Advice needed for failed post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JLohan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I did a one year post-bac program and didn't do so well. I am on the verge of being terminated from the program because I did not even get a 3.0 .
Before post-bac, I applied to dental schools with 3.4 GPA and 19 DAT. I got one interview, but didn't get in.
I realize now, that I shouldn't have taken a post-bac that was geared towards med students.
I just need some advice from people out there who have gone through a similar situation.
I talked to my director of the program, but he didn't really give me any advice for my future. He basically said I make him look bad, he doesn't think I should try to pursue finishing the post-bac., and that I should seriously re-consider my path. This was a reality check for me because he's the director. He's probably seen hundreds of students for 20 years.
I have to make a choice of whether I want to finish the program which would be an additional semester of 9 credit classes or to get terminated from the program and pursue dental hygiene in January.
Even if I finish the program, my chances of getting into dental schools are slim, because I don't think any schools would take a 3.0 post-bac GPA. It would also be an even more financial burden, but also I already spent so much money on post-bac it feels wrong to not even get the certificate.

Is getting terminated the end? has anyone else gotten in after failing post-bac?

Members don't see this ad.

Although your director sound cold and stern, I think you do need to decide what it is that you want to do and what is best for you. At this point in time (from what I've gathered from the information provided) you are not ready to apply to dental school. You should be in a dental student mind set and taking these classes as serious as possible. If you fail out, you should re-consider your path though. If you're dead set on Dentistry, consider a 2 year biomedical science graduate program. Just because you are not ready now, doesn't mean you won't be ready in the future.

I agree with the above post. Try applying to a Biomedical Sciences masters program and fix your studying techniques and attitude towards this matter. You have to be serious and show adcoms that you’re capable of being successful in dental school. Dental medicine is a branch of medicine after all, and though many of the classes in dental school do not go in depth with much of the material, there are still plenty of challenging topics.

Members don't see this ad :)
"I am on the verge of being terminated from the program because I did not even get a 3.0 ."

That must be disappointing and so stressful. What were the reasons that this happened? If there were significant extenuating circumstances, perhaps dental school admission officers will understand. Otherwise, your best bet, should you still want to do dental school, is to put some distance between this and your application. Work for a few years doing something you enjoy and are good at, and if you still want to do dentistry, then you can return as a non-traditional applicant.

Hello,

I did a one year post-bac program and didn't do so well. I am on the verge of being terminated from the program because I did not even get a 3.0 .
Before post-bac, I applied to dental schools with 3.4 GPA and 19 DAT. I got one interview, but didn't get in.
I realize now, that I shouldn't have taken a post-bac that was geared towards med students.
I just need some advice from people out there who have gone through a similar situation.
I talked to my director of the program, but he didn't really give me any advice for my future. He basically said I make him look bad, he doesn't think I should try to pursue finishing the post-bac., and that I should seriously re-consider my path. This was a reality check for me because he's the director. He's probably seen hundreds of students for 20 years.
I have to make a choice of whether I want to finish the program which would be an additional semester of 9 credit classes or to get terminated from the program and pursue dental hygiene in January.
Even if I finish the program, my chances of getting into dental schools are slim, because I don't think any schools would take a 3.0 post-bac GPA. It would also be an even more financial burden, but also I already spent so much money on post-bac it feels wrong to not even get the certificate.

Is getting terminated the end? has anyone else gotten in after failing post-bac?

I was in the exact same situation. What I did was that I withdrew from the program, and applied to another post bac. I successfully completed it and I’m now starting dental school this August. I am now able to reflect on what happened. Sometimes the way a school presents the material isn’t your style, and that’s also true for teachers. The material was the same, but the teachers made it easy to remember, they helped me when I needed help.
It’s not the end of the world. Message me if you need help.