Advice on undergrad math/other classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MustyElbow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I am taking MATH 115 at my school this semester (equates to precalc). This is what I tested into with my placement test I had to take this summer (I am a freshman). Now I also have a stats credit from the AP course in high school. Would this precalc and stats credit be sufficient for most osteopathic schools? Or would I need to/be better off taking calculus? In addition, I am an anthropology major with Spanish minor, so I will be taking my science classes separate than my major classes, which will give me not as much leeway in taking other classes, as I will be taking a greater number of classes to complete prereqs compared to a biology major for example. For this reason, I need to figure out if I should try to fit calculus in my schedule next semester. I'm already going to try to knock out a bio and chem and I have a tentative schedule set, but if I need to do calculus as well I may have to rearrange.

Side question: A bio and a chem at the same time wouldn't be too bad by any means, correct?

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need calculus for most medical schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so I am taking MATH 115 at my school this semester (equates to precalc). This is what I tested into with my placement test I had to take this summer (I am a freshman). Now I also have a stats credit from the AP course in high school. Would this precalc and stats credit be sufficient for most osteopathic schools? Or would I need to/be better off taking calculus? In addition, I am an anthropology major with Spanish minor, so I will be taking my science classes separate than my major classes, which will give me not as much leeway in taking other classes, as I will be taking a greater number of classes to complete prereqs compared to a biology major for example. For this reason, I need to figure out if I should try to fit calculus in my schedule next semester. I'm already going to try to knock out a bio and chem and I have a tentative schedule set, but if I need to do calculus as well I may have to rearrange.

Side question: A bio and a chem at the same time wouldn't be too bad by any means, correct?

Don't need calculus for all med schools. Some few DO schools and slightly more MD schools require it. Its not even counted in sgpa for osteopathic. Check the schools you want to apply to. Some take AP, some don't, some don't even have a math requirement, some want calculus. General biology and general chemistry are some of the easiest science classes you'll take. Make sure you can focus on them and learn well though. You'll need some gen chem for organic chem and all three are on the MCAT; learn them well now so you don't have as much review to do later.

You don't need Math for medical school, trust me there is no math in medical school, but that doesn't mean the material is easy.

You don't need Math for medical school, trust me there is no math in medical school, but that doesn't mean the material is easy.

So when I'm a med student I'll be too important to need to know the fundamental mathematical laws that govern everything in existence???

cartman-sweet-rascal1.gif

For MD you need 2 semesters of Calc.

For DO you need nada. Nothing. Zilch. Zero.

(I "believe" so... just incase I'm wrong).

This is a few years old:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~nss/nav/pages/advice/MedSchlMathReq08rev.pdf

As for DO, I think there may be a handful that require 1 statistics/calculus/or just college math class.
I'm 95% sure you need to take calculus anyway in order to take physics though.

Having received C's in all 4 calculus classes I've taken, this is a huge relief.