Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Concho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I took my DAT for the second time and achieved my worst fear, and A.A. of 17 :(. Last time taking it my A.A. was also a 17, however my scores were all over the place with the highest being a 21 and lowest a 14 (ouch). This time my scores were much more consistent, mainly 17's with an 18 and 19. First time testing I didn't study properly, second time I studied hard but not for long enough. I'm confident if I had another month I would have gotten a 19 or 20 A.A. based on how I could see myself really improving. The reason why I did not give myself another month is because I have applied to dental school and am already late enough as it is. My plan was to apply and knock the DAT out of the park this second time but that did not happen. My real question is, should I go ahead and send my new scores to the places I've applied or should I withdraw my applications, retake the DAT then reapply? Thanks for reading, I appreciate all replies.

Some background:
GPA: 3.3
Science GPA: 3.1
Microbio major

Schools I've applied to:
UF
UAB
NOVA
LECOM
MUSC

Members don't see this ad.

You should try to retake the DAT and try to bump your GPA up a little more. Basically, you should do everything you can to prove the admission committee that you're capable of handling rigorous didactic courses in dental school. How do you prove it? Good DAT scores and GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds devastating, I'm so sorry. As far as sending in your scores, if you've already paid for the AADSAS & supplemental I don't see any harm in sending them in. Who knows, schools might look past the scores and send you an invite. A reality TV Star is running for president so crazier things have happened

Reactions: 1 user
You're already in the cycle, just go for it and hope for the best but expect the worst. Prioritize the DAT and take it seriously. Feel overprepared. Your GPA is going to be difficult to significantly bump but a 21+ AA will show your capabilities and at least help garner an interview or two. Also, taking it three times may be a good show of determination.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I feel like you also didn't apply to enough schools.
I agree. And your school choices need adjustment. Dentistry is all about testing. Testing In D School is much more rigorous than college, and the DAT is used as a predictive test for D School success. I do not think anyone can overlook scores. I am in the process of reviewing post grad admission applications. Scores and grades matter. Enrolling in dental school without the necessary skills and preparation will be an expensive lesson in frustration.

The other thing that dental schools look for is dedication. I had a role in interviews and the selection process in San Antonio before I graduated, so I do know that people with GPAs below 3.5 can and will get in (mine was 3.3... don't remember DAT, but I think it was 17 first attempt and 19 the second, and I made it - both into and out of dental school). My boss ate paint chips as a kid, but he still got in! Hehe... this is anonymous right??? I gave interviewees with 4.0s bad marks for having no personality. So practice communication skills. Instead of spending all of your volunteer hours at Habitat for Humanity, go to a nursing home where elderly are looking for someone to talk to. If you can get good at talking to strangers, then you're already halfway to being a good dentist. Your DAT can be improved easily. You need to take a Kaplan course and accept that you may not get in this year. AND THAT'S OK!!! A denied application in 2016 is an advantage for you in 2017. Improvement shows determination and that's more important than your test scores / GPA. If it doesn't work out this year, get the application in the week it's made available in 2017 and have your DAT scores of 20 or higher submitted at the same time. If you've been stressing yourself out for the last 10 months non-stop studying for the DAT, then stop, relax, get an easy / laid-back job, and take a 2 month study break before you start focusing on improving for 2017. The last thing you want to do is burn yourself out before classes start, take up smoking, and then fail gross anatomy!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
The other thing that dental schools look for is dedication. I had a role in interviews and the selection process in San Antonio before I graduated, so I do know that people with GPAs below 3.5 can and will get in (mine was 3.3... don't remember DAT, but I think it was 17 first attempt and 19 the second, and I made it - both into and out of dental school). My boss ate paint chips as a kid, but he still got in! Hehe... this is anonymous right??? I gave interviewees with 4.0s bad marks for having no personality. So practice communication skills. Instead of spending all of your volunteer hours at Habitat for Humanity, go to a nursing home where elderly are looking for someone to talk to. If you can get good at talking to strangers, then you're already halfway to being a good dentist. Your DAT can be improved easily. You need to take a Kaplan course and accept that you may not get in this year. AND THAT'S OK!!! A denied application in 2016 is an advantage for you in 2017. Improvement shows determination and that's more important than your test scores / GPA. If it doesn't work out this year, get the application in the week it's made available in 2017 and have your DAT scores of 20 or higher submitted at the same time. If you've been stressing yourself out for the last 10 months non-stop studying for the DAT, then stop, relax, get an easy / laid-back job, and take a 2 month study break before you start focusing on improving for 2017. The last thing you want to do is burn yourself out before classes start, take up smoking, and then fail gross anatomy!

Good luck!

I wish you were on the committee reviewing my app! Lol.

Reactions: 1 user