Advice needed, Non-trad applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

careerchngr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Current and Future DO's,
I had a few questions to ask everybody. I am a 30yo non-trad applicant who graduated in 98 with an undergrad degree in molecular biology. I started out poorly, but did very well in my last two years finishing with overall GPA: 3.3, BCPM: 3.2. I then began a 1 yr masters in neurobiology which I had to withdraw from due to personal and financial reasons. I took 3 classes in the masters program, resulting in 2 incompletes and 1 A. I then decided medicine was not the right career choice for me at the time and entered into medical sales which I have done for the last 5 yrs. Recent experiences with osteopathic physicians thorugh shadowing and job interactions have renewed my desire and interest in not only pursuing medicine, but specifically osteopathic medicine. I will be taking post-bacc classes at my local 4 yr university to show recent course work and took the MCAT last Aug and received a 30.

1) Has anyone been accepted to DO school after having withdrawn from a masters program in bio? My withdrawal was some time ago, but I'm afraid that it will hurt my chance for admission now.

2) Any suggestions on how I can correct this past mistake? Like I said I will be taking post-bacc classes, I currently volunteer with handicapped children, and I work in a medical setting. Do you think I would have to start another master's program?

Any advice provided would be most helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll respond below in CAPS:

careerchngr said:
1) Has anyone been accepted to DO school after having withdrawn from a masters program in bio? My withdrawal was some time ago, but I'm afraid that it will hurt my chance for admission now.

I WOULDN'T SWEAT IT. AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A GOOD REASON FOR YOUR WITHDRAWAL AND IT WON'T BE A REACCURING ISSUE IN MED SCHOOL YOU'LL BE FINE. BE SURE AND MENTION IT IN YOUR APPLICATION SOMEWHERE (ESSAY OR SECONDARY), BEYOND THAT DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

2) Any suggestions on how I can correct this past mistake? Like I said I will be taking post-bacc classes, I currently volunteer with handicapped children, and I work in a medical setting. Do you think I would have to start another master's program?

LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION ARE KEY! GET PEOPLE IN SCIENCE RELATED FIELD, YOUR POST-BAC TEACHERS AND/OR A DOC YOU HAVE A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH AND CAN SPEAK TO YOUR ABILITIES. DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE MASTER'S PROGRAM, SIMPLY EMPHASIZE YOUR "GROWTH/MATURITY/EXPERIENCE/REASONS FOR DECIDING ON MEDICINE" SINCE UNDERGRAD AND THE MASTER'S PROGRAM IN YOUR ESSAY AND/OR INTERVIEWS. YOU'LL BE ALL SET.

GOOD LUCK!

careerchngr said:
I had a few questions to ask everybody. I am a 30yo non-trad applicant who graduated in 98 with an undergrad degree in molecular biology. I started out poorly, but did very well in my last two years finishing with overall GPA: 3.3, BCPM: 3.2. I then began a 1 yr masters in neurobiology which I had to withdraw from due to personal and financial reasons. I took 3 classes in the masters program, resulting in 2 incompletes and 1 A. I then decided medicine was not the right career choice for me at the time and entered into medical sales which I have done for the last 5 yrs. Recent experiences with osteopathic physicians thorugh shadowing and job interactions have renewed my desire and interest in not only pursuing medicine, but specifically osteopathic medicine. I will be taking post-bacc classes at my local 4 yr university to show recent course work and took the MCAT last Aug and received a 30.

I can't say for sure how this will affect you, but I do think that you have a pretty good chance without restarting a master's program. It seems that your background and grades are in the satisfactory range, and this whole thing that you are worried about happened a while ago. Everyone is entitled to make some mistakes along the way. I would apply and see what happens. The worst thing that could happen is that you don't get accepted at which point you might want to consider doing that master's. May I suggest setting up a meeting with a couple of people in the admissions office at some of the schools that you are interested in. They will be better able to tell you about how not finishing a master's degree will affect your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you should apply this year. I am 30 and starting this year and I had some earlier mistakes to explain in the application process. Your scores are good and you have life experience which is a huge bonus (it was for me), now what you need to do is work hard on your application essay and if you apply to schools which require a secondary essay (i.e. UMDNJ) you need to really work hard on it also. Highlight your experiences and how they have led you to osteopathic medicine and explain the trials you have gone though and what you have learned from them. Have a few people read it for grammar and content (not too many people since everyone will have an opinion) and go for it.
Good luck

careerchngr said:

apply

you're a qualified applicant