Advice needed on pursuing an MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBA300

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been considering pursuing an MPH alongside my current graduate program in audiology (hearing and balance sciences). I would ultimately like to work in some type of public health setting, but I'm quite unsure of how to "launch" into public health. It seems that the MPH is not designed as an entry-level degree, but is geared toward enhancing the careers of individuals who are already established their fields. Given this, would it make any sense to pursue an MPH at this time? I would sincerely appreciate any advice, comments, suggestions, etc. that anyone might have.

Members don't see this ad.

To clarify, are you thinking of getting an MPH before the audiology degree or concurrently? I can't think of a good reason why you would do the MPH before the audiology degree unless you need to buy time before admission to the other program. I know a lot of the concepts discussed in public health hit home much more effectively if you have experience with it firsthand.

Doing them concurrently would provide extra perspective and may be beneficial by saving time and money. Are there schools that sponsor combined degree programs for those two degrees? If you have to establish your own program, it may become more of a headache doing extra legwork. Of course, you can always get the MPH after your grad degree after you have settled into your career. There are many options, but it all works out. Good luck!

I am currently enrolled in the audiology program and would be working on the MPH concurrently. My university does not have a dual-degree program, but does have a separate MPH program that caters to working professionals, including saturday classes. So, I think everything would work out from a logistical point of view, I'm just worried that the added MPH would not contribute much, since I would basically have no "real-world" experience in public health