advice on USMLE step1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dragonfly89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year medical student in Cairo and I am thinking about taking my USMLE step 1 in the summer before 4th year. I'd like advice on the advantages/disadvantages of taking it now as opposed to taking it after graduation (with step2 and 3).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi dragonfly89, there's a forum dedicated to USMLE questions, you could take a look at it, you might find that someone has asked a question similar to yours in the past.

Happy hunting :)

Briefly,

Advantages:
1. You might be able to apply for residencies in the same year of your graduation specially if you graduate in summer.
2. Expands your list of hospitals for electives since some require Step 1, namely Mayo, Clevland, Mount Siani, UTH..etc.

Disadvantages:
1. Almost every clinical rotation helps you with Step 1. So, I don't advise you take it before passing IM, Surgery and Peds rotations at least.
2. You'll be most likely studying while you do your clinical rotations so it's going to be hard but of course doable.

Members don't see this ad :)
im a 5th year student in cairo and took step 1 last year..its doable, but there will be lot of clinical issues that u've never heard about...good luck to you bro!!

im a 5th year student in cairo and took step 1 last year..its doable, but there will be lot of clinical issues that u've never heard about...good luck to you bro!!

Alot of the USMLE questions are application-type questions. You'd study for the USMLE questions using the textbooks prescribed for the US American Textbooks.

Don't forget that alot of it has to do with regional training too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the oriental world, there's alot of the emphasis is on infections. In the occidental world, however, alot of emphasis on obesity, other forms of IM, etc.

-Maya

Don't forget that alot of it has to do with regional training too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the oriental world, there's alot of the emphasis is on infections. In the occidental world, however, alot of emphasis on obesity, other forms of IM, etc.

-Maya

Just to add...In Cairo, there will be lot of emphasis on starvation LOL:D

You're right, but you'll be learning what the high yield points are for them.

Just to add...In Cairo, there will be lot of emphasis on starvation LOL:D

You're right, but you'll be learning what the high yield points are for them.

Lol. There we go.. Malnutrition and the entire shabang! :)