes at a community college or state school such as University of Illinois (Chicago), what would they think, as U of C is definitely known for its rigorous course work? Idk. Do you guys think all hope is lost at this point?

Thank you everyone for all your responses! As hard as it is to hear what you guys are saying, I'm glad you'll are being honest!

Quick question: Because I have taken all of these classes at the U of C, would retaking them somewhere else be beneficial? I don't really know anything about DO medical schools, but say I were to retake some classes at a community college or state school such as University of Illinois (Chicago), what would they think, as U of C is definitely known for its rigorous course work? Idk. Do you guys think all hope is lost at this point?

DO and MD are considered equivalent. You can do anything with DO that you can with MD. Realistically MD is probably out of the question. You would have to go to school for another 5-6 years full time with a perfect 4.0 GPA to get back to where you might be at all competitive. With DO you can retake all the courses on your transcript that you did poorly in (anything sub 3.0) and replace your grade. Don't retake the courses at a CC. If you retake all the courses and get A's in them from a CC it will likely be attributed to the school and not any changes you've made. You need to prove to adcoms that you aren't the same person. I'd say enroll in a state school and retake anything below a B. Make sure you get A's. I would figure out why your grades are so poor before enrolling. Are you simply not trying? Are you having trouble paying attention or focusing on tests/exams? If you are genuinely trying your hardest, doing everything you can and still receiving poor grades, it might be time to look into something else.

technically you can retake the classes anywhere and you can argue AACOMAS with course descriptions, and some times it won't be an issue. For example General Physics at one school could mean the same at another. The problem is when you get Intro Physics at one schools an General Physics at one. They could be the same class so it is on you to prove it, not on AACOMAS to prove it isn't. Plus you have big problems when you are crossing over between quarter units and semester units.

other schools have no real benefit so it is up to you. retaking at the same school may ultimately be easier because you don't have to worry about anything, but i retook physics at a different school and didn't have any issues. just look into it before you do it.

Hi all,

I don't think your record is salvageable with postbaccs or SMPs. I think you need a second Bachelor's. Don't waste time and money going for it until you've corrected whatever it was that sent you spiraling so deep.

MCAT should not even be in the back of your mind right now. Even if you were to get a 45T, it would probably expire before you were even back above auto-cutoffs, even assuming a high GPA (3.7+), which seems awfully optimistic given your record. No matter what people say, you can't 100% just will yourself into a 4.0 - perfection always requires an element of luck, since we are ALL imperfect.

ECs are nice, but drop any of them the second you start teetering on the edge of the abyss again.

Really, I'm tempted to ask what consideration you've given to other careers, but I don't know what happened before. I guess if it's 100% resolved, there's no reason you couldn't be a good medical student in a few years, once you've completed another degree. If you can't swear to YOURSELF, with full honesty, that those issues are gone for good, however, forget medical school. It is far more demanding than a mere bachelor's.

Edit: Another reason to consider a second bachelor's is that, unfortunately, I don't see what foundation you'd have right now to do higher-level science work. You really have to start back at the 100s and work yourself up. In other words, a bachelor's degree.

Last edited:
Hi all,

:laugh:

The nice thing to do would be to offer advice, but mother of god, that's just a horrid GPA for a 4th year. What's on my mind wether you can even handle studying for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure your chances are all that good. You're at UChicago, whose curriculum is, I imagine, quite rigorous. But nevertheless, it pales in comparison to what you will have to do as a med student or even studying for the MCAT. If you are really passionate and insistent that this is what you want, then I think you should trying to get into a masters program and do EXCEPTIONALLY well. I wouldn't settle for anything but As at that point. At least that way you can argue how you have improved, what you have learned, etc.

I'm not sure your chances are all that good. You're at UChicago, whose curriculum is, I imagine, quite rigorous. But nevertheless, it pales in comparison to what you will have to do as a med student or even studying for the MCAT. If you are really passionate and insistent that this is what you want, then I think you should trying to get into a masters program and do EXCEPTIONALLY well. I wouldn't settle for anything but As at that point. At least that way you can argue how you have improved, what you have learned, etc.

The problem with a Masters is that it could potentially give him a 4.0 mGPA...on top of his pitiful uGPA, which would still get him screened out. He has to, at the very least, do a 2-year postbac (look at the numbers crunched near the beginning of the thread), and since repeating basic classes won't help very much, and he probably doesn't have a chance of doing well in upper-levels with such a feeble foundation, it really is best to just go for the second bachelor's.

Edit: Apparently it is possible to get by from this point on repair, according to a poster further down. You still better be in top form before you try though.

Last edited:
He doesn't have a chance at MD with a 2.3 GPA. There's no grade rehab he can do that can pull his ass out of the fire.

If he wants to pursue medicine, he'll have to do DO with extensive grade replacements. That's the only way to turn a 2.3 into a 3.3+. MD is out of the question unless daddy buys a new wing at his medical school of choice.

He doesn't have a chance at MD with a 2.3 GPA. There's no grade rehab he can do that can pull his ass out of the fire.

No.

OP I did it in two years, graduating from a similar school (hah take a guess which one) with a 2.55 AMCAS. Here's how I did it:

One summer (where i took a 3 credit bio class and took the MCAT, got a 33) + One year + a second summer of all science courses. 3.9x GPA (one B, all A's). Got me up to like a 2.84. This was a post-bacc program of the type where you enroll at a random state school (a small one near your home), tell them you're a second-degree student (so you don't get screwed with registration times), and retake some bio classes and take some new ones (for instance, I retook Orgo 1 and 2 which I had a C and D in). I hope you're not already a bio major, one of my saving graces was only having taken bio 1 and 2.

I used my near-4.0 year of classes and my 33 MCAT to leverage my way into an SMP. I got a 4.0 in my first semester of my SMP, and then realized i was ~3 classes away at my post-bacc institution from receiving a second degree (and i'd be at near-valedictorian status, if i was even eligible). I took a leave of absence from my SMP and did a 3rd post-bacc semester at 4.0. I ended up with a 2.98 GPA undergrad and a 4.0 grad GPA in two years. I applied that June and got in in July EDP (I was in contact with admissions at multiple schools, especially my state school, because of my special situation and desire to gain advice and network).

My advice for you: at least one year, probably two, of undergrad courses. Don't rush your MCAT because it's possible it will expire before you apply if you need an extra year. Take an MCAT course (Kaplan did it for me, I improved literally 10 points from my first MCAT) over the summer and pretty much dedicate a summer to that MCAT. You want mid-30's. Beat my 33. After two years, you should be enrolled in an SMP for the third year. You should apply before or after the SMP depending on feedback you're receiving. In two years you can probably get a second bachelors degree (they're easy), so why not graduate Phi Beta Kappa the second time around like I did, and see if you can make an argument to be valedictorian. I can see you applying after those two years and using your SMP grades as updates throughout the app season, though your numbers will still suck at that point. The other option is to apply after the two years and a third being the 1 of you acing an SMP. Yes, all this is easier said than done, but hey i just did it. Good luck. PM me if you'd ever like to.

If your MCAT doesn't turn out well and/or you start burning out at any point, and you still feel like when put on even ground you would work your hardest given a second chance and excel among your peers, I'd duck out to SGU. It was my backup plan.

#payingitforward

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No.

OP I did it in two years, graduating from a similar school (hah take a guess which one) with a 2.55 AMCAS. Here's how I did it...

You must have had an upward trend at least. Nobody goes from a D science average to a 4.0 overnight but that's what OP requires.

I didn't.

I did.

Huh. Ok, then. I pulled off a major GPA comeback because I went from engineering to science and I'm actually good at science. Hats off to you for doing a massive about face. :D

Hi all,

You have some hurdles ahead. Are your non-science grades okay? Maybe you can retake Fs, Ds, and Cs (in that order) in science classes at a cheaper and easier community college. Get to a 3.2 or something like that and then apply DO only. It's just gonna be really hard with that gpa.

---

Edit: If you are Black a 3.0/24 gets you a 53.8% chance of acceptance. The numbers are less encouraging for other URMs. If you're Asian, a 3.0/24 gets you a 5.2% chance of acceptance.

Last edited:
no chance at all for MD. Still in the running for DO....maybe.

You have some hurdles ahead. Are your non-science grades okay? Maybe you can retake Fs, Ds, and Cs (in that order) in science classes at a cheaper and easier community college. Get to a 3.2 or something like that and then apply DO only. It's just gonna be really hard with that gpa.

---

Edit: If you are Black a 3.0/24 gets you a 53.8% chance of acceptance. The numbers are less encouraging for other URMs. If you're Asian, a 3.0/24 gets you a 5.2% chance of acceptance.

Why assume a 24 MCAT? We all know OP will not be considering applying with a 24, so those statistics are moot. I recall my statistics (2.98, 33mcat) being around 33% chance, me being an azn.

Why assume a 24 MCAT? We all know OP will not be considering applying with a 24, so those statistics are moot. I recall my statistics (2.98, 33mcat) being around 33% chance, me being an azn.

I'm just saying if OP is Black, his uphill battle won't be quite so long. But ya if he's Asian he has no shot, and he dishonor family.

A note to everyone posting on here from low tier and state universities:

University of Chicago is one of the most elite undergrads in the nation and has a long standing tradition for both grade deflation and rigorous curriculum. The school prides itself in challenging students and making sure they get an education worthy of their tuition. The students who have gotten into Uchicago are among the most intelligent students in the nation and you will never be sitting in a classroom with a bunch of 1200 SAT goofs who perform marginally. Cutoffs are tough business and it is very hard to get even average marks.

Now, OP, adcoms do understand the curriculum at Uchicago. The only problem is that if this is your real GPA you do need a lot of work. I would suggest post bac classes.

I disagree with everyone saying to not even think about the MCAT. You see, your 2.whatever could and would easily translate to a 3.9 at Run-of-the-mill U. Remember, you got into Uchicago and probably other great colleges. You had to have done well on the SAT. YOU ARE SMARTER THAN MOST PREMEDS. Remember that, don't let the kids who went to uncompetitive universities intimidate you with their high GPAs. It doesn't mean much. You saving grace is the MCAT. If you push a 35+, and do well in your post bad years you will get into medical (and a good medical school the higher you push that MCAT).

Don't give it, and remember that if you once had intelligence, you always will have intelligence. You were better than the average population coming out of high school and you still are.

University of Chicago is one of the most elite undergrads in the nation and has a long standing tradition for both grade deflation and rigorous curriculum. The school prides itself in challenging students and making sure they get an education worthy of their tuition. The students who have gotten into Uchicago are among the most intelligent students in the nation and you will never be sitting in a classroom with a bunch of 1200 SAT goofs who perform marginally. Cutoffs are tough business and it is very hard to get even average marks.

Now, OP, adcoms do understand the curriculum at Uchicago. The only problem is that if this is your real GPA you do need a lot of work. I would suggest post bac classes.

I disagree with everyone saying to not even think about the MCAT. You see, your 2.whatever could and would easily translate to a 3.9 at Run-of-the-mill U. Remember, you got into Uchicago and probably other great colleges. You had to have done well on the SAT. YOU ARE SMARTER THAN MOST PREMEDS. Remember that, don't let the kids who went to uncompetitive universities intimidate you with their high GPAs. It doesn't mean much. You saving grace is the MCAT. If you push a 35+, and do well in your post bad years you will get into medical (and a good medical school the higher you push that MCAT).

Don't give it, and remember that if you once had intelligence, you always will have intelligence. You were better than the average population coming out of high school and you still are.
you are an idiot

This is the stupidest reply to a thread I've ever seen. You really think undergrad matters when your GPA is dog ****? A 2.3 GPA gets you into NOWHERE, even if you are the old guy who says you prefer Dos Equis in a stupid commercial.
i dont always get bad grades but when i do, its at a prestigious university :cool:

Unless the people I have spoken to are all misinformed/lying to me, as it is currently run, the SAT is bulls**t. If you take it multiple times, you only have to report your highest sections, and you don't need to report that you took it multiple times. You can basically prepare like crazy for just one section at a time and then add up the best scores and pretend it was something you scored on your first try.

Also, high school GPA is more about having parents push you to do all your homework/class projects than being super smart.

If anything, high school just shows you can do work for 4 years and aren't completely unintelligent.

I would consider taking a year off to take extra classes and maybe you should look around for medical school bridge program (getting your masters before medical school). A lot of these programs are 1 year programs and designed to help students that are lacking in one area or another (at least, that is what I was told about the one I am trying to get into). There are many benefits to this because the class size is small, you get to do some of the work 1st year medical students do, you meet a lot of the medical school staff and if you do well, you stand a good chance of going to medical school after. In fact, my program that I am applying to usually accepts the students that do well into their own medical school. These are very competitive though so let that be a warning. Please do not give up though! If this is really what you want, then let that drive you. Good luck!

Sorry, but this is patently false. People from UChicago, Northwestern and many other top tier universities manage to get 3.6+ grades needed to get into medical school.

Do not listen to this. I will call a spade a spade and say your GPA is too low to ever consider MD. I do this not to spite you, but to give you the truth so that you don't waste time and resources applying.

I just got out of the application process, and I realized how many thousands of applicants have great GPA's (3.6+) and also come from prestigious universities. The fact that you came from U of C will not save you.

Honestly this shouldn't be news to you; it is not like you got the 2.3 overnight.

Do not listen to this. I will call a spade a spade and say your GPA is too low to ever consider MD. I do this not to spite you, but to give you the truth so that you don't waste time and resources applying.

I just got out of the application process, and I realized how many thousands of applicants have great GPA's (3.6+) and also come from prestigious universities. The fact that you came from U of C will not save you.

Honestly this shouldn't be news to you; it is not like you got the 2.3 overnight.

Qft. I didn't want to get flamed for saying this earlier.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Ok, I didn't mean to offer "false hope".

What I meant to do is offer encouragement. Obviously if you managed a 2.3 gpa in college you hid a massive road block somewhere. I don't believe in stepping on people when they are down.

OP, (if you aren't trolling) keep your head up and keep trying.

Last edited:

Nice insulting digs thrown in for premeds @ uncompetitive universities, as you put it. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are incorrect. OP getting a 2.3 at UChicago does not translate to a 3.9 at a random stas university.

Question: how likely is it that the OP will be able to score the 35+ when her BCPM GPA is 1.89, so basically in between a C- and C average. I don't care where you go to undergrad, no school deflates grades that much. Now if OP had said 2.8 cum at CalTech, I would understand that, but UChicago isn't known for massive grade deflation. You can talk all you want about SAT scores but the SAT is a critical reasoning test that requires minimal content knowledge. The MCAT is also a critical reasoning test, basically, but it requires 100 times as much content knowledge as the SAT, and people with terrible grades in the science prereqs tend to make terrible scores on the MCAT. On the other hand, I know some folks with 4.0 BCPMs and balanced MCAT scores totaling 19.

Something has clearly gone wrong with the OP's study habits. She is intelligent enough to have been admitted to a top 10 university, so she clearly isn't lacking in brainpower. One thing is clear as a bell though, OP has an incredibly challenging road ahead of
her if she wants to get into a DO or MD school in this country. For DO schools, she's looking at fall 2016 matriculation at the earliest, assuming an awesome MCAT score. For MD schools, ditto on the MCAT score, and probably fall 2017 or 2018. The Caribbean is a shortcut. I could see her at one of the crappy ones this fall if she wants to. A school like St George's might let her in sooner than a DO school would, but most people on here know the risks that the Carib route carries. OP has a lot to think about, that is for sure.

Man, knocked up, every time I read your post I hate it more and more. So smug.
Look around MDapps and you'll see profiles of kids from state universities with 35+ MCATs

Last edited:
Unless the people I have spoken to are all misinformed/lying to me, as it is currently run, the SAT is bulls**t. If you take it multiple times, you only have to report your highest sections, and you don't need to report that you took it multiple times. You can basically prepare like crazy for just one section at a time and then add up the best scores and pretend it was something you scored on your first try.

Also, high school GPA is more about having parents push you to do all your homework/class projects than being super smart.

If anything, high school just shows you can do work for 4 years and aren't completely unintelligent.

Guilty. :)