advice on classes to help get in SMPs or SMP like programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medanthgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Was hoping somebody might help give me some advice for the fall. I'm trying to patch up my undergrad transcript to help get me into an 2006 SMP (Drexel, RFU, Georgetown, etc) to help get into med school. Phew. My overall GPA is 3.1, but my science GPA is lower (i think a 2.7). I'm trying to repair the worst grades and so far so good. I've replaced my C in Gen Chem and D in Physics I with A's. Now I'm trying to decide what to take next. Orgos I and II were okay with B's. The biggest divets I have left are:

Analytical chemistry: took it once got a D, retook it, got a C
Biochemistry: got a C
Physics 2: C
Calc 1, B then Calc 2, a C, then Calc 3, flunked it retook it and got a D. (ouchhh!)

All my other science classes are okay, A's, B's and the occasional B-. I think my GPA is in decent shape b/c I did a lot of chem research (for grades) that added up, and then i was a double major chemistry and anthropology. But those grades mentioned above do stick out pretty bad. Any advice? It would be appreciated big time!!

p.s. will be taking August MCAT. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

smps like high mcat scores. people with sub 3.0 gpa's get into post bac through high mcat scores. in your case, i would think that 30 and above will give u a good chance. just remember, smp's want people who will get into med school after their program.. meaning ur LOR and EC should be up to par with med school admissions standards. just do well on the august mcat, apply early, and u will be fine.