Advice on 500+

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatstruggle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I need some advice a little out of the ordinary. I'm so jealous of the people who have a 500+ straight from the get-go. I'm struggling getting over the 500 plateau. Anyone in a similar position? What did you do? I need a 505 to get an interview at the school I'm doing my masters in, so I'm not aiming super high. But I'm really struggling to get out of the 495.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there. To break that 500 barrier is usually a simple fix! Don't worry, what I'm guessing your issue is is content. You simply don't know enough facts. Lucky for you, that just means memorizing.

Memorize the following:
Phys/Chem:
1. Memorize all old school physics math equations: yes, they come up even in the new MCAT

Bio/Biochem:
1. Glycolysis: all substrates, enzymes, names, and organic structures
2. Citric Acid Cycle: 1. Glycolysis: all substrates, enzymes, names, and organic structures
3. Amino Acids: Organic structure, full name, 3 letter abbreviation, and 1 letter abbreviation

Psy/Soc
1. Bystander effect
2. 3 emotional interpretation theories
3. Kohlbergs stages
4. Piaget Stages

That should be enough to crack 500.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the above poster OP. If you know really high yield stuff like that well you should build a solid foundation to get you over 500.

Have you done any AAMC FLs? I personally did not feel as though 3rd party exams were very indicative of the real thing.

Hey there. To break that 500 barrier is usually a simple fix! Don't worry, what I'm guessing your issue is is content. You simply don't know enough facts. Lucky for you, that just means memorizing.

Memorize the following:
Phys/Chem:
1. Memorize all old school physics math equations: yes, they come up even in the new MCAT

Bio/Biochem:
1. Glycolysis: all substrates, enzymes, names, and organic structures
2. Citric Acid Cycle: 1. Glycolysis: all substrates, enzymes, names, and organic structures
3. Amino Acids: Organic structure, full name, 3 letter abbreviation, and 1 letter abbreviation

Psy/Soc
1. Bystander effect
2. 3 emotional interpretation theories
3. Kohlbergs stages
4. Piaget Stages

That should be enough to crack 500.
3 emotional interpretation theories? Does AAMC not test on Lazarus? I'm assuming you're talking about James-Lange, Cannon-Bard, and S-S(I can't spell it off the top of my head so I won't try)

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't score anything impressive on my MCAT (between 506-510), but I would recommend doing a lot of practice questions. Half the challenge is just getting used to the slog of the exam, keeping track of time, and being able to score points off the 'easy' questions. Whatever you get wrong, go back and look up the content. Study the high-yield material.

Reactions: 1 users
3 emotional interpretation theories? Does AAMC not test on Lazarus? I'm assuming you're talking about James-Lange, Cannon-Bard, and S-S(I can't spell it off the top of my head so I won't try)
Yes those were the 3 things I was referring to.

I didn't score anything impressive on my MCAT (between 506-510), but I would recommend doing a lot of practice questions. Half the challenge is just getting used to the slog of the exam, keeping track of time, and being able to score points off the 'easy' questions. Whatever you get wrong, go back and look up the content. Study the high-yield material.

Currently studying and this is some good advice. I personally have been using Kaplans quick sheets (which I think are high yield? Could someone who has taken the test confirm or deny?), not really to study but just looking over and if I don't know a topic on them then I look it up. It's really been helping me on % wise. I used to miss so many of these easy questions because I didn't know how to piece together relatively simple concepts but would do fine on the "hard" reasoning within the text questions. Good luck OP.

https://www.kaptest.com/static/pdf/ktp-mcat-quicksheets.pdf