Advice on taking a year off while applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p00psicleSTICK

cat's in the cradle
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think most people do a post-bac to raise their GPAs, but I already have a good GPA and I do not wish to spend my money on getting a degree that I don't want/need. Instead, I plan to just work in a lab and volunteer at places to boost my clinical experience. Do you think med schools will look down on this if I spend a year "goofing off"? Any advice on what to do during the free year would be highly appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

p00psicleSTICK said:
I think most people do a post-bac to raise their GPAs, but I already have a good GPA and I do not wish to spend my money on getting a degree that I don't want/need. Instead, I plan to just work in a lab and volunteer at places to boost my clinical experience. Do you think med schools will look down on this if I spend a year "goofing off"? Any advice on what to do during the free year would be highly appreciated, thanks.

Yes they'll blackball you from ever applying to med school;)..jk. No I think you're fine. If you are satisfied with your numerical stats, the only reason why I would continue classes is just to keep my study skills, and/or broaden my knowledge. Doing research and clinical experience is fine too. I have known people to take a year off, go to Europe to play soccer. Clearly not academically related. But htey got into UC Davis School of Medicine. :)

I have similar plans next year, and I don't think it's goofing off at all. I plan on working possibly 40 hours a week in research, and 10 hours of community/clinical experience a week. Coupled with 30+ secondaries and hopefully at least a dozen interviews, and I think I'll be working my butt off harder than I ever did in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
this one caught my eye b/c that's exactly what i did. i decided end of my jr. year to not apply just yet and take one year off after graduating- wanted time to "make sure" medicine was the right choice. honestly, best thing i could've done- for me, anyway. i've been teaching for the last 7.5 months- as tough as it's been, i've grown up- a lot. i saved money (lived with the parents- eek! if you can pull it off, it's a great way to put some cash away but it is also VERY tough to do... you're just so used to freedom). but more importantly, i figured out medicine was the right choice. and, although i graduated burnt out (hey- aren't we all at some point :laugh: ), i absolutely can't wait to get started again. in other words, if this is your decision- it is absolutely a positive thing... and i would place emphasis on that when you do apply to schools. it's worked for plenty of people (including myself)- so ENJOY and best of :luck:

Dr. Giggles said:
I have similar plans next year, and I don't think it's goofing off at all. I plan on working possibly 40 hours a week in research, and 10 hours of community/clinical experience a week. Coupled with 30+ secondaries and hopefully at least a dozen interviews, and I think I'll be working my butt off harder than I ever did in college.
This is exactly what I did and it was an excellent choice. Just make sure that wherever you are working will be understanding and grant you the time to go on interviews since for some of them you may actually miss 3 days at a time (1 to get there, interview day, and 1 day to get back--some cities have terrible flight schedules!) I was able to make up some hours by working later on the days I was on the job and I also put in a few Saturdays. This worked out fine for both me and my PI. The best thing you can do whenever possible is to schedule Friday or Monday interviews if the schools are far from your home base. I'm sure things will work out great for you.

i'm doing that...looking forward to it actually. If I had only known, I'd have saved my money from this last cycle & use it for next cycle. My app is pretty solid except clinical experience & maybe MCAT, but i've got that sorted out now & so next year i'm just gonna make money and then, SPEND IT ALL trying to get in, not, maybe some, but the rest toward collecting stuff i'll need if/when i get in, & traveling

have fun

Thanks all for your replies! Good luck to all of you in your next cycle (and me too)! :)

If you are from the midwest, I am starting school in the fall and my dept is looking for someone to take my research job. It is an awesome job, so let me know...

WAIT... I had been advised that taking a year off after undergrad would be an EXTREMELY bad idea since Med schools require that u have taken ur pre-med requisites within last 5 yrs of applying so like if u have taken some bio or chem courses ur freshmen yr and u graduate in 4 yrs, then u have one shot or application cycle to get into med school cuz after that u'll have to take those pre-med courses again to apply, wasting a lot of ur time and money. Is their any truth to that???? Can someone plz explain to me how that really works?

tikiman said:
WAIT... I had been advised that taking a year off after undergrad would be an EXTREMELY bad idea since Med schools require that u have taken ur pre-med requisites within last 5 yrs of applying so like if u have taken some bio or chem courses ur freshmen yr and u graduate in 4 yrs, then u have one shot or application cycle to get into med school cuz after that u'll have to take those pre-med courses again to apply, wasting a lot of ur time and money. Is their any truth to that???? Can someone plz explain to me how that really works?

I haven't heard that. I took two years off, and had absolutely no problems using the courses I took 6 years ago at top-tier schools. I think they are instead worried about taking 5 years out after school ends. One or two years should not be an issue at all.

tikiman said:

I'm pretty sure you are getting bad advice...I know several people who did stuff like the peace corps (2 year commitment), Gates-Cambridge, Rotary scholarships before applying and they were fine. I know schools are big on the MCAT within the previous three years, but for the life of me I've never heard something about coursework being out dated.

p00psickle -- I took this last year off from school, following graduation.
Benefits I saw were that I had time away from academia to recharge and refocus efforts (I felt a little burned out after 4 years high school followed immediately by 4 years undergrad). I also strengthened my app with paid employment and volunteering in the health field. It also opened up time to complete AMCAS and AACOMAS, several secondary applications and travel to and from several interviews. I simply rearranged my work schedule instead of having to miss class, reschedule exams, etc.
Finally, it allowed me a year to pursue personal interests, like traveling and athletics. I realize that for the next 8 (or more) years I'll be pretty busy.
As far as negatives, at none of my interviews was this year off seen as a bad thing. I presented it as it was: time for personal growth and reflection.
Even if you did nothing but "goof off" that could still be a positive, you could explain it as a "mental health year" before the insanity of medical school.
Also, at all interviews it seemed like anywhere from 1/3 to more than 1/2 of my co-interviewees had graduated a year or two prior, and were either working, volunteering or doing research; you won't be the only one.
//my $0.02

Karl_Hungus said:
p00psickle -- I took this last year off from school, following graduation.
Benefits I saw were that I had time away from academia to recharge and refocus efforts (I felt a little burned out after 4 years high school followed immediately by 4 years undergrad). I also strengthened my app with paid employment and volunteering in the health field. It also opened up time to complete AMCAS and AACOMAS, several secondary applications and travel to and from several interviews. I simply rearranged my work schedule instead of having to miss class, reschedule exams, etc.
Finally, it allowed me a year to pursue personal interests, like traveling and athletics. I realize that for the next 8 (or more) years I'll be pretty busy.
As far as negatives, at none of my interviews was this year off seen as a bad thing. I presented it as it was: time for personal growth and reflection.
Even if you did nothing but "goof off" that could still be a positive, you could explain it as a "mental health year" before the insanity of medical school.
Also, at all interviews it seemed like anywhere from 1/3 to more than 1/2 of my co-interviewees had graduated a year or two prior, and were either working, volunteering or doing research; you won't be the only one.
//my $0.02

8 yrs.... can't u take a break between med school and residency???

I took a year off. It was probably the best decision of my life. And I'll have you know, I've made a lot of good ****in decisions.

Advantages:
- You get to relax for a year...no HW, no exams
- You can get a job in industry to expand your knowledge outside the realm of academia
- You gain a lot of maturity by being out and getting a taste of the "real world"
- Cash-money (applying to med school won't bust the bank; you can buy all the toys you never could in ugrad)
- Have some great times with your friends before you all split up and get on with your own separate careers

Disadvantages:

- You lose one extra year at the end of your career. Honestly, who the hell is gonna notice that when you're 65?

Tikiman I know you can if you want to do a fellowship or the like, but that's hardly a "year off"
As far as a true year off, I would suppose one could, but I plan to go right through to get it over with and get back into the working world.
Your status has implications on repayment of student loans, etc. If you stay a student or become a resident, you can continue to defer payment on most student loans, whereas if you were simply taking a year off, you'd have to apply for deferment, and may have to enter repayment.
So...I took my year off between undergrad and medical school.

Good lord. I took 5 years off. I applied after 3 and didn't get in. I applied after 5 and got in. I didn't have any problems with my requirements or the time lapse between my application and my courses. Of course, it did mean taking the MCAT again. But I actually scored 1 pt higher the second time around (after being out of UG for 3 years).

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Taking time off is totally the way to go. I had some of the best times of my life during those years. And it wasn't spent in the library with my nose in a book. Now I feel that I am ready to buckle down and do just that. I got it out of my system.

Finally, and take this or leave it, but consider doing something else other than research. 1 year isn't a whole lot to learn much/do much damage. I'm sure there will be folks on here who will argue with me, "yes it is, I got a publication, blah blah blah" which is all well and good. But don't just do reearch to strengthen your application. A lot of applicants seem to do that, without really giving a damn about the project. I burned out just as quickly (if not quicker) in research as I did in UG.

Do research because you love the project, or because you want to learn a particular technique, or because you love being overworked and underpaid/underappreciated. If I had it all to do over again, I would've quit my research job much sooner and gone into biotech or consulting. (Or I would've been a ski bum for longer than 3 months.) Most of my friends who went into that line of work now own nice condos in downtown DC, and have plenty of free time and travel money.

But definitely take 1 or 2 (or more) years to do something you've always wanted to do. Preferably unrelated to medicine. There's always time for hospital volunteering/shadowing during the weeknights or weekends.

Of course, you're pre-med, so you'll end up doing research anyway, despite my warning. But, believe me, you'll kick yourself in a year for not doing something more lucrative, or random, or new.

LadyWolverine said:
Good lord. I took 5 years off. I applied after 3 and didn't get in. I applied after 5 and got in. I didn't have any problems with my requirements or the time lapse between my application and my courses. Of course, it did mean taking the MCAT again. But I actually scored 1 pt higher the second time around (after being out of UG for 3 years).

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Taking time off is totally the way to go. I had some of the best times of my life during those years. And it wasn't spent in the library with my nose in a book. Now I feel that I am ready to buckle down and do just that. I got it out of my system.

Finally, and take this or leave it, but consider doing something else other than research. 1 year isn't a whole lot to learn much/do much damage. I'm sure there will be folks on here who will argue with me, "yes it is, I got a publication, blah blah blah" which is all well and good. But don't just do reearch to strengthen your application. A lot of applicants seem to do that, without really giving a damn about the project. I burned out just as quickly (if not quicker) in research as I did in UG.

Do research because you love the project, or because you want to learn a particular technique, or because you love being overworked and underpaid/underappreciated. If I had it all to do over again, I would've quit my research job much sooner and gone into biotech or consulting. (Or I would've been a ski bum for longer than 3 months.) Most of my friends who went into that line of work now own nice condos in downtown DC, and have plenty of free time and travel money.

But definitely take 1 or 2 (or more) years to do something you've always wanted to do. Preferably unrelated to medicine. There's always time for hospital volunteering/shadowing during the weeknights or weekends.

Of course, you're pre-med, so you'll end up doing research anyway, despite my warning. But, believe me, you'll kick yourself in a year for not doing something more lucrative, or random, or new.

ditto - i had a job in a field unrelated to medicine. it actually seldom came up at interviews, when it did was a fun/different topic. honestly we all love medicine, but it was great not to live/breathe/sleep it for just this one year, before diving into the rest of my career.

Another question for you all who took a year off:

It seems like people who took a year off liked it because they were able to recharge/rejuvenate themselves after taking a year off. But I'm wondering how they cope with working 40hr+ jobs (M-F, 9-5) + volunteering? That seems like more work to me than going to school I'm kinda worried (overworking myself to death). So maybe just get a part-time job...?

And about getting jobs, I'm really torn between getting a research job so I can put my degree to some use, or working in the food industry which is something I've always been interested in. While research job has stable hours with good working environment, it's BORING and I've already done lots of research as undergrad. Working in the food industry will allow me to explorer a new field I've always liked (who doesn't like FOOD?), but it has really bad hours (no Friday/Saturday nights) and it'll be less flexible (harder to schedule interviews/volunteering). From your past experience, what would you recommend - working in the health field, or something new?

Thanks!

p00psicleSTICK said:
Another question for you all who took a year off:

It seems like people who took a year off liked it because they were able to recharge/rejuvenate themselves after taking a year off. But I'm wondering how they cope with working 40hr+ jobs (M-F, 9-5) + volunteering? That seems like more work to me than going to school I'm kinda worried (overworking myself to death). So maybe just get a part-time job...?

I think you'll find that you have enough time. I am always amazed by the feeling I get when I get home at night -- it's still pretty early, and I have no homework or studying to do. I can read a book, cook myself dinner, watch TV. Plenty of free-time.

See if you can find volunteer opportunities at night -- a friend of mine does evening shifts at the ER.

A part-time job is also an option. I don't think it's necessary though. I think the main thing is to just make sure up front that your job is flexible -- make sure they will be ok with you taking 10+ days off for med school interviews, make sure they will be ok if you need to go on 2nd looks, etc. See also if they'd be ok with you taking time off during the day -- that could free up the time you need for volunteering.

p00psicleSTICK said:
And about getting jobs, I'm really torn between getting a research job so I can put my degree to some use, or working in the food industry which is something I've always been interested in. While research job has stable hours with good working environment, it's BORING and I've already done lots of research as undergrad. Working in the food industry will allow me to explorer a new field I've always liked (who doesn't like FOOD?), but it has really bad hours (no Friday/Saturday nights) and it'll be less flexible (harder to schedule interviews/volunteering). From your past experience, what would you recommend - working in the health field, or something new?

Thanks!

You know, if you really want to get a restaurant job, you should do it. If you've done research, and it isn't your thing, then don't be afraid to do something else. You've already got that box checked off on your application, and you know it's not for you -- that's fine. It's ok to do something not directly med school related. You're not going to be penalized for it, and it may end up being something cool for you to talk about in your interviews.