Advice on Externships in Southern California?

Started by daisykika
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

daisykika

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently trying to schedule my clinical rotations, and I'm trying to figure out where I can do some of my externships. Does anyone have any suggestions for clinics or hospitals for doing externships in Southern California (especially in the LA area and Orange County) for the following:

Oncology
Neurology
Lab Animal
Spay/Neuter

Any other suggestions in small animal externships in the area would be great too.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
For lab animal medicine, I know it's not L.A., but I highly recommend Salk Institute in La Jolla (outside of San Diego). I did two months there and had a really incredible experience. The clinical lab animal vet is incredible nice and loves to mentor and teach. Let me know if you want more info.

UCLA's lab animal department is usually pretty open to students as well. I did three months there over the summer between second and third year. The techs took me under their wings and I got some great hands on experience.
 
southern california vet specialty hospital in irvine for oncology. I really liked the two oncologists there.