Advice Needed - Name Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med90am

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a dilemma and I would appreciate any useful insights, especially from experienced members such as @gyngyn, @Goro, @LizzyM, and others. I have been accepted to medical school starting next fall, so I have a couple of months before I begin school. I am currently trying to decide on whether I should change my first name before I begin, since once I start med school it'll become increasingly difficult to make that decision. My first name is Usama, and I have to say that the first impressions I get when I introduce myself aren't usually the nicest. This is true especially because my complexion doesn't bode well with my name (I know this may not make sense but I really don't want to be any more descriptive). I'd like to also add that I have no such problems with my last name; in fact I've gotten compliments about it. Considering the things that are happening now, I don't know if my first name will be an impediment for my career in medicine, especially since this field crucially requires building trust with people who come from all types of backgrounds. My question is, if you were in my position, would you change your name?

Members don't see this ad.

My first concern is: Have you been victimized because of the name? If yes, then perhaps a name change might be in order, especially if you are going to attend school in a rural location or a more conservative part of the country.

Keep in mind that most Americans (who are really ignorant about things outside of our borders) will not be able to connect Usama with the better known variant known as Osama.

Perhaps keep the name, but ask everyone to call you Sam?

I would. I know a white guy named Tyrone that struggled to get job interviews until he went by an alternate name. Like you said first impressions are important and often a first impression comes from a name on a paper.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro thank you for replying quickly. I've had incidents where some verbally expressed their surprise in a not so good way, but it's mostly the facial expressions. I realize that the the 'U' instead of an 'O' may alleviate some of that not so positive impression, but when I verbally introduce myself the pronounciation of the name is almost the same. Would a nickname suffice or is an official name change more reasonable. Also, would it be possible to change my first name but then use my current first name as a middle name that only friends and family would know about?

Edit: I would like to add that yes, I do live in a conservative state.

I don't know the process but there's a specific pathway you have to go through to legally change your name. I'd avoid that and just go with a nickname.

On our OMM/OMT lab lists, I see people's given names and a separate line for their preferred names, so you could be on paper:
med90am, Usama ("Sam"). Just tell the registrar and the appropriate Deans (like Student Affairs or Services) and I think that should be enough.

@Goro thank you for replying quickly. I've had incidents where some verbally expressed their surprise in a not so good way, but it's mostly the facial expressions. I realize that the the 'U' instead of an 'O' may alleviate some of that not so positive impression, but when I verbally introduce myself the pronounciation of the name is almost the same. Would a nickname suffice or is an official name change more reasonable. Also, would it be possible to change my first name but then use my current first name as a middle name that only friends and family would know about?

My brother has always used his middle name and only our immediate family members know it's not his first name. Just use a middle you like better.

@gyngyn, I do not have a middle name.
Then I'd go with something you feel comfortable with (without a legal name change at this point). Just tell the registrar to use your preferred name on all correspondence.
We have had students named Fidel, Adolph and just about everything else.
Using their given names had a brightening effect that tended to broaden people's minds. You have a lifetime to actually change your name if it becomes too burdensome.

Agree that you can just make it known that your preferred name is "Sam" for now (or whatever your preferred name is). However, revisit this before you have to fill out the paperwork to have your medical school diploma printed. Two years from now might be the time to look into a legal change in your name if that's what you want to do.

Thank you all for taking the time to provide your insights.

I changed my first name a few years before I applied, surprisingly it was not that big of a deal.