Advice on a Waitlist Letter of Intent (with a twist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JLeBling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am planning on writing a letter of intent. The interview went very well and I LOVE the school. The culture of the campus is a perfect match for me. The programs offered align with the specialties I am interested in. This is the school I NEED to attend. The only thing is this school also happens to be the only option I have! LOL

So how should I go about writing this letter? Would the Adcom know that I have no other options by looking into my file? Should I be forthright with the desperateness of my situation? etc.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

They'll be able to see any acceptances you have (none, in your case). I wouldn't mention it in the LOI. If you search "letter of interest" you'll find a few threads where some adcoms have basically said LOIs are useless unless you're already accepted at a better school but have some reason to want to attend the school you're waitlisted at instead. They know you'll attend if they accept you, because they know you don't have any other options.
That said, I don't think a LOI would hurt (assuming the school doesn't specifically ask you not to send them). So just write about why you like the school so much and why you would be a good fit there. Don't do anything to sounds desperate; it won't help.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello folks,

I am planning on writing a letter of intent. The interview went very well and I LOVE the school. The culture of the campus is a perfect match for me. The programs offered align with the specialties I am interested in. This is the school I NEED to attend. The only thing is this school also happens to be the only option I have! LOL

So how should I go about writing this letter? Would the Adcom know that I have no other options by looking into my file? Should I be forthright with the desperateness of my situation? etc.

Thank you
If they have already given you a decision they can see that you are holding no acceptances, so such a letter is not needed.
The letter will have no effect if the committee is still deliberating.

Reactions: 1 users