Advice needed for MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drnilesh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all the wonderful people here,
read all of the post on here.
i am 2002 mbbs grad from india.done with usmle-1.
i want to give gre now and get enrolled in mph course so that i get the visa easily(or so it may seem).the funds r not the problem so i dont require any waiver.just want to get into the better programmes.
i would like to know when should i start applying to get eligible for spring admissions.and also i dont have my score (grad scores)in GPA.ours is a system workin on percentage.so would that be a problem.
and what is the minimum gre score to get into a good school.
will by graduation in medicine from india be useful(or considered as added value).
and can any one list me with school welcoming foreign medical graduates easily.
sorry for so many doubts,but i am all confused and dont know where to look for them.
hope u wont mind them and thx for taking the time.
take care and god bless.
Nilesh

Members don't see this ad.

hey nilesh
For spring its too late this yr but u can try early for next yr.
Start applications by march to may for spring... though deadliens for spring r generally till nov for interantional student. But earlier the better.
Gre takes about 3 to 4 mnths so plan accordingly.
Also u ll need toefl.
Scores need not be at hand to apply... u can send the scores later
All the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
gre scores above 1100 are decent, more the better but overall application including Reco letters, GPA n mainly Statement of purpose count
GPA can be evaluated by applying to WES... ofcourse in return of lots of money... but not really needed . Its mandatory only for a few univs

Bye

hi nilesh,
don't worry about anything like gre scores ,univ,etc...all that matters is a visa that is purely based on luck as u might b knowing.first start preparing for gre now and take it as soon as possible. next try to browse a few univ. on your own and plz don't rest that on to some consultancies as they give i 20 's from some bad univ. soon after u take gre u'll be having a lot of work to do with reccom. letters, official transcripts etc from ur medical college. i think u have plenty of time to apply for the coming fall (2005). don't be in hurry to apply for summer as only feww univ provide summer registration and visa as an F-1 is tough to get. i think u may find western kentucky, uni. of alabama, wichita state university a bit comfortable,where u can prepare for ur step2. i think I have cleared many of ur doubts.

hi, just send ur marks card to the university & they will look after. don't worry about percentages etc..ur graduation in medicine in india is not counted as an added value in many programs.and may even sound absurd if u plan to go on research side for visa officers. scores of anything above 1100 will do,better try to get more than 500 in verbal( may be an advantage as a science student gets less in quant).u have the option of joining m.s in pathology , microbiology and immunology as some may say that mph is a closed option now.

hi tanda,
yea fi visa were difficult but now they r giving it quiet easily (caz of the rule according to which u cant change ur visa status in usa,u have to go back to india to change it like for eg:f1 to h1 or h1b..u have to go back to india nd apply again for h1 or h1b..this is what i interpret).
and about LOR:hungover:o i have to have those from professor/dean of my college,or from reputed doctors.
and also since i have a grauduate degree in medicine can i be done with MPH in one year(like some say 45 credit hour).
and about the tuition fees:the tuition fees is described as per semester,so the actual fee for the whole course would be three times the semester fees,am i getting it rite,if yes then most of the universities r really high on cost(just to clear my doubt).
and as u suggest about M.S in patho,micro etc..can u give me a little more details on it please.
thanks for ur time,
peace and take care
Nilesh

Hye Nilesh,
I am Ashutosh from India ! I guess we both are in the same boat since I am planning for an MPH/Phd for Fall 05 too! I have joined a consultancy though.I am done with my Gre and Toefl[ in which I got a real good score] & am preparing for my step 2 right now.I guess we could share notes about everything regarding the application process,LORS ,SOPS etc.etc...
Are you in it?

hiya ashutosh,
wishing u all the best for ur step-2.
i am planning to join classes in puna for gre and take their consulting services too.
r u done with ur step-1.
and hey drop me ur email adress so that can talk in details.
also i guess ur consultant service will help u with ur
sops,lors etc.
i think i made my decision late:(,else i would had applied for this jan session.
anyways hope to hear from u soon.
nilesh