Advice on Retakes, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted92121

So I have been working on seeing where I stand in the grand scheme of things with my GPA and such. Turns out that it is possible to improve it immensely, all thanks to the fact that DO schools replace the oldest grade with the most current. The F's and withdrawals are due to some personal problems that I experienced and needed more time to mature to learn how to handle them. I am on my third (and final) college. I accept full responsibility for my past academic mishaps but I am not going to let them define me. Here is the list I have assembled:

Prerequisites

Bio I - Original: F Retake: B

Bio I Lab – C+

Bio II – Original: B (Taken at CC) Retake: TBA

Bio II Lab -

Gen Chem I – Original: W (Taken at CC) Retake: C

Gen Chem II – Original C- Retake: TBA

O-Chem I –

O-Chem II –

Physics I – B

Physics II –

Physics Lab –

Other Retakes

A&P I – Original: C Retake: TBA

A&P II – Original: F Retake: TBA

Microeconomics – Original: F Retake: TBA

*Note: Retaking the above three courses at the local CC because undergrad college doesn’t offer them

Withdrawals

Gen Chem I –See above under prerequisites

Cell Biology—Withdrew from entire semester (see Genetics)

Genetics—Withdrew from entire semester (see Cell Biology)

My GPA minus the above classes is approximately 3.4-3.5. Once I retake a few of these and do well in the remaining courses, I should still have a GPA in the 3.5 area still. On top of this I have had a non-science research internship that got me a trip to Singapore, volunteer work, shadowing, President of my dorm, membership on several councils, full-time employment as an EMT, and am currently getting my Paramedic certification.

Any thoughts, criticism, etc would be most appreciated.

all the best,
dxu

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you fail Bio I and A&P II?

I don't mean to be a downer, but are the sciences not your thing or are you just starting to get motivated?

One thing to consider, while the GPA does get changed for AACOMAS, the schools you apply to will still see your lackluster grades in subjects that you really should be excelling in as a premed.

Goodluck with your classes-

ALL your retakes need to be A's from here on out!!! Set the standards high for yourself! If you do that, do well on the MCAT, and have good EC's I think you'll be ok. Lots of people are immature the first time around. You HAVE to show that you've changed. Good luck and don't let people tell you it's impossible!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you fail Bio I and A&P II?

I don't mean to be a downer, but are the sciences not your thing or are you just starting to get motivated?

One thing to consider, while the GPA does get changed for AACOMAS, the schools you apply to will still see your lackluster grades in subjects that you really should be excelling in as a premed.

Goodluck with your classes-

Actually I understand the subjects fairly well, I get concepts better than a lot of folks. But it came down to my priorities. I let a few things get in my way and lost sight of the goal. But I am pushing hard now to reach my goal. I realize they will see the grades but lets face it, they see your current GPA and MCAT first. I need to have both of those decent just for them to even open my application to know about the retakes.

dxu