GBCrzzyy

The moon is just the back of the sun.
2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I'm trying to plan for the worst right now so that I know what I'll do if I don't get into any schools that I love. I've applied to 26 DO schools and 6 MD schools (just my state school and a few others that are low-tier schools that seem to be mission based). My state MD school is my dream school - I'm a MA resident. But there are plenty of DO schools that I really love too that I know I would be really happy at if I got accepted. The other half are DO schools that are newer and that I feel I have a decent shot at.

My stats are cgpa 3.5/ sgpa 3.4/ mcat 501 (2nd take) - AACOMAS verified but not AMCAS verified yet (although I have no class retakes so it shouldn't change for AMCAS)
I have about 80 hours of shadowing, 900+ hours of non-clinical volunteering (most of that is being a volunteer firefighter), strong EC's and leadership, but no research. I have graduated and am currently in my gap year, I'm spending my time working and just doing things that I enjoy.

I've decided that if I do not get into any of the DO schools that I truly love, I don't want to spend the money on a school that I won't be incredibly happy at. My plan is, if my cycle doesn't seem to be going well by February/March, I want to apply to some SMP programs (post-bacc isn't a good option since I have completed all of my pre-reqs and those are my best grades), and I will definitely retake the MCAT (I am 100% sure I can do better with another retake). I would also like to get involved in research since I fully intend to participate in research as a medical student. If I end up taking this path, I really want to apply primarily to MD programs because my main interests are in surgery and surgical specialties (although I am very interested in emergency medicine and pediatrics too). The only thing that sucks is this path will put me back at least an extra year so I can complete my SMP but if that means I'll be going to a school I love then I'll suck it up.

Any advice or thoughts on my current plan? Also, any faster/cheaper options than taking a full SMP would be appreciated.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Don't apply to any schools that you would not attend.
You don't need an SMP for DO schools.

Depending on the average of your MCAT scores, an MD application is not likely to be fruitful this cycle.

OP
GBCrzzyy

GBCrzzyy

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Don't apply to any schools that you would not attend.
You don't need an SMP for DO schools.

Depending on the average of your MCAT scores, an MD application is not likely to be fruitful this cycle.
The average of the two takes isn't good and I would be taking an SMP for MD schools for reapplying along with a 3rd MCAT retake - worst case scenario. I'm trying to figure out what I can do to be competitive for MD schools if I do not get any acceptances anywhere this cycle.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
The average of the two takes isn't good and I would be taking an SMP for MD schools for reapplying along with a 3rd MCAT retake - worst case scenario. I'm trying to figure out what I can do to be competitive for MD schools if I do not get any acceptances anywhere this cycle.
A very strong MCAT and a sustained period of academic excellence would be required. This academic improvement could come in many forms.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
A very strong MCAT and a sustained period of academic excellence would be required. This academic improvement could come in many forms.
This could still lead to problems for schools that average. OP's 2nd score = 501 and she said the average of the first two scores wasn't good. Say the average of these two attempts is 500 (may be generous). This means even with a 528 as the third attempt, the average of the all scores is (2(500) + 528)/3 = roughly 509. This is a point below the MD matriculant median of 510.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
This could still lead to problems for schools that average. OP's 2nd score = 501 and she said the average of the first two wasn't good. Say the average of these two attempts is 500 (may be generous). This means even with a 528 as the third attempt, the average of the all scores is (2(500) + 528)/3 = roughly 509. This is a point below the MD matriculant median of 510.
I agree. A failed DO cycle is not usually the preamble to a successful MD application (but that's what OP asked!).

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
I agree. A failed DO cycle is not usually the preamble to a successful MD application (but that's what OP asked!).
Yeah that's true. I would primarily stick with the DO route, and it's too early to decide on specialties of interest, so it's not really a strong reason to pursue MD. This remains a benefit even if OP were to reapply as she wouldn't spend money on the retake (I think a 501 is still good for DO even as a retake) or on an SMP.

OP
GBCrzzyy

GBCrzzyy

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Status
Medical Student
What would you suggest to show academic improvement? I have already graduated with my BS which is why I was considering SMPs but I'm open to other options. My top MD school would be UMass.

OP
GBCrzzyy

GBCrzzyy

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Yeah that's true. I would primarily stick with the DO route, and it's too early to decide on specialties of interest, so it's not really a strong reason to pursue MD. This remains a benefit even if OP were to reapply as she wouldn't spend money on the retake (I think a 501 is still good for DO even as a retake) or on an SMP.
Yeah I figure theres a really good chance I may end up changing my mind. I do really hope I get accepted into one of the DO schools I applied to. I just like to have a plan for worst-case scenario so I'm not scrambling if this cycle doesn't work out

OP
GBCrzzyy

GBCrzzyy

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Yeah i totally understand that. I was just wondering if I took a couple years before reapplying to make some big improvements to application I thought it might be possible.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah i totally understand that. I was just wondering if I took a couple years before reapplying to make some big improvements to application I thought it might be possible.
A strong performance in a post bac (DIY or otherwise) or an SMP, and a much better MCAT might work somewhere...

OP
GBCrzzyy

GBCrzzyy

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Status
Medical Student
A strong performance in a post bac (DIY or otherwise) or an SMP, and a much better MCAT might work somewhere...
Thank you for the advice! I hope it doesn't come down to this, I would rather have this cycle work out to begin with. If it doesn't, UMass would really be one of the only MD schools I would apply to. I've accepted that DO schools are my best option and I'm totally fine with that. I just really like UMass in particular.

Reactions: gyngyn

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I just really like UMass in particular.
We all wish our state schools would accept us. MA is among the least likely to do so, though. The IS matriculation is worse than CA, only 11%. The median MCAT is 31.8 (about 511) and the median gpa is 3.66