Advice on what to do the remainder of the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedical2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going to be a college junior this fall (3.8 gpa), and have not been able to acquire research this summer. I have shadowed a doctor for a little while this summer, but I am not sure what I should do for the remainder of the summer as opportunities are already closed. I had an internship last summer. Any advice/help on what I should do would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

-Try a non-clinical volunteering opportunity that you're interested in (perhaps for the long-term).

-New hobby

-Vacation/road trip/relaxing

-MCAT study

-More shadowing?

Thanks for the quick response. Would it hurt me in the long run (applying to med school) if I just relaxed/vacationed the rest of the summer? I am just wondering if I need to do something science/medical related.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I keep shadowing, should I try to do something else medically related also?

Get some easy volunteering hours in. Volunteer at the food bank/clinics or call up your local church and see what they have to offer.

Thanks for the quick response. Would it hurt me in the long run (applying to med school) if I just relaxed/vacationed the rest of the summer? I am just wondering if I need to do something science/medical related.

This seems nice, but from what I can remember of those kinds of summers -- it's actually really boring, plus you have no money to do cool things if you don't have a job. I mean, if you got a sugar daddy/mommy that takes care of you, then maybe this would work :) It's probably too late to arrange anything science or medically related, to be honest. Maybe you can do other kinds of volunteering? Keeps you busy, gives you some purpose in your life, and gives you contrast between free time and work time so that you can appreciate your summer more.

It's up to you. Do you have any hands-on medical experience? What did you do during your internship?

I had hands on experience in the office with the doctor, using the equipment, as well as experience with their electronic records system.

This seems nice, but from what I can remember of those kinds of summers -- it's actually really boring, plus you have no money to do cool things if you don't have a job. I mean, if you got a sugar daddy/mommy that takes care of you, then maybe this would work :) It's probably too late to arrange anything science or medically related, to be honest. Maybe you can do other kinds of volunteering? Keeps you busy, gives you some purpose in your life, and gives you contrast between free time and work time so that you can appreciate your summer more.

fair point, but if 2012 wants to chill for the last six weeks of the summer, (s)he should do so. it's not like premeds don't need downtime, especially this time of year. it makes those gorgeous autumn days spent in the library that much more bearable. besides, opportunities for volunteering might be limited at this point.

OP, to avoid having nothing to do and no money to spend, i'd suggest getting a job. AdComs always respect employment, even if it's at the fishfry shack on the corner.

fair point, but if 2012 wants to chill for the last six weeks of the summer, (s)he should do so. it's not like premeds don't need downtime, especially this time of year. it makes those gorgeous autumn days spent in the library that much more bearable. besides, opportunities for volunteering might be limited at this point.

OP, to avoid having nothing to do and no money to spend, i'd suggest getting a job. AdComs always respect employment, even if it's at the fishfry shack on the corner.

Yeah I am a strong believer in relaxation. I hope I don't flunk out of medical school because I need to have a balanced life :) I guess I thought even if s/he wanted to spend the rest of the summer relaxing, it might be nice to spend one day a week volunteering. I'd be surprised if s/he were able to find a job though in this economy. Maybe with the right connections. I just quit my last job and this is week 6 of my job search, still no dice.