czmayer

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Currently, I am finishing up my spanish major and will be graduating this december with a biology degree with the intent to apply to podiatry school after school. A few things:
Male: 22
GPA 3.6, MCAT 19
EC: Pres. of Pre-professional club (120 students plus), lab TA for Physiology 3 semesters, 2 years as anatomy intern, Cadaver dissection team leader over 100 hours dissecting, independent study and complete dissection of the Vagus nerve, Tutor for Chemistry, Patient Family Advocate at the hospital 2 years, Raised $5,500 dollars to build water wells in Africa through an event I created at the university, Volunteered in Guatemala at a clinic for one month, Volunteer as a youth group leader, will be attending missions trip in Nic. and assisting with interpretations.

I am extremely displeased with my MCAT score and now I'm lost! I have so much going through my head as to what i should do.
Do i apply and see if i get in with my low score? Re-take the MCAT and apply "late?" If i do this, will handing my app. in late significantly affect me? Also, i have the opportunity to teach english in Brazil for one whole year, would it be wise to take advantage of this opportunity (i understand this is a question i can only answer, but i'm hoping to get an answer from those of you in school who might have regreted not taking time off from college) Also, what chances do i have of getting into some schools, especially Des Moines because i have family there?

The reason for this convoluted question is mainly because I had my life perfectly planned with College, activities, grades etc; however, when i got my MCAT score back i was crushed. I took it and i received an 18 my junior year. Well the next year rolled around and i decided to take it a few weeks after school got out and two days before my trip to Guatemala. The previous year i took 12 practice exams and averaged a 25, so i figured it was a bad test day and took it again with only two weeks of reviewing some material. Then i received a 19.

Half of me wants to not apply and ACTUALLY study for 3 or 4 months, take it in april and go from there, but i hate wasting time when i could maybe already get accepted.

Sorry this is confusing, but i'm confused...Please no comments on my past, i understand i had a few errors, but i'm trying to be honest and i'm looking for honest advice for my future.
A future "thank you"

j0ez0r

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2007
nowhere
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
With all that you should be able to get in somewhere....apply to DMU and just see what happens!

JEWmongous

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
Burlington, VT
Status (Visible)
Currently, I am finishing up my spanish major and will be graduating this december with a biology degree with the intent to apply to podiatry school after school. A few things:
Male: 22
GPA 3.6, MCAT 19
EC: Pres. of Pre-professional club (120 students plus), lab TA for Physiology 3 semesters, 2 years as anatomy intern, Cadaver dissection team leader over 100 hours dissecting, independent study and complete dissection of the Vagus nerve, Tutor for Chemistry, Patient Family Advocate at the hospital 2 years, Raised $5,500 dollars to build water wells in Africa through an event I created at the university, Volunteered in Guatemala at a clinic for one month, Volunteer as a youth group leader, will be attending missions trip in Nic. and assisting with interpretations.

I am extremely displeased with my MCAT score and now I'm lost! I have so much going through my head as to what i should do.
Do i apply and see if i get in with my low score? Re-take the MCAT and apply "late?" If i do this, will handing my app. in late significantly affect me? Also, i have the opportunity to teach english in Brazil for one whole year, would it be wise to take advantage of this opportunity (i understand this is a question i can only answer, but i'm hoping to get an answer from those of you in school who might have regreted not taking time off from college) Also, what chances do i have of getting into some schools, especially Des Moines because i have family there?

The reason for this convoluted question is mainly because I had my life perfectly planned with College, activities, grades etc; however, when i got my MCAT score back i was crushed. I took it and i received an 18 my junior year. Well the next year rolled around and i decided to take it a few weeks after school got out and two days before my trip to Guatemala. The previous year i took 12 practice exams and averaged a 25, so i figured it was a bad test day and took it again with only two weeks of reviewing some material. Then i received a 19.

Half of me wants to not apply and ACTUALLY study for 3 or 4 months, take it in april and go from there, but i hate wasting time when i could maybe already get accepted.

Sorry this is confusing, but i'm confused...Please no comments on my past, i understand i had a few errors, but i'm trying to be honest and i'm looking for honest advice for my future.
A future "thank you"

You'll get in everywhere but a few may require an MCAT retake

About the Ads

czmayer

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
But how late is too late for getting my application in???...i have it all done except for my personal statement, but i would rather do that after graduation in december. Also, i spent a really long time on my essay when i completed the AMCAS, so my question is how heavily is the personal statement viewed for podiatry?

But how late is too late for getting my application in???...i have it all done except for my personal statement, but i would rather do that after graduation in december. Also, i spent a really long time on my essay when i completed the AMCAS, so my question is how heavily is the personal statement viewed for podiatry?

Uh, the personal statement is limited to 500 words (I think).

But, I dont think it's that important. They care more about grades.

Goodluck!:thumbup:

UW66

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
Uh, the personal statement is limited to 500 words (I think).

But, I dont think it's that important. They care more about grades.

Goodluck!:thumbup:

I think youre right Zme.

I recall spending a ton of time on my 500 word personal statement thinking itd be a pretty key component of acceptance. then after interviewing 5 places i realized nobody brought it up even once.

sguiliana

OCPM Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
I think youre right Zme.

I recall spending a ton of time on my 500 word personal statement thinking itd be a pretty key component of acceptance. then after interviewing 5 places i realized nobody brought it up even once.

depending on your grades, the personal statment could be your make or break. I would suggest putting some time into this...

dpmPOD

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
... when i completed the AMCAS

Be prepared to explain this; you will be asked about your AMCAS application and if you want to go to medical school or podiatry school. I hope you aren't turning to podiatry because of a low MCAT. You can always apply to med school next year if that is the case.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.