Advice on strengthening application...what changes did you make to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sareeb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Degree: Bachelor in Science (biology) this may
Race: Korean

After the first time applying I had two interviews and was placed on the prospective reapplicant list for both schools. I would love some advice on those who had to strengthen their applications before getting in after the first/second/third etc. try. My plans: I have enrolled in the kaplan mcat prep course in order to retake the mcat (currently have 25R - 8 verb, 8 phy sci., 9 bio) and will receive certification as EMT. Also, 2 semesters of academics were not accounted in my last application.

New GPA: BCPM 3.65 Total 3.73

Life experiences: Went to Haiti for 10 days - aided in clean water program, microcrediting program for women, sponsorship programs, etc. Traveled extensively and have experienced many cultures: Korea, Dominican Republic, Ireland, England, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, the Carribbean Islands, and Haiti.

Healthcare experience: Volunteered for 4 semesters in Radiology, volunteered for 2 summers in patient transport. Jobshadowed psychiatrist and radiologist, the latter for 5 months.

Research experience: 5 semesters of organic chemistry research (presenter at 2 conferences, one publication), 3 semesters of cell & molec bio.

Awards/Honors: Polymer Award, Phipps Scholarship, will graduate summa cum laude this May.

Letters of recommend: one doctor, the rest are science professors.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

What does being on the prospective re-applicant list entail?

Everything you've listed looks good. Your success is really going to be based on how strong your PS is, how well you do on your next MCAT, how broadly you apply, and how early you apply. How many schools are you thinking of? I would try to get a non-sci professor to write you a letter. That can open you up to applying to those schools that require a non-science letter.

Also, are you going to use the EMT ceritifcation? Or just have it to say you have it? It'd be real nice is you used it and had experiences that could flesh out your PS and keep conversation flowing in your intervews.

Thank you for your response. Prospective reapplicant...well SIU told me that everything looked good on my application except the mcat, which I will retake in April. I will send in my amcas in June. I will definitely use my EMT certification! I am very excited to start actually WORKING in a hospital instead of stand by and watch other people work. I am getting certified partly for the application but mostly for myself. I think this will make me stronger in terms of understanding patient care, patient loss, and how to work quickly and efficiently under a great deal of pressure. My question to you is...I won't be certified until the end of July...should I just briefly mention my plans in the personal statement then bring up my experiences in the interview? I plan on applying to SIU, UIC, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, and the UIC rural med program. Would you recommend applying to a DO school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing you're an Illinois resident who's not particularly interested in branching out of state?

I think your GPA is great, I think a great MCAT will enhance that. I don't recommend applying DO if you don't believe in it or if you don't hold it in the same regard as MD. If MD=DO=doctor to you, then go for it. That broadens your options that much more. If you do apply DO, it would be a good idea to shadow a DO, as many if not all osteopathic schools require a letter from a DO.

As for EMT certification, you want to get your app in ASAP, which may mean that it gets submitted at the expense of not being able to include information about EMT certification in your PS. I wouldn't worry about it...you could always bring it up at interviews.

You're golden if you retake the MCAT (30+) and apply broadly.

Agreed with above. Improve the MCAT and you're good to go.