advice on national health service corps scholarship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations, you have been selected to receive a National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Scholarship Program award.

Please respond to this email immediately with the following information if you elect to accept/decline this award. Also, please complete the attached W-4 and email or fax to my attention.

Name:
Last 4 of your social security number:
Whether you accept or decline this award:

If you decide to decline the award, please also notify me in writing (by email, mail, or facsimile) no later than 7 calendar days from the date of this email. To help us better plan for the program; please also include your reason for declining the award.

Your award is for the number of years required to complete the degree program as indicated on the Verification of Acceptance/Good Standing Report (submitted by your school) as long as you remain full-time and in good standing in the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So was that it? Has all of the good news gone out?

Hello FemmeNevrotique,
Last night you made a comment indicating that the emails for recipients of the 2008 NHSC scholarship may have been released as a result of a glitch in the NHSC's computer system, but you deleted that message. Will you explain why you deleted that post or have you learned of something new? Thanks! :)

Hello FemmeNevrotique,
Last night you made a comment indicating that the emails for recipients of the 2008 NHSC scholarship may have been released as a result of a glitch in the NHSC's computer system, but you deleted that message. Will you explain why you deleted that post or have you learned of something new? Thanks! :)

Hey Prosperity-
I deleted the message because I was receiving this news secondhand from another student. I figured I would re-update after making a call myself to the both the analyst and 1-800 number. I didn't want to send a surge of panic to students. There were a few students from my school myself included who got emails. Two students who called were told two different things regarding the emails. One student was told that false acceptances may have gone out which they are investigating and another student was told that false declines had actually gone out to students who indeed were selected. Sometimes I wonder about the people at the call center :confused:. Anywho I will definitely be updating my post once I call in the AM and get clarification for myself.

Hey Prosperity-
I deleted the message because I was receiving this news secondhand from another student. I figured I would re-update after making a call myself to the both the analyst and 1-800 number. I didn't want to send a surge of panic to students. There were a few students from my school myself included who got emails. Two students who called were told two different things regarding the emails. One student was told that false acceptances may have gone out which they are investigating and another student was told that false declines had actually gone out to students who indeed were selected. Sometimes I wonder about the people at the call center :confused:. Anywho I will definitely be updating my post once I call in the AM and get clarification for myself.
Thank you! :)

Thank you! :)

So I called the NHSC call center and explained the story....the rep didn't know what I was talking about. He claimed that was the first that he had ever heard of any false acceptance emails going out. He said contract packages should be in the mail. I'm still going to try to get in contact with the actual analyst who sent out the acceptance emails.

Ok so the people at the call center really have no idea what is going on. I believe they are contracted out. Anywho I received my contract in the mail today. Unfortunately I only signed on for 1 year. I misread and thought that I was supposed to renew each year and thus only signed the first line. I am a first year medical student which means I have to send in request for extension of funding for the additional 3 years in addition to a form from the registrar's office confirming that I am in good academic standing. If the funds are available then I should be good.

Last edited:
Ok so the people at the call center really have no idea what is going on. I believe they are contracted out. Anywho I received my contract in the mail today. Unfortunately I only signed on for 1 year. I misread and thought that I was supposed to renew each year and thus only signed the first line. I am a first year medical student which means I have to send in request for extension of funding for the additional 3 years in addition to a form from the registrar's office confirming that I am in good academic standing. If the funds are available then I should be good.
Thanks! Congrats to all who received the scholarship this year.

Congratulations to anyone who got an award!

Evidently, I haven't, but I'm okay with it. I might reapply I guess, we'll see.

Anyone else gotten an award?

I found out Friday morning that I was selected and couldn't be happier! I received my contract in the mail today. Goodbye 250000 dollars in debt!

For those selected for the scholarship I just had a quick question. This might be a little too personal, but are you a minority? Sorry if this question offends anyone I was just curious. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
In our applications, there was indication that alternate recipients would be selected. So, I am curious, does anyone know of someone who has ever been selected as an alternate? Or has anyone called to inquire about the alternate selection and notification process? I mean you would think most people would not decline such a generous scholarship, but there are times when people overlook the fact that this scholarship is for those interested in primary care or maybe they had later been granted a better scholarship via their institution or some other source that does not require repayment in an undeserved area. If you have any information on this please do share. :)

So the conference on Nov 6th is mandatory for new recipients I believe. So lets say some of us who have heard nothing yet are alternates, we may have until about the 20th of October to hear and get things returned, just maybe right? Or have people also found out that they are alternates along with the actually recipients??

Hello,
In our applications, there was indication that alternate recipients would be selected. So, I am curious, does anyone know of someone who has ever been selected as an alternate? Or has anyone called to inquire about the alternate selection and notification process? I mean you would think most people would not decline such a generous scholarship, but there are times when people overlook the fact that this scholarship is for those interested in primary care or maybe they had later been granted a better scholarship via their institution or some other source that does not require repayment in an undeserved area. If you have any information on this please do share. :)

Prosperity,
I was offered a scholarship as an alternate in '05. You should be notified by the same means that you are an alternate. They were actually able to tell me my number on the alternate list when I was notified. They also let me know then that every year they have at least a few who decline the scholarship. My guess is that this number is greater now (since the app only involves a written component I assume there are some less motivated applicants then when there was an in person interview).

Most important to everyone, don't lose hope. If you are committed to serving the underserved you will not have to pay for med school (there are simply too many loan repayment options for primary care doctors working in underserved settings). Best wishes to everyone!

Prosperity,
I was offered a scholarship as an alternate in '05. You should be notified by the same means that you are an alternate. They were actually able to tell me my number on the alternate list when I was notified. They also let me know then that every year they have at least a few who decline the scholarship. My guess is that this number is greater now (since the app only involves a written component I assume there are some less motivated applicants then when there was an in person interview).

Most important to everyone, don't lose hope. If you are committed to serving the underserved you will not have to pay for med school (there are simply too many loan repayment options for primary care doctors working in underserved settings). Best wishes to everyone!
Thank you Simpler2! Without a doubt, I am fully committed to becoming an Ob/Gyn in an undeserved area regardless of this scholarship. However, since I will be at ~$350, 000 in debt by the end of my 4th year, it sure would have come in handy.
One more question for you, so when you were selected as an alternate, you received you alternate letter at the same time as those who were accepted up front, or sometime thereafter?

One more question for you, so when you were selected as an alternate, you received you alternate letter at the same time as those who were accepted up front, or sometime thereafter?

I think it was around the same time. That being said, I remember people posting on SDN a few days before that they got acceptance letters. So, maybe alternates are notified a bit later...sorry I can't be more certain.

I think it was around the same time. That being said, I remember people posting on SDN a few days before that they got acceptance letters. So, maybe alternates are notified a bit later...sorry I can't be more certain.
No, you have been very helpful, thank you so much!

Actually, I called last week and they said they were behind. They said letters would be sent out at least until the end of this week.

yeah - i just called them today and they said they are still sending out mail (both acceptances and rejections) and they said we should definitely hear something within the next 2 weeks. i also snuck in a question about the email notifications and he sorta sidestepped it but said that there had been some emails but didn't say anything else about it. so keep watching your mailboxes!

i'm extremely doubtful about the veracity of these latest promises/assurances. everything in this thread suggests that the folks answering the phones over at the NHSC have no idea what they're talking about.

and the dude i spoke with reported that all acceptances had already been sent out and that rejections will follow as late as october 31. i wouldn't stake my house plant on the know-how of the NHSC call center folks, though.

Thank you for your expression of interest in serving the Nation’s medically underserved by applying for the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) scholarship. We regret to inform you that this year you have not been selected for further consideration. We appreciate the time and effort you spent in completing the application.

Competition for a NHSC scholarship was very high this year. We received over 800 applications for the less than 100 new scholarships we expect to award. The process for choosing participants for our program considers a number of factors, including the applicant’s demonstrated commitment to providing primary health care services in a federally-designated health professional shortage area (HPSA). The strongest applicants are selected for consideration based on the information provided on the application submitted.

You may wish to apply for the scholarship again next year. More information, as well as updates on other NHSC activities and opportunities can be found on our Web site at http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/.

Once again, we thank you for your interest in the NHSC. Best wishes as you continue your education and preparation for professional practice.

If you have any questions regarding this letter, please contact us at the NHSC Scholarship Program, c/o Discovery Logic, 1375 Piccard Drive, Suite 350, Rockville, MD 20850, or via telephone at 1-800-638-0824 or email at [email protected].

yep, i got my rejection email, too.. at least i don't have to keep waiting and wondering anymore. maybe i'll look into other opportunities (it seems that there are always programs out there to encourage people to provide health care for the underserved). and there's always the loan repayment option. best of luck to all of you, nhsc scholars and otherwise!

I am certain that I want to work in an underserved area, but I understand how people choose not based on their outrageous loan debt following medical school. I am thinking now, since I am an MS2, I will apply once more since you have to give a minimum of two years return service. The loan repayment program is not as great of a deal for someone like myself paying ~$70,000 a year, as it will pay back $50,000 for two years of service. I will look at other repayment programs, and if I cannot find anything that pays back well, I will probably like many others, not work in an underserved area for the first 10-15 years of practice to pay off loans, but ultimately work in an underserved area in my final years of practice, because the loans have to get paid somehow or another. I am praying for a blessing and a miracle. Also believing that because this door shut, another bigger and better door must be about to open. Again, congrats to the 2008-2009 recipients, and best wishes to those who have yes to receive their financial breakthough.

Last edited:
I also received my rejection email today, sadly enough. I do have some good news to share, though, that I think would be of interest to any student desiring to work with the underserved or in some primary care capacity.

Just over a year ago, a friend of mine in law school told me about a new law that had recently been signed; the law introduced two new student loan repayment options: Income-Based Repayment (which is different from the Income Contingent and Income Sensitive Repayment plans that already exist) and Public Service Loan Forgiveness.

Here are some informative links related to this new law:

http://projectonstudentdebt.org/initiative_page_view.php?initiative_idx=&initiative_page_idx=20

http://www.ibrinfo.org/what.vp.html

The way I understand it, someone could locate an "eligible job" (see links above) and begin working with the underserved right out of residency. The new Income-Based Repayment will ensure that monthly student loan payments for this individual are capped at an extremely reasonable level (usually less than 10% of one's total income). After ten years of making these affordable payments on time, the student's remaining debt is absolved completely, as long as they have remained employed by an "eligible employer."

It sounds like a very good deal for anyone interested in this type of career. I know this post is already too long, but I'll just finish with this update that was emailed about two weeks ago.

"Good News About Public Service Loan Forgiveness

While the U.S. Department of Education finalizes its regulations for Income-Based Repayment (IBR) and Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF), we've been active on other fronts to make sure that these programs really work for borrowers. For example, because the IRS treats most forgiven debt as taxable income, we asked key Members of Congress to seek clarification about the tax status of debt forgiven after 10 years in PSLF or 25 years in IBR. Just last week the U.S. Department of Treasury confirmed that participating in PSLF will NOT create new income-tax liabilities for borrowers, which is great news.

In response, Congressman Sandy Levin (D-MI) -- who has been leading this effort -- introduced a bipartisan bill to ensure that debt forgiven through IBR and Income-Contingent Repayment (ICR) will get the same common-sense treatment. Responsible borrowers with modest incomes should not be hit with potentially crippling tax bills because of forgiven student loans."

I've got my rejection letter too. Shall we throw a rejected students' party? I'll bring the (virtual) cookies...

norcal- thanks for that excellent resource! sounds awesome! i registered with the site to stay posted about updates. if anyone else has any other resources or suggestions for us lovely rejects :p post it here!

The loan repayment program is not as great of a deal for someone like myself paying ~$70,000 a year, as it will pay back $50,000 for two years of service. I will look at other repayment programs, and if I cannot find anything that pays back well, I will probably like many others, not work in an underserved area for the first 10-15 years of practice to pay off loans, but ultimately work in an underserved area in my final years of practice, because the loans have to get paid somehow or another.

There is so much need for primary care physicians in indigent care settings and so many incentives to help young physicians work in these settings. Working for many federally funded health centers comes with malpractice insurance and certain immunity against law suits. Though loan repayment may not sound like much, some of these programs pay your interest also, and you still pull in an "average" salary in addition to whatever loan repayment you receive. Yes, you will have to give up some choice on where and how you practice but the scholarship option would have resulted in the same reality. There will be so many things/people discouraging the giving of yourself to work for those in need...I don't think that the scholarship denial has to eliminate the possibility of practicing this sort of medicine.
Props to all those going down this road. Such work is enormously needed.

There is so much need for primary care physicians in indigent care settings and so many incentives to help young physicians work in these settings. Working for many federally funded health centers comes with malpractice insurance and certain immunity against law suits. Though loan repayment may not sound like much, some of these programs pay your interest also, and you still pull in an "average" salary in addition to whatever loan repayment you receive. Yes, you will have to give up some choice on where and how you practice but the scholarship option would have resulted in the same reality. There will be so many things/people discouraging the giving of yourself to work for those in need...I don't think that the scholarship denial has to eliminate the possibility of practicing this sort of medicine.
Props to all those going down this road. Such work is enormously needed.
As I mentioned, I did not say that my passion and desire to practice in an underserviced community was eliminated; however, i did indicate that that will be postponed until I am able to pay off my own debt, which I can likely accomplish more rapidly not working in an underserved community initially.

I see the deadline for the NHSC scholarship is in July ...

Is that for the current year?

i.e. if I matriculate in Fall of 2009 have I already missed the deadline?

Or is the deadline for Fall of 2009 this coming July (2009)??

Thanks very much!

:luck:

Stiz- Next summer's deadline would be for the school year beginning next fall, I believe. This fall's deadline was in the late summer of this year, and they only just announced their selections last month. Best of luck!

sorry I fished through this thread for a while and didn't seem to find the answer...

so if you receive the scholarship, then you graduate from med school and complete your residency wherever. THEN you are assigned to an underserved area? So theoretically, if you receive the scholarship for 4 years and you do OB/GYN, you'll graduate, do a 4 year residency, then do a 4 year service commitment? OUCH.

Also, can you request a particular city for your service commitment? For example, can I choose Philly and get assigned somewhere in the area?

sorry I fished through this thread for a while and didn't seem to find the answer...

so if you receive the scholarship, then you graduate from med school and complete your residency wherever. THEN you are assigned to an underserved area? So theoretically, if you receive the scholarship for 4 years and you do OB/GYN, you'll graduate, do a 4 year residency, then do a 4 year service commitment? OUCH.

Also, can you request a particular city for your service commitment? For example, can I choose Philly and get assigned somewhere in the area?

You can check this website for current placement sites nhscjobs.hrsa.gov, OB/GYN has more limited availability. FP offers the most choices for locations. As long as you are proactive it is very feasible to arrange your own placement site (more so for FP/IM). Also, the 4 year service commitment only affects your choice of location/clinic, you are paid the same rate as a non-scholar that would be employed by your chosen job site.

Regarding disadvantaged student priority status... how competitive is it for priority 2 compared to the rest of the gang?
Any of you disadvantaged? Were you accepted/rejected?

I know this is a pretty old thread but I was just wondering does anyone know when the application cycle typically opens up? Thanks!

I know this is a pretty old thread but I was just wondering does anyone know when the application cycle typically opens up? Thanks!

Last year it opened up around now. If you sign up to be notified they will email you when the application becomes available.

I am certain that I want to work in an underserved area, but I understand how people choose not based on their outrageous loan debt following medical school. I am thinking now, since I am an MS2, I will apply once more since you have to give a minimum of two years return service. The loan repayment program is not as great of a deal for someone like myself paying ~$70,000 a year, as it will pay back $50,000 for two years of service. I will look at other repayment programs, and if I cannot find anything that pays back well, I will probably like many others, not work in an underserved area for the first 10-15 years of practice to pay off loans, but ultimately work in an underserved area in my final years of practice, because the loans have to get paid somehow or another. I am praying for a blessing and a miracle. Also believing that because this door shut, another bigger and better door must be about to open. Again, congrats to the 2008-2009 recipients, and best wishes to those who have yes to receive their financial breakthough.

Just because the fed won't pay your loans doesn't mean a small rural hospital won't. They can get huge tax incentives to repay your debt, and most states also can roll whatever you have into a low interest loan if you practice in primary care. Current payment for 5 years is 145k, I think. That's 1/2 your debt.

Just because the fed won't pay your loans doesn't mean a small rural hospital won't. They can get huge tax incentives to repay your debt, and most states also can roll whatever you have into a low interest loan if you practice in primary care. Current payment for 5 years is 145k, I think. That's 1/2 your debt.

Thanks for pointing this out. I have heard of this before, but how do you find out about the hospitals that will do this?

My question is directed toward the other 2010 applicants. I sent my application in on May 4th along and I know all the people that send my supporting documents sent them in by the 6th. The NHSC claims it takes 30 days for them to list the supporting documents as "received" on the online application... does this bother anyone else or has anyone had their supporting documents cleared as "received."?

My question is directed toward the other 2010 applicants. I sent my application in on May 4th along and I know all the people that send my supporting documents sent them in by the 6th. The NHSC claims it takes 30 days for them to list the supporting documents as "received" on the online application... does this bother anyone else or has anyone had their supporting documents cleared as "received."?

I applied May 30th. Not a single one of my documents has been "received." I think it's especially silly that one could apply on the first day that the application is open, yet still not be able to confirm the receipt of documents before the application window closes. It's making me nervous, but it's out of my hands now....

I applied May 30th. Not a single one of my documents has been "received." I think it's especially silly that one could apply on the first day that the application is open, yet still not be able to confirm the receipt of documents before the application window closes. It's making me nervous, but it's out of my hands now....

I just got official confirmation that they have in fact received all my documents!

Has anyone heard any updates on the NHSC scholarship for this year (2010-2011)? I've heard some rumors of finalist emails and receiving award letters. Just curious for some information to judge whether I can keep my hopes up!

Has anyone heard any updates on the NHSC scholarship for this year (2010-2011)? I've heard some rumors of finalist emails and receiving award letters. Just curious for some information to judge whether I can keep my hopes up!

I have not heard anything as of yet... oh wait except the one day I almost had a heart attack around Aug 6th. I got an email from them saying I needed my school to contact them with the financial information otherwise I would not be eligible. I immediately called financial aid and they took care of it and found out it was a mistake by the office at the NHSC because my school information was not only mailed in June when I originally asked, but on their website my school was listed as registered (or whatever that means), so they contacted the regional office and I hope that is was taken care of. Other than that I did hear that they are good about at the very least telling you have it by September 30th. However I heard of a few people that did not get it but were not told they didnt receive it till mid Oct.

I also applied for NHSC and have not heard a word since they received all of my documents. I hope there's no truth to the rumors...