Advice on School List!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AthenaProject

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN! I'm applying to dental school in the upcoming cycle and would like some advice on my school list because I'm afraid it's top school heavy. I would like to prioritize cost. Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks!

Overall GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.0 (so far, still finishing physics)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 26AA, 27 TS, 26 OC, 24 GC, 30 Bio, 25 RC, 26 QR, 25 PAT
State of Residence: CA

Major: Biological Sciences
Minor: Piano Studies
not a minority, reapplicant, or nontraditional applicant

Shadowing Experience: ~60 general dentist (will be at least 100 by the time I apply), and shadowing at a low-cost dental clinic right now
Volunteering Experience: ~350 hours (started my own volunteer org)
Employment: worked as a teacher, activity leader for a summer program
Research: ~300 hours, no publications
Other Extracurriculars: leadership positions on other service clubs/dental club
Relevant Honors or Awards: got some scholarships

School list:

1. UCSF
2. UoP
3. Stonybrook
4. Buffalo
5. Penn
6. UConn
7. USC
8. Harvard
9. UnLV

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN! I'm applying to dental school in the upcoming cycle and would like some advice on my school list because I'm afraid it's top school heavy. I would like to prioritize cost. Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks!

DAT score (include AA and all sections): 26AA, 27 TS, 26 OC, 24 GC, 30 Bio, 25 RC, 26 QR, 25 PAT

Shadowing Experience: ~60 general dentist (will be at least 100 by the time I apply), and shadowing at a low-cost dental clinic right now

School list:

1. UCSF
2. UoP
3. Stonybrook
4. Buffalo
5. Penn
6. UConn
7. USC
8. Harvard
9. UnLV
take off U$C
add UCLA

You're probably in a good position with more hours and more networking with students at those schools. You need to be sure the schools really want you and you will be well supported wherever you go.

Members don't see this ad :)

School list:

1. UCSF
2. UoP
3. Stonybrook
4. Buffalo
5. Penn
6. UConn
7. USC
8. Harvard
9. UnLV
This list doesn’t prioritize cost. Take off Penn, USC, and Harvard. Way too expensive. Not sure about cost of UnLV and UoP, but I heard they cost a ton. you should double check. You have good stats, you don’t need to pay that much for dental school.

Add others schools which allow changing to in-state after the first year. I know Rutgers, UConn, SB, and Buffalo, but I know there are others. If you’re from CA, why not UCLA?

UConn is a fantastic school - I'm saying this as someone who has no bias to shill for them - I’d put it top 3 on your list for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You're probably in a good position with more hours and more networking with students at those schools. You need to be sure the schools really want you and you will be well supported wherever you go.
Got it! Any suggestions on how to do so right now during COVID?

This list doesn’t prioritize cost. Take off Penn, USC, and Harvard. Way too expensive. Not sure about cost of UnLV and UoP, but I heard they cost a ton. you should double check. You have good stats, you don’t need to pay that much for dental school.

Add others schools which allow changing to in-state after the first year. I know Rutgers, UConn, SB, and Buffalo, but I know there are others. If you’re from CA, why not UCLA?

UConn is fantastic school - I’d put it top 3 on your list.
Thank you for your advice! I checked out Rutgers and it seems pretty expensive still even after changing to in-state after the first year. I think I can change to in-state for UnLV. Not a big fan of UCLA and how they have to bring patients in but have been debating on whether to put it on my list.

Yes, take it off. There’s nothing safe about $700k debt. Use UCLA/UCSF as safety schools. You’ll be fine.
this^
i wouldn't consider the UCs as "safety" even with your stats, perhaps utah, colorado, ohsu as safety schools...

Not a big fan of UCLA and how they have to bring patients in but have been debating on whether to put it on my list.
Not sure what this really means because you do get a patient pool that you work with from 2nd-4th year that provide the bulk of your requirements. You don't really "have" to bring patients in but you definitely can if you want to, and you get assigned new patients all the time too.