Advice On Quitting a Job to Move Forward in Vet Career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinkDrinkz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a break from pursuing my vet school dreams but now I'm back at it!

I've been working part-time as a chiropractic office assistant just to save up money. It's an okay job. It's definitely better than nothing and you always learn something from any position. However, even though it is a part-time job, my boss makes it impossible to do other things during my days off (aka days where I can go get vet/animal experience, etc). There are always weekend events or seminars where I fly out to another state days at a time. Because I don't have a car at the moment, I also have to Uber there, which is about $13 one-way, so it definitely hurts my wallet. I'm also going to be going to a two-day seminar in a few days and then spending 3 days of "fun-time" there -- just with my boss, where she wants me to pay half of my amusement ticket.

However, I got a job offer as a tech to work at a vet hospital and I just interviewed for another tech position at a hospital I take my kitten to and honestly, I would love to work there. The practice manager I interviewed with was great and let me know that I would get a lot of experience. The hospital is also very close by so I can literally walk there and open 7 days a week. (Yay, no Uber rides!)

My problem is:
1) How would I break it to my current boss about quitting? --
I've never been great at quitting jobs because I do not want to cause any animosity. I'm her only assistant so I do not want to hinder her work as it is going to be busy soon. However, I do not want to hold off on a potential job offer that will allow me to get the vet experience I need, make me feel fulfilled and happy, and also save me lots of money. She wanted someone to stay with her at least a year and when I interviewed with her, I agreed because at that time, I did not know if I was still going to stick to my vet school plans.

2) When do I break it to her? Before the seminar or after? -- I go in a few days and will be back after 5 days. I want to do this as soon as possible but don't know when I should tell her I want to quit. I've only worked there for a little over a month.

3) How would you go about it? What would you say?

Sorry, it was a bit wordy but any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I took a break from pursuing my vet school dreams but now I'm back at it!

I've been working part-time as a chiropractic office assistant just to save up money. It's an okay job. It's definitely better than nothing and you always learn something from any position. However, even though it is a part-time job, my boss makes it impossible to do other things during my days off (aka days where I can go get vet/animal experience, etc). There are always weekend events or seminars where I fly out to another state days at a time. Because I don't have a car at the moment, I also have to Uber there, which is about $13 one-way, so it definitely hurts my wallet. I'm also going to be going to a two-day seminar in a few days and then spending 3 days of "fun-time" there -- just with my boss, where she wants me to pay half of my amusement ticket.

However, I got a job offer as a tech to work at a vet hospital and I just interviewed for another tech position at a hospital I take my kitten to and honestly, I would love to work there. The practice manager I interviewed with was great and let me know that I would get a lot of experience. The hospital is also very close by so I can literally walk there and open 7 days a week. (Yay, no Uber rides!)

My problem is:
1) How would I break it to my current boss about quitting? -- I've never been great at quitting jobs because I do not want to cause any animosity. I'm her only assistant so I do not want to hinder her work as it is going to be busy soon. However, I do not want to hold off on a potential job offer that will allow me to get the vet experience I need, make me feel fulfilled and happy, and also save me lots of money. She wanted someone to stay with her at least a year and when I interviewed with her, I agreed because at that time, I did not know if I was still going to stick to my vet school plans.

2) When do I break it to her? Before the seminar or after? -- I go in a few days and will be back after 5 days. I want to do this as soon as possible but don't know when I should tell her I want to quit. I've only worked there for a little over a month.

3) How would you go about it? What would you say?

Sorry, it was a bit wordy but any advice would be appreciated!
Just be honest that you've gotten a job offer in the field you want to go into. If you didn't tell your boss you were looking for a different job it might come as a shock, but if she's a reasonable person it shouldn't be a huge deal. Explain that you didn't anticipate the switch when you took the job with her, but this is an opportunity you don't want to pass up. Two weeks notice is all you're obligated to give unless you signed a contract to stay on longer, but if it's okay with your new job you might offer to stay on a little longer (maybe a month or so) until she can find and train your replacement. I would talk to her about it as soon as possible.

Reactions: 1 users