Advice on vet school pre requisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blink0809

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So long story short, I am attending Cornell University as an undergraduate. I came in pre-vet but dropped it because I was having a lot of difficulty with chemistry.
Now I'm a rising junior, and general chemistry 1 and statistics are basically the only pre-vet pre-req classes I've taken. Since dropping the pre-vet track, I haven't been able to figure out what I want to do with my life in terms of a career. I think I made a mistake in dropping pre-vet and may like to pick it back up again. My only concern is how much time and experience I've lost before vet school. I still need to take a second semester of chemistry, plus orgo, physics, microbio, etc.

I know I can't finish those before I finish undergrad. Is there a post-bacc program I could do after undergrad and before vet school? Is there a masters program where I could fulfill the pre-vet requirements? I also really don't want to tank my undergrad GPA. It's at a 3.7 right now. I really want to do well in the pre-vet science classes, but chemistry was so bad for me that I'm afraid I won't be able to. Especially since my lack of confidence in my ability to get good science grades caused me to drop pre-vet.

Any advice?? Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
theoretically you could fit the remaining pre-reqs into your last 2 years (unclear if you are going to be starting your junior or sophomore year in the fall), but if you dont think thats feasible you can just take the remaining pre-reqs as a non degree seeking student and whatever (cheapest) local university is close to you

Reactions: 1 users
theoretically you could fit the remaining pre-reqs into your last 2 years (unclear if you are going to be starting your junior or sophomore year in the fall), but if you dont think thats feasible you can just take the remaining pre-reqs as a non degree seeking student and whatever (cheapest) local university is close to you
Yeah, just the issue is that most if not all of the pre-reqs require both semesters of chemistry, and I've only taken one. And general chemistry 2 is only offered in the spring, so I'm kind of stuck

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, just the issue is that most if not all of the pre-reqs require both semesters of chemistry, and I've only taken one. And general chemistry 2 is only offered in the spring, so I'm kind of stuck

you could take gen chem 2 over the summer and/or at a community college near you in the fall

So long story short, I am attending Cornell University as an undergraduate. I came in pre-vet but dropped it because I was having a lot of difficulty with chemistry.
Now I'm a sophomore, and general chemistry 1 and statistics are basically the only pre-vet pre-req classes I've taken. Since dropping the pre-vet track, I haven't been able to figure out what I want to do with my life in terms of a career. I think I made a mistake in dropping pre-vet and may like to pick it back up again. My only concern is how much time and experience I've lost before vet school. I still need to take a second semester of chemistry, plus orgo, physics, microbio, etc.

I know I can't finish those before I finish undergrad. Is there a post-bacc program I could do after undergrad and before vet school? Is there a masters program where I could fulfill the pre-vet requirements? I also really don't want to tank my undergrad GPA. It's at a 3.7 right now. I really want to do well in the pre-vet science classes, but chemistry was so bad for me that I'm afraid I won't be able to. Especially since my lack of confidence in my ability to get good science grades caused me to drop pre-vet.

Any advice?? Thank you so much.

When you say chem 1 was bad, what kind of bad are we talking? A B? A C? One such grade isn't a vet med career killer. With a 3.7 starting your sophomore year, you're in good shape. Do you know why you struggled with chem?

When you say chem 1 was bad, what kind of bad are we talking? A B? A C? One such grade isn't a vet med career killer. With a 3.7 starting your sophomore year, you're in good shape. Do you know why you struggled with chem?
I got a C. I don't really know why I struggled so much, but I just wasn't grasping the concepts well, which makes me worried for gen chem 2 and orgo especially.
Oops sorry, I will be a junior in the fall. So I'd need to fit every vet pre-req into 4 semesters.

I got a C. I don't really know why I struggled so much, but I just wasn't grasping the concepts well, which makes me worried for gen chem 2 and orgo especially.
Oops sorry, I will be a junior in the fall. So I'd need to fit every vet pre-req into 4 semesters.
I got C's in both of my gen chem classes and managed to do very well in Ochem and Biochem. In my experience, neither Ochem nor biochem relied too much on general chemistry. It could vary at different universities, but the class averages in ochem and biochem are much higher than those in gen chem at my school.

Reactions: 1 user
I just graduated from Cornell as a pre-vet student. From my experience, people who struggled in gen chem seemed to have done better in orgo and vice versa (I was the other way around... loved gen chem and tanked orgo lol). Also, I personally felt that gen chem 2 was slightly easier than gen chem 1. An idea could be that you take gen chem 2 this spring at Cornell, and then take orgo over the summer either at Cornell or another school. That way you can try to get biochem and physics done your senior year. If you have any questions about being pre-vet at Cornell, feel free to shoot me a message!

Well, you aren't done with your degree until you take all the classes to be done. If you happen to prioritize some other classes for some reason, and hold off on the last one or two requirements for your degree... would that not prolong things and give more time? Maybe that's not how it works, but just a thought.