Need some advice about program name recognition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HandThrowaway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does residency training at Ivy League schools/programs come into play when applying for a job? or having it on your CV?.

For example, say I am between Michigan vs UPENN or Pittsburgh vs Columbia/Cornell.
I know Michigan and Pitt PM&R programs are great places to train, but does having an Ivy League program on my CV give me an advantage in my career? Is the advantage through their alumni network?

Different advisors have given me different answers. I would like to gather more opinions.
I ask because I'm not in love with training in some of locations where the Ivy League programs reside, but I would get through it if it gives me an advantage when applying for jobs.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends who you talk to and where you ultimately want to get a job for in the future. Other than a small percentage of places it doesn't mean anything to most people.

Train where you will be happy. There will always be 'Ivy League' bias for some people, but the rest of us don't give a hoot.

I considered "brand name" (which was broader for me than Ivy vs non... i.e., included Mayo, Stanford, Hopkins, etc.) when choosing a residency. Where I think it may be considered:

a) If you plan to do something outside of the medical sphere, like consulting or writing. Definite bias towards branding.
b) If you plan to apply for a fellowship that is not run by PM&R (e.g., palliative, pain).... they are less familiar with the particulars of PM&R programs and may go more by general "medicine" reputation. (In the choices you mention above, however, all are strong in overall medical reputation and I can't see Ivy vs. non making much difference.)
c) Maybe academia? Unsure about this one though.
d) Possibly location. People in the northeast (where I'm from) seem to care more in general, including recognizing an Ivy name. Anywhere else, I can't imagine caring if it's UPenn or UW.

Otherwise, not so much. And I would emphasize that there is a difference between Ivy (which you are asking about) and "brand name" in general, which includes a lot more places, and deservedly so.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
U can market yourself as Ivy League trained in PP. doesn’t hurt

I’d never compromise your education for a name. Penn over UPMC would be a mistake. Go the the place you’d gain the best skills and open as many doors as possible in regards to competitiveness for fellowship. I’d say that the prestige of an undergraduate or medical college affiliated with the PM&R program would be one of the least important factors to consider.

Reactions: 1 user
Dartmouth, Lycoming, St Georges, UVA, EVMS, Emory. Order of my training from undergrad through fellowship.
A few publications from residency onward. I taught at Emory for a year. Now in PP. Pedigree means nothing unless you wish to remain in an ivory tower.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the advice. I agree fit in a program will enable me to do great things vs just having a name on my CV