Dismissed from DO school, looking for advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OMMKing

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I was dismissed (actually withdrew) from DO school after my first semester for failing OMM and subsequent remediation. I really enjoy medicine and have done decently in all my other classes, but did not take OMM seriously and didn't think they would actually dismiss me over one class.
My undergrad stats are a 3.9 and 510 MCAT, med school GPA is above 3.0. My school will not take me back and reapplying to other MD/DO medical schools seems hopeless. I really want to go back to medical school and was considering DPM, I am not particularly interested in feet, but I wanted to do surgery and this might be the closest it gets. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Long story short, I was dismissed (actually withdrew) from DO school after my first semester for failing OMM and subsequent remediation. I really enjoy medicine and have done decently in all my other classes, but did not take OMM seriously and didn't think they would actually dismiss me over one class.
My undergrad stats are a 3.9 and 510 MCAT, med school GPA is above 3.0. My school will not take me back and reapplying to other MD/DO medical schools seems hopeless. I really want to go back to medical school and was considering DPM, I am not particularly interested in feet, but I wanted to do surgery and this might be the closest it gets. Any advice would be appreciated.
You can try, not sure if podiatry will consider you after a fail at a DO school. They might. But you need to make sure you know what made you fail and what you will do differently. First 1-2 preclinical years at DPM program are similar to what MD/DOs take. For example, at DMU, first 1.5 years you will take same courses with DOs and will be graded by same faculty who grade DOs. The only difference is no OMM. So, if you failed science courses, what makes you think you will pass them next time?

You may want to consider other healthcare career options like OD, DPT, pharmD, RN. But out of all these options, (besides MD/DO), I would suggest trying RN and then CRNA. It is long, challenging path, but job availability is crazy and pay is as good as DPM or better. You can literally find a job anywhere. It is not a guaranteed pathway, but you can always fall back on your RN degree and make good money anywhere.

You can try, not sure if podiatry will consider you after a fail at a DO school. They might. But you need to make sure you know what made you fail and what you will do differently. First 1-2 preclinical years at DPM program are similar to what MD/DOs take. For example, at DMU, first 1.5 years you will take same courses with DOs and will be graded by same faculty who grade DOs. The only difference is no OMM. So, if you failed science courses, what makes you think you will pass them next time?

You may want to consider other healthcare career options like OD, DPT, pharmD, RN. But out of all these options, (besides MD/DO), I would suggest trying RN and then CRNA. It is long, challenging path, but job availability is crazy and pay is as good as DPM or better. You can literally find a job anywhere. It is not a guaranteed pathway, but you can always fall back on your RN degree and make good money anywhere.

Thank you for the response. So I did not fail any science courses, I had some major life event and tried asking for an LOA, but said DO school did not have that option (they were on high monitoring for accreditation and had a lot of issues with attrition). I am not interested in other healthcare fields and not interested in nursing or PA. Debating if it is worth reapplying MD/DO and add DPM to the list. I do not want to jump from field to field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the response. So I did not fail any science courses, I had some major life event and tried asking for an LOA, but said DO school did not have that option (they were on high monitoring for accreditation and had a lot of issues with attrition). I am not interested in other healthcare fields and not interested in nursing or PA. Debating if it is worth reapplying MD/DO and add DPM to the list. I do not want to jump from field to field.
If you left on good terms, then try DO/MD. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users

I am sorry you are going through all this. It's absurd for a DO school to dismiss a student after failing one course. That said, I think you are not the right candidate for the DPM degree. Even if you get accepted to a program (chances are low due to the DO withdrawal/dismissal), you will probably not be happy as time passes and be in more debt. Instead, follow the advice you received in the confidential forum.

I hope it works out for you; all the best!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I am sorry you are going through all this. It's absurd for a DO school to dismiss a student after failing one course. That said, I think you are not the right candidate for the DPM degree. Even if you get accepted to a program (chances are low due to the DO withdrawal/dismissal), you will probably not be happy as time passes and be in more debt. Instead, follow the advice you received in the confidential forum.

I hope it works out for you; all the best!

Thank you for the response. The bolded is why I consider just giving up.

If you are not interested in feet I would say don’t apply to DPM schools and reapply to md/do school. If you are not readmitted consider podiatry then.

If you are set on applying to DPM school you should shadow a few different podiatrists. We don’t all practice the same.

I do agree RN than CRNA is a good option as well. If you are interested in cutting the time to anesthesia than Anesthesiologist Assistant is a good option but they practice in fewer states than CRNAs.

Good luck!

If you are not interested in feet I would say don’t apply to DPM schools and reapply to md/do school. If you are not readmitted consider podiatry then.

If you are set on applying to DPM school you should shadow a few different podiatrists. We don’t all practice the same.

I do agree RN than CRNA is a good option as well. If you are interested in cutting the time to anesthesia than Anesthesiologist Assistant is a good option but they practice in fewer states than CRNAs.

Good luck!

Thank you for the response. A lot of people suggest not reapplying and going RN. I am sure they have good intentions but I do not think anyone really understands what it feels like to work with doctors after your dream was crashed and burned for one bad class.

Thank you for the response. A lot of people suggest not reapplying and going RN. I am sure they have good intentions but I do not think anyone really understands what it feels like to work with doctors after your dream was crashed and burned for one bad class.
When I was a pod school, my school accepted people who was dismissed from dental school. So I think you have a shot at getting a DPM acceptance. You would have to explain why podiatry. You should definitely shadow and reach out to the schools before committing to applying dpm.

I’m ten years out so I could be wrong about the current admission practices.

Reactions: 2 users
The fact that you're not interested in feet is enough to not apply to DPM.

The hurdle to make it is already exhausting enough. It's gonna be even worse when you do not have a single interest in doing the work at all.

You're gonna come crying later on about how you wanna transfer out third year into med school like that other poster the other day.

Appeal to the school or apply else where and show the perspective schools that you're serious this time. Hell, lie if you have to.

• Care
Whoever will take your money is cool. Feet, teeth drugs, maybe a bowel or gland is cool

The fact that you're not interested in feet is enough to not apply to DPM.

The hurdle to make it is already exhausting enough. It's gonna be even worse when you do not have a single interest in doing the work at all.

You're gonna come crying later on about how you wanna transfer out third year into med school like that other poster the other day.

Appeal to the school or apply else where and show the perspective schools that you're serious this time. Hell, lie if you have to.
STRONGLy Disagree. You can learn to love feet. Who loves a bowel going to school? You learn stuff learn to appreciate feet, the anatomy and biomechanics.and like to cut **** open. Hell yeah apply to pod school.. there is no love of feet ( in an asexual way) required.

Disagree. You can learn to love feet. Who loves a bowel going to school? You learn stuff learn to appreciate feet, the anatomy and biomechanics.and like to cut **** open. Hell yeah apply to pod school.. there is no love of feet ( in an asexual way) required.
I wanted to cut ****. Podiatry guaranteed that? Cool here I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will get into podiatry school somewhere if you applied to all of the schools. Anyone who says different here is delusional.

I think you would ultimately be disappointed though if you went all the way through with podiatry as the profession has numerous issues within it such as big discrepancies in pay and scope of practice in each state is different. Among many others.

A DPM school will still take you despite the withdrawal. That won't be a problem. They are looking to fill seats and it is not competitive to get in with your stats or history.

I also did not like feet that much starting out. Hadn't even shadowed properly. Learned to like it.

That being said- just realize you are locking yourself into DPM / foot and ankle only after you apply and get in. It is your literal last stop and a very hefty investment both time, money, and energy wise. You will not get the same respect as an MD or even DO. You will be looked down upon.

Think critically about what you value before you apply just for the sake of "being a doctor". The time and energy. The loans you will rack. The amount of manure you will have to crawl through. There are easier quicker ways to make a return on your investment. Forget your ego for 1 second and think about what you truly value. Everyone wants to be a doctor until they are 30 years old with 350k to repay in loans, can't buy a home, and scrapping for jobs in a location they or their wife/husband will not like and constantly working non stop.

Go into trucking. No school required. They make a lot of money. My friend just made $6800 over 2 days. On average, my relatives and friends make 8k per week. Sometimes close to 15k. Pretty much work couple days a week and do whatever you want the rest of the week. Go to work whenever you want. Or stay and chill at home for couple of weeks.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Everyone wants to be a doctor until they are 30 years old with 350k to repay in loans, can't buy a home, and scrapping for jobs in a location they or their wife/husband will not like and constantly working non stop.
I don’t mind the loans. It’s the wife not liking the locations. I’ve gotten great pay and family friendly hours with every position but I am on my 3 job in 7 years trying to find that right location that works for my wife.

• Care
I don’t mind the loans. It’s the wife not liking the locations. I’ve gotten great pay and family friendly hours with every position but I am on my 3 job in 7 years trying to find that right location that works for my wife.

You know she’s making it harder and harder for you to get another job right?

Switching that many times looks more and more questionable.

That’s all I say. That’s a tough problem

Omm was the bane of my existence, I feel you. Although it’s weird that you didn’t get a second chance. I have friends that failed omm and just remediated it over summer

You’ll get into a Podiatry school. As others have mentioned, do make sure it is what you want because it’s a 7 year commitment..pretty long for someone not interested in feet

You know she’s making it harder and harder for you to get another job right?

Switching that many times looks more and more questionable.

That’s all I say. That’s a tough problem
I do. I was at my first one for 5 years. My current one I am leaving at the end of my 3 year contract. I hope the new one is the last one for a while. It’s at a medical university and in a city with nice suburbs at least compared to rural town we are leaving. 🤞🏽

I never fully understood the "you have to love feet to be podiatrist" trope.

In my opinion, you just don't have to dislike feet.

It is far worse to be in DO/MD, love some specialties, hate other specialties, and then unfortunately only get the specialty you dislike because of boards, etc.

But at the end of the day, they all do fine.

STRONGLy Disagree. You can learn to love feet. Who loves a bowel going to school? You learn stuff learn to appreciate feet, the anatomy and biomechanics.and like to cut **** open. Hell yeah apply to pod school.. there is no love of feet ( in an asexual way) required.

I agree with you, I won't argue that. But where I am coming from is that there are people in school / training who have absolutely no desire to do it and barely going through the motion.

I'm talking about the people who constantly half ass everything and us folks who are already struggling have to partner / group up with them and pick up the pieces. The constant complaining of doom / gloom, hyper critical of every situation and just depressing to be around with in an already depressing environment.

I don't believe one has to "like" feet to do well or be in the field. I'm mainly targeting folks who are here for the wrong reasons.

DPM schools do the same thing. At least mine.

Are they dismissing students after failing one course in a semester?

Usually, after one failure per semester, a student is allowed to retest/remediate that class with a comprehensive final exam. If they fail the retest exam, they are allowed to retake the course when it is offered again, basically demoting the student to the class below. I can see a student getting dismissed after failing multiple courses in a term, but if a school is kicking students out after one failure, that's not right, and the CPME should know about it.

Are they dismissing students after failing one course in a semester?

Usually, after one failure per semester, a student is allowed to retest/remediate that class with a comprehensive final exam. If they fail the retest exam, they are allowed to retake the course when it is offered again, basically demoting the student to the class below. I can see a student getting dismissed after failing multiple courses in a term, but if a school is kicking students out after one failure, that's not right, and the CPME should know about it.
ong story short, I was dismissed (actually withdrew) from DO school after my first semester for failing OMM and subsequent remediation.

The OP did remediate and didn't pass, and thus was kicked out.

To my knowledge, failing one class in a semester, and then failing that retest/remediate class is when you get kicked out at my DPM school. You are able to do an appeal and have a hearing if you want back in where you can retake the course/semester.

Either way, its extremely weird that you can a fail classes, fail the remediated class, then appeal to get back in....while on the other hand some DPM schools will kick you out permanently with no appeal after only 2 board retakes.

Extremely lenient on classes, extremely harsh for boards.

No one should fail podiatric classes, and if they do, they should never fail remediation. If they fail remediation, they should never fail the retake semester.

However, I've seen extremely intelligent people earn 73-74 on board exams 2 times on retakes and be dismissed. I know about 7-10 people that it happened to. People with 3.7+ GPAs as well. They can't even appeal afterwards. Brutal. Someone I knew had 450-500k loans, went through 3 years, but couldn't pass part 1 and was told "good luck".

Last edited:
I personally love OMM (even though I want to be a psychiatrist). For me it is the COMLEX exams that are getting me. I am not too far from getting dismissed from my school. I know exactly how you feel bro.

I was dismissed from DO school and went on to graduate DPM, but my story was quite different from yours. It's very important to understand why you failed. Blowing off a whole course because you think it doesn't matter is a major professionalism issue, and though academic shortcomings will flunk someone out in the first two years of school, professionalism issues are taken extremely seriously and can lie dormant and then flunk you in third or fourth year. There will be a course or three in pod school that you think don't matter, but you need to work just as hard in those too.

At my DPM interview, the main thing they wanted to know was that I was seriously interested in podiatry and it wasn't just "the next best thing" that I would settle for. I had similar MCAT to you but significantly worse grades. I made it through because I love my field and worked my ass off for the sake of all my future patients. If you don't have real drive to be a podiatrist, they will sense that at the interview.

Keep in mind though that many schools will outright refuse to interview you simply because of your history with another school. Apply to any of the 9 that you don't absolutely hate.

And don't be afraid to take a year or two to pursue another passion before applying (just make sure your MCAT won't have expired by the time you do apply). If you still feel called to medicine, you will know it, and ADCOMs will admire your tenacity.

I personally have two classmates who came to podiatry school after being dismissed from med school, and they are exceptional students. Like you, they had what it took to get into med school, they just weren't focused enough for one reason or another in their initial attempt. They learned from that and were determined to not repeat the mistake. Now we've finished up classes and they both are going on to some great externships for fourth year. With your stats, I'd be shocked if you weren't accepted to at least one pod school if you apply to them all (there's only 9). That said... You've gotta do what you love. As others have said, you don't want regrets and "what-ifs" down the road. You have to choose a profession for the right reasons. Shadow some pods. See if you can't fall in love with the profession. I'm a believer that we all have multiple paths in life that would make us happy... Find out if podiatry is one of them. Maybe you (as I) will even find it to be the perfect specialty for you. Or maybe you'll find a lot you aren't crazy about. You just really should figure that out before starting a podiatry program, as it would look really bad if part-way through you end up leaving pod school as well because it's not for you. I do have friends who have regrets about podiatry because they feel they would've enjoyed another specialty more and only came to pod school because they weren't confident they could get into med school.

Best of luck to you... There are a million opportunities out there in healthcare. NP, PA, nurse anesthetist, optometry, Pharmacy, re-applying to DO/MD, etc... You'll figure something out that you love and that you're willing to put the effort into to getting right the second time around.

I have experience with the education system of a DO program and I can tell you that Podiatry schools have not met the equivalent standards of MD/DO. I suggest not coming on to Podiatry because it's just different... You can PM me for details

I have experience with the education system of a DO program and I can tell you that Podiatry schools have not met the equivalent standards of MD/DO. I suggest not coming on to Podiatry because it's just different... You can PM me for details
Not sure what drugs you are on. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot and feeling inferior. I went to MD school first but withdrew, did masters at DO school taking same classes as them and later did Podiatry. I can boldly confess that they are in no way better than us. Anyone who graduates from Podiatry can definitely graduate from MD or DO school. Podiatry is in no way different from any other medical specialty. We practice medicine for God’s sake. We need to start building confidence in ourselves and training and not feeling inferior to MD and DO students.

• Love
Let me just jump in before an MD/DO does.... withdrew from MD school so didn't graduate and maybe did 1 year? Didn't graduate or go to DO school.....trying to say pod students can graduate MD/DO...? I promise 50 percent of my DMU class would not graduate MD school. That said yes you have a unique perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.