Advice on school designation: international (non-canadian)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessieH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!! I know it's super late that I am about to e-submit the application, but I would really appreciate any advice on school designations :)

About me : I am currently a rising third year international grad student at a top university in US and I decided to get a master degree instead of a phd degree and apply for dental schools.
GPA: 3.78 (B.S. outside US) 3.0 (graduate school in US )
DAT: TS23 AA24 (Bio20 GC28 OG25 PAT21 RC22 QR27)
Shadowing: 150+ hrs
Academic experience: laboratory research experiences on a variety of scientific projects

I know I probably should wait for the next cycle to apply early, but I will still give it a try. Any advice is welcome! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

When pulling the trigger early, there is always the danger of shooting oneself in the foot. US ds require all prerequisites to have been done at a US institution.

Reactions: 1 user
When pulling the trigger early, there is always the danger of shooting oneself in the foot. US ds require all prerequisites to have been done at a US institution.

Hi doc toothache, thanks for the reply. Believe me I had concerns about my prerequisites, but then I found the following on upenn admin webpage:

"International Applicants
 Course work from students who complete their degrees in countries other than the U.S. and Canada will be considered provided they include the foreign course work on their AADSAS applications. In addition, translated transcripts from ECE transcript service must be submitted to the Penn Dental Medicine Admissions Office in order to review the student’s academic performance. Although international students are not required to meet their minimum course prerequisites at a U.S. educational institution, preference will be given to those who have taken some course work in the U.S." - See more at: http://www.dental.upenn.edu/academi...m/dmd_program_admissions#sthash.jdexLp1n.dpuf

and this on NYU admin page (http://dental.nyu.edu/academicprograms/dds-program/admission-requirements.html):

"A Bachelor's degree from an accredited US or Canadian college or university, including all prerequisite courses. As of the 2014 admissions cycle, applicants holding a foreign Bachelor's degree in a profession from an accredited school also are eligible to apply."

I know the chances for admission of international students who did their prerequisites outside US like me is very very low, but not like zero right (I'm seriously asking haha)? I am not planning to apply to 20+ schools like local pre-dental students, only a few which are relatively open to students with an international bachelor degree. So if the chances are like zero and I still want to apply next cycle, should I clear the prerequisites by attending some community college or something? I've no idea. Any suggestion? Thanks!

Looks like you have it all figured out and do not need any help/suggestions.