Advice on deciding on a post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

3rdgenerationMD

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay so here is the deal. I was accepted to UVM, Columbia, USC, Mills, Harvard Ext and UPENN. I am originally from the Boston area so I have pretty much eliminated USC and Mills since that would mean moving across the country. Harvard extension I am keeping in my back pocket but I think I would prefer a more structured program. So that leaves me with UVM, Columbia, and UPENN. Does anyone have an insight on these programs. I just want to attend somewhere where I will have the best chance of matriculating to med school. My parents are both doctors so I am feeling a lot of pressure and anxiety about the decision. Any advice or info would be great. Thanks!
 
I just finished at Columbia. I liked it. Don't get me wrong, I almost lost my mind studying and there were plenty of moments of academic frustration, but it was definitely rewarding. I feel like I got the best possible education that I could have, and the post-bac support structure is definitely there (personal statement writing workshops, advising, etc).

If you have good undergrad statistics (3.5-3.8 uGPA) then you might be eligible for linkage depending on how you do at Columbia. I have a lot of friends that went that route, and start med school in a few months. Not sure what UVM and UPENN offer as far as linkage goes, but it's something to consider if that's a route you might want to go. Here's a link to the schools that the program has linkage agreements with, and the requirements for each, if that is something you are interested in.

http://gs.columbia.edu/postbac/linkage