Advice on job offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Puppies4Days

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping I could get some advice from some of my fellow vet students and new grads. I am currently in the middle of 4th year rotations and externing at a private practice. I have really enjoyed this practice and it definitely seems like a great place for a new grad to learn and grow (small practice, great support staff, great mentorship, quality medicine, great clientele, etc). They have told me that they are prepared to offer me a job when I graduate. An official on paper offer with job requirements, numbers and benefits has not yet been discussed (yet), they have indicated that they are willing to provide what I feel is a good work environment and it has got me thinking.

Here is the part that I am stuck on..... I never planned on staying here, I always saw myself returning to my home state. In fact there are many things that have been put on hold while I have been away at school (my horses, snowboarding, etc), and I have a lot of friends and family that I know really want me to come back. I know that the job market for veterinarians is not good, and so I fear that if I turn down this offer in the hopes of finding something in my ideal location, I might screw myself out of a really good opportunity. My other concern is that this is the only practice that I have been to as a student doctor (not as a technician) so I really don't have anything to compare to as apples to apples. Is this standard to be getting offers so early before graduation?

Overall, I feel like I have a huge conflict here between what my heart wants and what my brain knows is the smart decision, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Having spent most of my adult life working in and for the Army, I have seen and heard different variations of this many times over the years. At one point, there was a study out there that pointed out that after graduate school most people will change employers no less than five times before they retire.

This is my $0.02 worth and take it for what it’s worth. Ultimately, this choice is yours alone to make. Here are some considerations that you didn’t point out in your original post. What is your student loan debt. How soon is that note coming due? Is ANY employer willing to take on part of that debt as a condition of employment? Would you have to put those loans in forbearance until you find employment if you return home? What type of time off/vacation package comes with the job? Can it afford you long weekends to travel to your home state and seek employment there? What are your health considerations? Can you afford to be virtually without health insurance between graduation and when you do become employed? Are there other family and family health considerations to think about if not now but in the near future? Husband/Wife? Children?

You can be thankful that unlike some/most of the professionals I know they committed to a long term employment contract that there is no getting out of for a minimum of eight years. Further, the employer (the Army) can tell you where you will be living during that time with little to no consideration of your personal situation. Some, like myself adapt and enjoy this, others not so much. Then after years of stability and not having to worry about healthcare and a paycheck, some feel intimidated by having the above considerations as well as those same considerations for ancillary staff in the practice.

You’ve been away from your home for at least four years is another year or two tolerable? Or, are you just plain ole everyday homesick and absolutely need to get back? Again only you can decide.

Again, only you are going to know what you're capable of doing. Are you good at go-with-the-flow "not what I planned" or are you set on being back?

For what it's worth, my advice would be to go to check AVMA jobs to see if there are even any offers right now in areas near where you want to be. If so, explore the options. But at this point I personally wouldn't outright say "no" if the only qualm you have right now is that it's not where you expected to be. But if you like the area and you like the people, it's fair to consider it. Especialy because you can sign only a one or two year contract and if you decide you need to be back home you can always move. You still have yet to get a number offer or benefit package so you're still negotiating. It's not unreasonable to be considering it, but it's also not unreasonable to be looking elsewhere too. Know all your options!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're in the middle of your 4th year, this is the time to start thinking about jobs. Look on the AVMA job listing site and see if there are any jobs in your hometown; if so, send resumes. If not, you may want to try blindly reaching out to clinics in your hometown. Either way, see if you can drum up a few interviews in your hometown and compare those offers to what you get from this clinic at which you're externing. My experience (as a vet who has lived in the same area for 11 years, frequently commuting up to an hour or more each way) is that it can be hard to find good options when you limit yourself geographically. I definitely wouldn't say no to the place you've externed, but now is the time to see what else is available.

Thank you everyone for your advice! You have all brought up important points, and lets just say that once the offer is made it will be very seriously considered.

But let me ask this.... how much time following the official offer is considered reasonable to decide? I know in most situations the answer is a day or two. However, in my case I still have 7 months of rotation left and wouldn't be able to start work until the end of May at the earliest. Up until now all of my rotations have been on campus, but most of my remaining rotations are at various externship sites that I would like to consider working at depending on if it feels like the right fit (one in particular that I do not rotate with for another 4 months). I am just nervous about accepting an offer that seems great right now, only to find later in rotations that I would be a better fit elsewhere.

Thank you everyone for your advice! You have all brought up important points, and lets just say that once the offer is made it will be very seriously considered.

But let me ask this.... how much time following the official offer is considered reasonable to decide? I know in most situations the answer is a day or two. However, in my case I still have 7 months of rotation left and wouldn't be able to start work until the end of May at the earliest. Up until now all of my rotations have been on campus, but most of my remaining rotations are at various externship sites that I would like to consider working at depending on if it feels like the right fit (one in particular that I do not rotate with for another 4 months). I am just nervous about accepting an offer that seems great right now, only to find later in rotations that I would be a better fit elsewhere.

A day or two is short. 4 months is long if they have an immediate opening that needs filling. When are they planning on giving you an offer? From what you've written it sounds as if they aren't even in a rush to put together an offer since the position might be tailored to you. So you may have more time than normal. Since you wouldn't be available to start work until may (and really I advise taking time between school and work to chill so maybe even June), most places would probably be ok if you think on an offer for a couple weeks. However, they might not want to wait 4 months. Just be open and honest with them. Tell them you are definitely considering working with them but you have other externships coming up over the next 4 months and you'd like to get a feel at those places as well. Most employers know that applicants are going to be applying to more than one place and if they're not in immediate need, they might be ok waiting a few months...and they may say no.

But let me ask this.... how much time following the official offer is considered reasonable to decide? I know in most situations the answer is a day or two.

Holy cow - a day or 2 is WAY too short. If anyone is pressuring you to decide that quickly, just say no and spare yourself the future headache, because that's being entirely unreasonable.

What's reasonable? Hard to say. If someone were demanding an answer in less than a week I'd say they aren't someone you want as an employer.