Advice on Newer DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's just an expensive school. Texas schools are usually cheaper. I'll look into UIWSOM more tho.

The problem with cheap Texas schools is that you have to be a resident to utilize that cheapness.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's just an expensive school. Texas schools are usually cheaper. I'll look into UIWSOM more tho.
I can attest that ARCOM is one of the newer schools that is currently doing a good job. Already having its own residencies going through ACGME accreditation. Lots of great rotation sites with sites less 5 minutes away from the school. Lots of support from the community and surrounding Hospitals. Also among the top 10 cheapest private medical schools in the US. Federal loans is also available.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

What's ARCOM's average MCAT? I cannot find it on their website and no contact info

Members don't see this ad :)
What's ARCOM's average MCAT? I cannot find it on their website and no contact info
For the inaugural class I think it was 498 because they ended up having to accept a bunch of people from the waitlist. But this year's class is stronger according to faculty members and the dean. I'm thinking it might be around 500-503 range this year. The report for this year's class hasn't come out yet, so I can't tell you for sure.

Edit: They do have contact info on the website. Check again.

I got a 3.98 and 3.957 and 500. 3.92 AACOMAS though. I;'ll look into them. I looked orginally and saw $75,000 but it's like $45,000 a year.

I got a 3.98 and 3.957 and 500. 3.92 AACOMAS though. I;'ll look into them. I looked orginally and saw $75,000 but it's like $45,000 a year.
Yeah, I think your stats are perfectly fine for ARCOM. And yeah, tuition and fees is like 45K a year which is low compared to other schools. I think we're like the 7th least expansive private medical school in the US. They set the whole cost of attendance at 74K a year, but you don't have to take the whole thing if you don't need all of it.

Edit: My stats were 3.72 and 3.70 and 500 on AACOMAS.

What matters is them staying out of your way in ms1-2 and having good rotations in ms3.

This thread has become too civil. Please go back to being a dumpster fire.

Reactions: 4 users
The problem with cheap Texas schools is that you have to be a resident to utilize that cheapness.

Eh I don't know.... I have multiple friends at the Texas MD schools and their tuition is all significantly lower than mine.... all OOS.

Eh I don't know.... I have multiple friends at the Texas MD schools and their tuition is all significantly lower than mine.... all OOS.

There’s a law mandating in-state tuition be given to any student receiving a scholarship, so some schools give a 1$ or some other functionally insignificant amount in order for OOS students to use IS tuition.

It happens sometimes.

There’s a law mandating in-state tuition be given to any student receiving a scholarship, so some schools give a 1$ or some other functionally insignificant amount in order for OOS students to use IS tuition.

It happens sometimes.

Even the OOS tuition is lower than just about all private school, or other state schools OOS, tuition though. The OOS tuition at TCOM is 28k.... that's lower than LECOM. According to my friend at UTSA every OOS person he knows got the "scholarship" lowering tuition to IS levels, I kinda wonder if every OOS person gets it seeing as there aren't that many.

ICOM is a beautiful home with windows for which you cannot see the inside. At least that was my impression. Not having accreditation, federal financial aid, an established name, and a graduated class are all serious considerations. Also, for 3rd and 4th year you can be in Idaho, Wyoming, North/South Dakota. And possibly bouncing around between the two. And a $3,000 deposit is just...wrong.

If this is your only acceptance, take it and run. Good luck with applying!

Reactions: 1 users

It happens sometimes.
This is a myth. Some schools may offer this but it is not a law.

Reactions: 1 users
Even the OOS tuition is lower than just about all private school, or other state schools OOS, tuition though. The OOS tuition at TCOM is 28k.... that's lower than LECOM. According to my friend at UTSA every OOS person he knows got the "scholarship" lowering tuition to IS levels, I kinda wonder if every OOS person gets it seeing as there aren't that many.
Yes, the most you will pay in tuition at any of the state-subsidized medical schools as an OOS student is about 33,000. So TX is also a bargain for OOS students. The outliers are UIWSOM (DO) and TCU and UNTHSC SOM (new private med school in Ft Worth) at about 55,000 tuition.

Being that medical students are adult learners, and can figure out their own best way to learn, I will always recommend those schools that don't live in the 19th Century.

484763ed-4bf4-44b6-a018-0c1957aa1384

Last edited: