Advice on Reapplying with Academic IA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawayv12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm currently a college senior at a top 20 college. During my freshman year, I did something stupid and highly immature. I attempted to cheat on a test regrade by changing one answer, and was caught. I confessed, and was placed on Academic Probation. I'm not making any excuses for my conduct, but I was stressed, immature, and unusued to college life. I take full responsibilities for my actions, and I've grown and matured a great deal because of that incident.

Since then, I've worked to piece my life back together. I decided that medicine was the career for me, so I became a Biology Major. I worked extremely hard, and got a 3.65 GPA, and last year, I got a 37 on my MCAT. I've worked as a TA for Math and Physics, have shadowed 3 doctors, and have over 100 hours volunteering in a Children's hospital. I also was involved in research, and now have 2 publications (3rd Authorships) to my name. I'm proud of these accomplishments, because I toiled for them.

On the advice on my PreMed Advisor, I applied during this application cycle. I applied to over 30 schools, both big and small. I got recommendation letters from my Premed Committee AND the Academic Dean who was in charge of me over my career.

Unfortunately, I only received 2 interviews; one at one of the best schools in the world, and another at my state school (also a very good school). I would have loved to go to either

Today, I found out that I'd been rejected at the "Top" school that I had interviewed at. I haven't heard back from the other school, though I interviwed in November and many of my classmates who interviewed after me have been accepted. I'm not expecting anything however, and would be over the moon if I got in

Thus, I anticipate having to reapply. But I dont know if it's worth it. My PreMed Advisors are encouraging me to reapply, and say that they've seen cases far worse than mine get into medical school. But I dont know what to do. I've spent a few thousand already on this cycle, and It's damn near bankrupted me. I really would like to be able to serve people as a Physician one day, but this IA seems like an insurmountable obstacle. What should I do? Which Schools should I apply to next time around? Do any of you have any experience with this? If you're uncomfortable talking about your own experiences, please feel free to PM me.

I know I made a mistake. I've matured greatly because of it, and it will forever haunt me. But I'm ready to move on. But It's hard, really hard

Members don't see this ad.

Reapply. You can definitely make it. Plenty of people take multiple cycles to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reapply. You can definitely make it. Plenty of people take multiple cycles to get in.

Are there really plenty of people with cheating on their records who get in after multiple cycles? Can anyone personally attest to having been admitted to a US med school (MD or DO) with an institutional action relate to academic dishonesty?

OP, get your ducks in a row to get a full time job when you finish college. Explore other careers. If you were to come back to medicne 5-7 years from now, a decade after this event, then you might have a chance... right now, I think that schools would be gun-shy about taking someone with a record of academic dishonestry because schools don't want to face dealing with someone who is going to do this in medical school when stressed and unsure of medical school life.

Reactions: 1 users
Although I generally defer to LizzyM almost exclusively, I think it's worth reapplying (include some DO schools and apply bottom heavy). Also contact all the schools you applied to and see if they will give you feedback. They might give you an objective idea of what's going on. A gap year might do you well though to grow up and move beyond this a little bit more (5-7 is excessive, you're not in prison). It sounds like you are a great student who did something dumb, and got caught. I'm sure there are people every year who get into Med School having done bad things who were simply never caught (ie cheating, lying on AMCAS, doing drugs, etc.). It sounds like you might have applied top heavy with an average GPA too.

Anyways, good luck.

Although I generally defer to LizzyM almost exclusively, I think it's worth reapplying (include some DO schools and apply bottom heavy). Also contact all the schools you applied to and see if they will give you feedback. They might give you an objective idea of what's going on. A gap year might do you well though to grow up and move beyond this a little bit more (5-7 is excessive, you're not in prison). It sounds like you are a great student who did something dumb, and got caught. I'm sure there are people every year who get into Med School having done bad things who were simply never caught (ie cheating, lying on AMCAS, doing drugs, etc.). It sounds like you might have applied top heavy with an average GPA too.

Anyways, good luck.

I don't think one extra gap year would be enough. The OP's IA is much more severe than a noise violation or alcohol violation in college. The OP needs to take some time off to show emotional maturity and demonstrate that this is a thing of the past. LizzyM has also said before that at her school, the IA is judged by itself regardless of anything else in the app. Only if the committee decides that IA is admissible does the applicant get a chance to show his/her experience and desire to enter medicine. I highly doubt an adcom committee would push this kind of IA forward after just one gap year.

Unfortunately, although some people will inevitably squeak through the cracks, adcom members can only judge the actions of people who have been caught by law enforcement or their colleges.

I've never seen an applicant with a cheating IA on their app. A small handful of underage drinking/marijuana, but never academic dishonesty. Those apps probably end up being auto-rejected. I agree with LizzyM on this, it's not something that can be easily explained away or overcome with just a gap year or applying to more schools. Likening this to the other recent thread about the student who made an "anonymous" threat, why would a school want a student who has a history of academic dishonesty when there are hundreds or thousands of qualified applicants who don't have that record?

Reactions: 1 user
One thing to consider is that the op did get 2 interviews, one to "one of the best schools in the world" (OP ego lol), and still has a shot at getting into state school. I'm sure the IA was reviewed before the II was sent, so someone must have deemed OP permissable to go to their school. This might all be a moot point if OP gets in!

I suggest you stop blaming your actions on "stress" because that will make anyone reject you automatically. Everyone knows that, academically, you have no idea what stress is until you've gone through medical school, so you can conclude what they'll believe about you. There's a good chance that you got invited because they didn't review that part of your application. Some schools simply don't screen those things at all until after they interview. LizzyM is an ADCOM, so I'd listen to her advice on divorcing yourself from school for a few years. Applying D.O., as others have suggested, is not going to make a difference because your actions were academically dishonest. This is not a scenario where someone can't break a 30 on the MCAT.

If you're shut out, apply more broadly. There are people out there who believe in redemption.

At my own school, we do interview people with academic IAs like OP's, because my school doesn't pre-screen. However, they fare poorly when the AdCom meets.

STRONGLY agree with Albino's post about your statement: "stressed, immature, and unusued to college life." You can limit to "immature." The other two are indeed excuses.

Hey Guys,

I'm currently a college senior at a top 20 college. During my freshman year, I did something stupid and highly immature. I attempted to cheat on a test regrade by changing one answer, and was caught. I confessed, and was placed on Academic Probation. I'm not making any excuses for my conduct, but I was stressed, immature, and unusued to college life. I take full responsibilities for my actions, and I've grown and matured a great deal because of that incident.

Since then, I've worked to piece my life back together. I decided that medicine was the career for me, so I became a Biology Major. I worked extremely hard, and got a 3.65 GPA, and last year, I got a 37 on my MCAT. I've worked as a TA for Math and Physics, have shadowed 3 doctors, and have over 100 hours volunteering in a Children's hospital. I also was involved in research, and now have 2 publications (3rd Authorships) to my name. I'm proud of these accomplishments, because I toiled for them.

On the advice on my PreMed Advisor, I applied during this application cycle. I applied to over 30 schools, both big and small. I got recommendation letters from my Premed Committee AND the Academic Dean who was in charge of me over my career.

Unfortunately, I only received 2 interviews; one at one of the best schools in the world, and another at my state school (also a very good school). I would have loved to go to either

Today, I found out that I'd been rejected at the "Top" school that I had interviewed at. I haven't heard back from the other school, though I interviwed in November and many of my classmates who interviewed after me have been accepted. I'm not expecting anything however, and would be over the moon if I got in

Thus, I anticipate having to reapply. But I dont know if it's worth it. My PreMed Advisors are encouraging me to reapply, and say that they've seen cases far worse than mine get into medical school. But I dont know what to do. I've spent a few thousand already on this cycle, and It's damn near bankrupted me. I really would like to be able to serve people as a Physician one day, but this IA seems like an insurmountable obstacle. What should I do? Which Schools should I apply to next time around? Do any of you have any experience with this? If you're uncomfortable talking about your own experiences, please feel free to PM me.

I know I made a mistake. I've matured greatly because of it, and it will forever haunt me. But I'm ready to move on. But It's hard, really hard

Last edited:
Are there really plenty of people with cheating on their records who get in after multiple cycles? Can anyone personally attest to having been admitted to a US med school (MD or DO) with an institutional action relate to academic dishonesty?

OP, get your ducks in a row to get a full time job when you finish college. Explore other careers. If you were to come back to medicne 5-7 years from now, a decade after this event, then you might have a chance... right now, I think that schools would be gun-shy about taking someone with a record of academic dishonestry because schools don't want to face dealing with someone who is going to do this in medical school when stressed and unsure of medical school life.

I would normally agree with you, but what do you make of the two interviews? If OP's application was universally DOA with the IA, schools wouldn't bother to waste an interview spot. I realize that I'm going against the grain on this one, but I think that if OP reapplies widely to MD/DO, he/she can make it in.

It's your call, OP. You could take one more shot at it, or you could wait a couple years and have a job, save up the money to apply, and then go for it. The average age of my class is mid 20s, and taking some time off is probably more common than going straight in (or at least 50/50). Id say the 2 interviews mean you're not totally out of the running, but it depends on luck of getting the right adcoms and interviewers.

If you got multiple interviews, then that academic probation didn't ruin you. Otherwise everyone would have rejected you right off the bat. Make improvements (even if that means taking another year off) and reapply

I don't know the policies of the schools that interviewed the OP. Perhaps the policy is that every instate applicant is interviewed. Perhaps the policy at the other school is that every applicant from the undergrad college with stats above x/x.x are interviewed or every applicant from specific top 20 feeder schools. If that's the rule, then things like IAs might get looked at later rather than before interview.

Well, my state schools have the option to talk to an admissions officers to get feedback, so I'll certainly use that and see what they say. I was surprised to get interviews, but I'd have really liked an acceptance. If I do reapply it will be very broadly

What I'm gonna do, I don't know. But if I do get in a school, I'll keep sdn updated.

But to anyone reading this thread, don't follow in my footsteps. Cheating is wrong, and it WILL ruin your life

What is with all the people on this forum that have histories of cheating and academic dishonesty? I feel like there us a thread every day or two on this.

Apply one more time, if you don't get in, take some time off to establish a responsible career. Medical schools would likely worry that if you were tempted to cheat in undergrad, that the enhanced stress of medical school might push you to do the same when the going gets tough. Or worse yet, that you might damage the school's reputation by attempting to cheat on the boards or by doing dishonest things on your rotations. By establishing yourself as a responsible adult in a decent career, medical schools will have proof that you have moved beyond your childish ways, as "cheating" in the workplace will often land you fired or work to your detriment (unless you're in politics, sales, or law lol). Good luck.

According to my schools medical advisors, they've had several people get into MD schools after an IA. I never would have pursued medicine if they had told me there was no chance, so I'm a little surprised that there seem to be no cases of this on SDN.

Either way, I'll go and talk to admissions officers at the schools that offer such a service. I just need one school to believe in me.

I don't know the policies of the schools that interviewed the OP. Perhaps the policy is that every instate applicant is interviewed. Perhaps the policy at the other school is that every applicant from the undergrad college with stats above x/x.x are interviewed or every applicant from specific top 20 feeder schools. If that's the rule, then things like IAs might get looked at later rather than before interview.

This was the case at one school I interviewed at. I received an II and then a week before my interview I received letter from the school saying they realized I had an IA and they were requesting for documentation about it from my undergrad. The letter was generic and included a line saying that "if you already have an interview scheduled please attend as usual" leading me to believe that they offer II's prior to a full evaluation of the primary.

My IA was not academic in nature though so it could have received a different level of screening.

According to my schools medical advisors, they've had several people get into MD schools after an IA. I never would have pursued medicine if they had told me there was no chance, so I'm a little surprised that there seem to be no cases of this on SDN.

Either way, I'll go and talk to admissions officers at the schools that offer such a service. I just need one school to believe in me.

Did they say those IA's were for academic dishonesty or were they just IA's? IA's can be for underage drinking, marijuana use, even noise complaints, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Did they say those IA's were for academic dishonesty or were they just IA's? IA's can be for underage drinking, marijuana use, even noise complaints, etc.
They told me it was an academic violation, and were worse than mine

Hey Guys,

I wonder if you have gotten accepted to medical school last year.
Are you reapplying this year?