Should I be proud of getting accepted into a DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Bones123

Reaction score
The title says it all tbh

Trust me I’m more than grateful and so honored and blessed to sit on a couple of DO acceptances, but does it carry the same “pride“ as an MD bc I don’t have any acceptances from MD. I personally believe that getting an acceptance is something to be very proud about, I just have like mixed feelings bc of what other people see/view…which is not good

I think all the dental students posting acceptances on their social media is also getting to me as well, like is getting into a DO school “post worthy”

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
You should be proud of getting into ANY medical school. It's hard enough to get the stats to receive an interview, let alone an acceptance. If you don't feel proud, ask yourself if becoming a DO is something you really want or if you are letting other people's biases dictate your decision. A doctor is a doctor, whether it's MD or DO! If it helps, I am proud of you!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
You should be proud of getting into ANY medical school. It's hard enough to get the stats to receive an interview, let alone an acceptance. If you don't feel proud, ask yourself if becoming a DO is something you really want or if you are letting other people's biases dictate your decision. A doctor is a doctor, whether it's MD or DO! If it helps, I am proud of you!
I appreciate you, thanks alot

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are not proud, please drop your DO acceptance for someone else waiting to live their dreams of being a physician.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

Trust me I’m more than grateful and so honored and blessed to sit on a couple of DO acceptances, but does it carry the same “pride“ as an MD bc I don’t have any acceptances from MD. I personally believe that getting an acceptance is something to be very proud about, I just have like mixed feelings bc of what other people see/view…which is not good

I think all the dental students posting acceptances on their social media is also getting to me as well, like is getting into a DO school “post worthy”
first off getting accepted to med school regardless of DO/MD is a huge accomplishment. I had a similar problem seeing friends/ classmates getting into MD schools but then came to the realization that it doesn't really matter. 99% of your Facebook friends have no idea what a DO/MD difference is. In the end, if you don't get into an MD school it is okay you will still be a physician.

Reactions: 3 users
If you are not proud, please drop your DO acceptance for someone else waiting to live their dreams of being a physician.
I respect this post the most...even though it was a jab to the stomach lol, but you are right though, I just wasn't realizing how amazing this is bc my parents didn't seem impressed by it at all and I just see people posting all different stuff online, so that's why I never thought of it as something big, but I was still always grateful of this amazing opportunity

Yeah screw anybody and their opinions lol, I'm so happy and grateful

Reactions: 6 users
Proud of you, Dr.Bones123; I can't wait to see you become a phenomenal physician! Go class of 2026

• Care
I respect this post the most...even though it was a jab to the stomach lol, but you are right though, I just wasn't realizing how amazing this is bc my parents didn't seem impressed by it at all and I just see people posting all different stuff online, so that's why I never thought of it as something big, but I was still always grateful of this amazing opportunity

Are your parents physicians?

To be honest I was in your shoes too in the beginning. Then I began to really think about it and I realized after you become a physician, it’s just a job, regardless of MD or DO. I see so many docs who have MD behind their name only to find out that they finished school in the Caribbean. FWIW my brother finished a Caribbean med school and is now in residency, and literally no one cares about your letters or where you went. He even mentions how he prefers working with DO residents cause the US MD residents he comes across are socially awkward / nerdier. Now obviously that’s not all MD students but that’s just an n=1 perspective.

As for all the premeds online talking down about DOs, you gotta understand that some of these premeds only have medicine in their life. They’ve never been to a party in college, never had a hookup, never had close groups of friends in recent years that they got drunk/high with so maybe ALL THEY HAVE LEFT is that feeling that they will have an MD after their name after they finish med school.

So as mentioned before, I also was in your shoes. But once I realized I had a pretty kickass college experience, currently have a beautiful girlfriend (soon to be fiancé), and awesome hobbies that I love to do on a daily basis apart from medicine, I really just stopped caring. Remember in the end when you’re a resident and attending ALL doctors will view you as an equal. This is a long hard journey for students at Harvard Med School or at PCOM and every physician respects one another because they know the grind we all have to go through.

Dude, you’re gonna be a doctor and you will literally be the sole reason someone has their life saved one day. You will care for the weak, old, and frail throughout your career. People will trust you with information that they wouldn’t even disclose to their own family some of the time. Idk about you but that’s one of the most beautiful things about this profession for me.

As for the naive premeds who hate on DOs, they will get that entitlement and smarkiness pounded out of them throughout med school. And if they don’t they’re gonna have a hard time adjusting and no one is gonna find them to be a pleasant colleague.

Be proud, future doc :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
To be honest I was in your shoes too in the beginning. Then I began to really think about it and I realized after you become a physician, it’s just a job, regardless of MD or DO. I see so many docs who have MD behind their name only to find out that they finished school in the Caribbean. FWIW my brother finished a Caribbean med school and is now in residency, and literally no one cares about your letters or where you went. He even mentions how he prefers working with DO residents cause the US MD residents he comes across are socially awkward / nerdier. Now obviously that’s not all MD students but that’s just an n=1 perspective.

As for all the premeds online talking down about DOs, you gotta understand that some of these premeds only have medicine in their life. They’ve never been to a party in college, never had a hookup, never had close groups of friends in recent years that they got drunk/high with so maybe ALL THEY HAVE LEFT is that feeling that they will have an MD after their name after they finish med school.

So as mentioned before, I also was in your shoes. But once I realized I had a pretty kickass college experience, currently have a beautiful girlfriend (soon to be fiancé), and awesome hobbies that I love to do on a daily basis apart from medicine, I really just stopped caring. Remember in the end when you’re a resident and attending ALL doctors will view you as an equal. This is a long hard journey for students at Harvard Med School or at PCOM and every physician respects one another because they know the grind we all have to go through.

Dude, you’re gonna be a doctor and you will literally be the sole reason someone has their life saved one day. You will care for the weak, old, and frail throughout your career. People will trust you with information that they wouldn’t even disclose to their own family some of the time. Idk about you but that’s one of the most beautiful things about this profession for me.

As for the naive premeds who hate on DOs, they will get that entitlement and smarkiness pounded out of them throughout med school. And if they don’t they’re gonna have a hard time adjusting and no one is gonna find them to be a pleasant colleague.

Be proud, future doc :)
you gonna make a grown man cry goddamn HAHAHHAHA

I have deleted some posts and I need to remind you all of the Terms of Service to be kind to other members and avoid personal attacks.
I think the thread has served its purpose for the OP.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Im a DO attending. I make the same as any MD would. And I scored around 84th percentile on my specialty boards which lumps in DOs and MDs.

DO is a doctor and equivalent to an MD. Most patients couldnt even tell you the difference. The prestige doesnt matter, what matters is the end result.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Remember that getting into any medical school automatically puts you in the top 1-10% of undergraduate students depending on what resource you use. The issue is that everyone in medical school is at that level, and you are no longer being compared to the other 90-99%. It is a very big accomplishment to get in, but remember that the battle/journey is really just starting at entrance. Keep your head down, do the work, and you can have an amazing career/life!

Reactions: 5 users
Don't do things because you want to earn someone else's approval or avoid their scorn. It's trite but satisfaction comes from you. If you're looking for everyone else to approve, you're going to be looking forever. Listen to yourself first and keep a panel of people you trust for second opinions.

Drop your acceptance now if you're just doing this because you think it will earn you esteem. First of all, it won't really and second it's way too hard to slog through 7 years of school and residency if your motivation is not intrinsic.

If this is you and this is what you want to do, own it and decide to be proud. Don't look to anyone else to tell you what to think of yourself.

I have deleted some posts and I need to remind you all of the Terms of Service to be kind to other members and avoid personal attacks.
I think the thread has served its purpose for the OP.
Dr. Bones123 I totally understand the thinking, its hard when people around you aren't excited for your accomplishment because they don't understand what it really means. I actually struggled with the same thing and then after meeting with DO's and working at a DO school I realized how amazing they are and how MD's and DO's both do incredible work. I'm super honored to have had a couple DO interviews this cycle and I hope to get join other physicians, whether MD or DO, in this wonderful career. As many have already said, at the end of the day your dream will be met regardless of the initials after your last name. I hit reply on wysdoc's post because I think the signature at the end of their reply serves well here. Best of luck to you on your journey!

I'm choosing a DO school because it fits my life circumstances better. The major differences are you learn OMM and take comlex but can still take step. The top residencies are harder to get but if you would have been competitive enough as an MD you'll make it as a DO. The core education is the exact same and when you're an attending you'll be paid the same. If any of the schools you got into are state DO schools go there!

You need to work on your self-esteem and really re-consider if you want to be a DO or not. It's not too late to hold back, work on your application and apply MD. If your buddies are going to scoff at you becoming a DO, they are garbage people (age will teach you this). Personally, I'd be proud of even getting my GED if those were my circumstances

• Love

Just want to say it takes a big person to recognize when they're out of line. A lot of respect - you'll make a great doctor.

DO intern here. Literally no one cares after the match.

You applied to med school with the goal of being a doctor. You’ll be a doctor when you graduate. So what’s the problem? Premeds on Reddit?

If you are derm/surgical sub or bust, or plan on practicing at a top tier institution; then you should probably reapply. Otherwise, it’s nbd.

DO intern here. Literally no one cares after the match.

You applied to med school with the goal of being a doctor. You’ll be a doctor when you graduate. So what’s the problem? Premeds on Reddit?

If you are derm/surgical sub or bust, or plan on practicing at a top tier institution; then you should probably reapply. Otherwise, it’s nbd.
I saw some derm matches from the DO school I'm about to go to

I saw some derm matches from the DO school I'm about to go to
Yes and my school had a MD university neurosurgery match. A search of these fora will reveal why those anecdata are unimportant and why it’s better to go MD if you won’t be satisfied doing anything else.

I won’t derail this into a DO v MD thread and will speak no further on the subject.

Congrats OP!

Reactions: 1 users
If you work hard and shine at a DO school you will achieve your goals. Not saying USMD isn't a better option but it's way overblown on this thread imo. If you go to an MD school and fail a year or at the bottom of your class your unlikely to match derm, neurosurgery, ent etc, you will have trouble even with anesthesia and rads nowadays. If you go to DO school and do well without any issues, you will match the speciality your going for/are competitive for. maybe not at a top 20 program but there will be many prorgams who will give you a fair look. Fortunately there are still former aoa programs in Uber competitive specialties, which also helps for that. But over the past few years I have seen more and more exciting MD matches across all specialties from DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Late reply but... simply put: There's a reason they accept both MDs and DOs into the same residencies: it doesn't matter what letters come after your name once you graduate. Either way, you're a doctor accredited by US organizations. If you didn't want to be a DO, you wouldn't have applied. Take the A, be happy, and kill it in med school. Good luck!

When you're a DO, and those same people to whom you're referring are all-in on MD and don't get in, laugh yourself all the way to the bank and tell me if you're still upset about being a DO at that point.

At the end of the day, it's just a job, and it's just a set of initials.

You will do the same thing as your MD counterparts.

The title "Doctor" doesn't differentiate. Nor does being listed as a physician.

If you put your self-worth in a set of initials, look into another career.

Everyone needs to stop caring so much about a historical difference in philosophy.

That said, I'm completely happy with what I am and what I do. My initials never come up for anything whatsoever.

So yes, be proud because it is competitive. FWIW, I know of multiple people who were accepted to MD and NOT DO as some programs look for personal attributes too beyond 'simply' grades.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users