Army Advice Needed: Possible 12 Month Deployment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThisisReality

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an infantryman in the National Guard, and my unit this past weekend was given a warning order of a possible deployment to the Middle East in the middle of next spring semester. Nothing is set in stone or guaranteed yet.

I am not against deploying, but the timing is the problem: I am a senior already scheduled to take my MCAT this May and was planning to apply in June for the next cycle. I am not sure this would be feasible while I am deployed. I would also have to withdraw from all my class next semester if deployed and be unable to take my MCAT or apply - setting me back 2 years because I would need to take an extra semester or year when I got back, then apply and take a gap year.

I also had plans to do HPSP and have been talking to a Army medical recruiter. I was in the process of filling out a DD368, but I am not sure if that will have any effect on me being deployed?

Please, any advice anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

That sucks. For now, act natural and continue your plans. If the deployment does in fact happen then yes, it is going to delay you. Take your study materials with you and get some study time in between killing the enemy. Until you are actually enrolled in med school you will not be protected from deployment. This is a bummer in terms of your med school plans but will most likely help you if you are considering milmed down the road. Use your gap year to get into a research lab/project, become a paramedic, or shadow/volunteer. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
That sucks. For now, act natural and continue your plans. If the deployment does in fact happen then yes, it is going to delay you. Take your study materials with you and get some study time in between killing the enemy. Until you are actually enrolled in med school you will not be protected from deployment. This is a bummer in terms of your med school plans but will most likely help you if you are considering milmed down the road. Use your gap year to get into a research lab/project, become a paramedic, or shadow/volunteer. Good luck.

In what ways will this help me in milmed? Definitely something I want to do.
Also, will a deployment help me as an applicant? (trying to make the best out of the situation!)

Thanks @WernickeDO, I really appreciate the advice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In what ways will this help me in milmed? Definitely something I want to do.
Also, will a deployment help me as an applicant? (trying to make the best out of the situation!)

Thanks @WernickeDO, I really appreciate the advice.

Prior service/deployments will help with medical school acceptance. That is a badge of honor on your CV that few things can compare to. You are going up against thousands of other applicants who are qualified but how many have deployed, even in a non-medical capacity? You have to have your academics in order of course but it will make you stand out, and not just for a USUHS application. I do believe it will help with the military residency match as well, but I cannot decode the matrix on that one.

You can definitely sell a deployment that "delayed your dream of becoming a physician so that you could defend your country" to an admissions committee.

Reactions: 4 users
I am an infantryman in the National Guard, and my unit this past weekend was given a warning order of a possible deployment to the Middle East in the middle of next spring semester. Nothing is set in stone or guaranteed yet.

I am not against deploying, but the timing is the problem: I am a senior already scheduled to take my MCAT this May and was planning to apply in June for the next cycle. I am not sure this would be feasible while I am deployed. I would also have to withdraw from all my class next semester if deployed and be unable to take my MCAT or apply - setting me back 2 years because I would need to take an extra semester or year when I got back, then apply and take a gap year.

I also had plans to do HPSP and have been talking to a Army medical recruiter. I was in the process of filling out a DD368, but I am not sure if that will have any effect on me being deployed?

Please, any advice anyone?

Yeah...make the most out of the situation. Milk the **** out of your war experience on your personal statement. If you don't have an elite PS...something's wrong.

"Well I wanted to be a physician, but then I had to go and gut ISIS members with a dull spoon in the desert. So what have you been doing to protect this country for the last 12 months Mr. Selection committee member?"

Reactions: 3 users
Slip a few references to First Blood in there to see if they're paying attention.

Slip a few references to First Blood in there to see if they're paying attention.

"You just don't turn it off!" or he could tell the shoe shine story?

"Johnny I wanna go home I wanna go home!" I said we can't get go home I can't find your ^&*#ing legs! I can't get it out of my head. I don't talk to anyone. Sometimes days sometimes weeks.

Yeahhhhhh I have seen that movie too many times.....

"You just don't turn it off!" or he could tell the shoe shine story?

"Johnny I wanna go home I wanna go home!" I said we can't get go home I can't find your ^&*#ing legs! I can't get it out of my head. I don't talk to anyone. Sometimes days sometimes weeks.

Yeahhhhhh I have seen that movie too many times.....

I just want to see you sew your arm up with a rusty needle and worn thread.

I just want to see you sew your arm up with a rusty needle and worn thread.

Would you settle for me using a pair of sterile scissors from a previous hospital to take my own stitches out because the doctor cancelled my appointment?

Talk to your command about it once your unit will officially be going. The Guard is more variable and more flexible than active duty. They may be willing to support you going on to medical school instead of deploying if you're going to be obligated as a military physician. You should be well into interview season and have a strong idea of whether an acceptance is likely to be heading your way by the time the deployment is drawing near. This all assumes you would rather going on to medical school. You may be out of luck but it's worth asking about.

Thanks a lot everyone for the advice. All the jokes cracked me up. I am glad that this experience will only benefit me and will try to my best to stay the course I am. Hopefully I won't be deployed, but if I am it won't be the end of the world :)

"Well I wanted to be a physician, but then I had to go and gut ISIS members with a dull spoon in the desert. So what have you been doing to protect this country for the last 12 months Mr. Selection committee member?"

This made me laugh so hard my stomach still hurts. You're awesome!

@ThisisReality , thank you for serving this country! Good luck!

Thanks a lot everyone for the advice. All the jokes cracked me up. I am glad that this experience will only benefit me and will try to my best to stay the course I am. Hopefully I won't be deployed, but if I am it won't be the end of the world :)

Hey if you do get deployed just think of all the weeks with little to no sleep as training for medical school.