Advice on current Masters/SMP status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AU_Dental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in a 1 year masters non-thesis and am taking 14 hours in this program. I need to take 16 hours next semester to graduate at the end of Spring 2018. The problem is the last class to fill the gap is posing a bit of a challenge...

Option A: Microbial Physiology, professor has never given an A pre-curve

Option B: Molecular Ecology, graduate students must complete a project which is apparently ~40 pages and takes 1-2 months to complete.

Option C: Advanced Anatomical Principles, online so would work well with schedule but is not covered under my graduate fellowship which means that I could be looking at ~$1800 to take this. Professor is supposedly fantastic though.

Not sure which option to do but graduation in the spring is going to be pretty much required. I currently have a couple of dental school interviews lined up. I know that this isn't a guarantee but this way if things don't work out, I can just drop a class to extend the program time.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently enrolled in a 1 year masters non-thesis and am taking 14 hours in this program. I need to take 16 hours next semester to graduate at the end of Spring 2018. The problem is the last class to fill the gap is posing a bit of a challenge...

Option A: Microbial Physiology, professor has never given an A pre-curve

Option B: Molecular Ecology, graduate students must complete a project which is apparently ~40 pages and takes 1-2 months to complete.

Option C: Advanced Anatomical Principles, online so would work well with schedule but is not covered under my graduate fellowship which means that I could be looking at ~$1800 to take this. Professor is supposedly fantastic though.

Not sure which option to do but graduation in the spring is going to be pretty much required. I currently have a couple of dental school interviews lined up. I know that this isn't a guarantee but this way if things don't work out, I can just drop a class to extend the program time.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Option A - it doesn't matter how many get A's pre-curve only after curve. Option B sounds pretty awful unless you are into Ecology. Option C is an online course and medical schools don't look favorably at online courses, unless you have a good reason which I guess in your case you could spin and just say there was scheduling issues and it was your only option.

Option A - it doesn't matter how many get A's pre-curve only after curve. Option B sounds pretty awful unless you are into Ecology. Option C is an online course and medical schools don't look favorably at online courses, unless you have a good reason which I guess in your case you could spin and just say there was scheduling issues and it was your only option.

I am not sure how his curve is but this is essentially a pick your poison scenario unfortunately. I do know of people who have made an A so it can be done in option A.