This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LidocaineMane32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im planning on taking the DAT in April 2020 and will be prepping with DATDestroyer, Feralis notes, Dr. Romano's Dynamite bio review, DAT Bootcamp, and PAT Booster. Im a little unsure on how to begin studying for the DAT with the vast amount of information that is covered on it. Would it be wise to take a full practice exam (DD or DATBC) from the start to identify where my biggest weakness/strengths are? Should I study the sections simultaneously or independently?

I know everyone learns/studies differently but id like to know what approach those that have taken the DAT took. My background, Ive made all A's in my sciences but only took 1 or 2 classes at a time (so i could devote all my time to one class/lab). I have an average science knowledge foundation and definitely need refreshing on the QR sections due to my below average math skills.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1. No, take one after a week or two. Dat knowledge might be different than your college and plus your memory of the material will be jogged by then.
2. Simultaneously. A little every day.
3. Search for "breakdowns" and read the OPs explanation for what they did.
4. Practice math more.

Reactions: 2 users
You may be using a bit too many resources to prepare - you don't want to overwhelm yourself with a ton because that could very well end up confusing you more. I stuck to the Destroyer products + PATBooster and did well personally, which I think is a surefire way to do great (no one does bad using both those, as we've seen pretty often on the forums). Feel free to check out my breakdown for more information.

And like Appalachian said, practice QR more. If you're weak on something, practice it more. Build a better foundation. Plain and simple.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with ChemistryDentist as well. You don't want to use too many resources. I had the same dilemma when I first decided to study DAT for real. I felt like there were a vast amount of information to cover and a vast amount of available resources.

I used Bootcamp for concept learning and used Destroyer mostly to practice problems. I didn't use PAT Booster, but I heard great stories, so if you have time, it should help you prepare for PAT as well.

You just have to start studying, and you will be able to discern which notes you like, which one you don't. Once you made up your mind, then you can really commit to those study materials!

Reactions: 3 users
I personally did one round of content review first (using whatever resource you prefer) before touching a practice test. Ideally practice tests should expose areas you're weak in, and if you take a practice test before you've done any review, you'll tend to get a bunch of questions wrong that are just things you've forgotten but not necessarily bad at.

I studied sections simultaneously - it can feel like there's a lot of information on the test and you want to keep each subject fresh. Regularly doing each subject every day (even if it's only for a bit) helps keep it all in your memory.

Reactions: 1 user