ADVICE!!! Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annakei

Therapist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bad News: My application for the MA Psychology program was REJECTED :( . I was offered the part time job I spoke about BUT now I will have to decline since I will no longer going to be taking classes in the days.

Good News:
I know that I can take classes at the local community college to get the required/recommended classes, I think someone mentioned this in my original ADVICE post. Is anyone doing this? HAs anyone done this to fill the requirement? Does it have to be BA level courses? Furthermore this means I will have to really start studying for the GRE General and Subject because I am thinking about just taking these classes and then applying out this fall. CAn anyone recommend classes I should be taking?

I was accepted to 2 other Counseling programs but that will take 2 years to complete and I have no interest in being LPCed. I would only go there IF they had the clases one needs to qualify for a psych doctoral program.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I read through some of your previous posts, but I want to make sure I'm clear on the status of things - please correct me if I'm mistaken on anything. You're interested in eventually receiving a PsyD and were trying to enter a MA-program first but need to boost GRE scores and experience to be accepted? You have a BA in criminal justice and a minor in psychology. You're working with dually-diagnosed women (with histories of trauma, some with HIV). Sounds like you have some great relevant experience!

Is your line of questioning aimed at how to be accepted into a graduate psych program? If so, I would be curious about a couple of things:

1) Are you absolutely certain you want a doctoral-level degree in psychology? I feel sure you have weighed the options, but I always have to ask given the ridiculous amount of time and effort required, the financial investment and potential debt involved, and the (sometimes riduculous) payoff in the end. If you're just looking for a degree with more clinical autonomy (or need a backup plan), you could always consider licensed clinical social worker. They can do a lot clinically and can hold supervisory positions, same as doctoral-level psychologists in many cases. Stop me if you've already made up your mind :)

2) Do you have geographic constraints? That is, are you willing/able to move anywhere to pursue graduate training or are there some limitations on that? Do you have a particular PsyD program picked out (you don't have to name it specifically, just curious)? That could make a difference as to how you approach the problem.

I did take a class post-bac in an effort to get into grad school (and I had a BA in psych). I took it at a local 4-year college. It was a grad-level class. Not all grad-level classes are open to students who aren't enrolled in their grad program, but some are. I think taking a grad-level class is good because it shows how well you can do that level of work. I'd recommend that, if possible. But if you're just trying to build up exposure to psych classes, you could just take a bunch at a community college. Much cheaper and shows you're dedicated to furthering your education in psychology.

Let us know about the other issues mentioned above -- I'm sure I'll have some more long-winded feedback after that ;-)

psych101 said:
I read through some of your previous posts, but I want to make sure I'm clear on the status of things - please correct me if I'm mistaken on anything. You're interested in eventually receiving a PsyD and were trying to enter a MA-program first but need to boost GRE scores and experience to be accepted? You have a BA in criminal justice and a minor in psychology. You're working with dually-diagnosed women (with histories of trauma, some with HIV). Sounds like you have some great relevant experience!

Is your line of questioning aimed at how to be accepted into a graduate psych program? No, more like is it worth it to go into a Master's level Counseling program and THEN go for the PsyD down the road. Also, should I just take all required classes at the CC or should I just enroll in the MA program

1) Are you absolutely certain you want a doctoral-level degree in psychology? I am absolutely certain but getting frustrated with the requirements needed and how to get them. I am looking at Widener, MaryWood, Lasalle, PCOM and Hofstra. They are my top choices but I do have others in mind. I fully understand what a LPC and LICSW can do. MY supervisor is one but down the road I dont want doors closed to me because of limitations on Master's level practitioners.

2) Do you have geographic constraints? I do. The east coast is where I am willing to relocate. I am in the DC metro are and considering programs in NY, MD, DC, VA and PA.

I could just take some courses at the community college and then still apply, you are right. That is what I am battling against right now. Another issue is, if I dont start a matriculated degree program this semester my undergrad loans will become DUE and I cant afford to pay those back right now since they have been deferred since 2003. Taking classes at a local CC doesnt defer them.

Ive since decided to go ahead and start the MA Counseling program (takes 2-3 years to complete), complete the first year trying to get some pre reqs that route as well as defer my loans and STILL apply out next year while building relationships with professors and working on my GREs. Also, since the Counseling program does NOT have a statistics class, I will take that on the side at the local community college. Since this application process can be a crap shoot, if I dont get in ANYWHERE then I can always continue with the counseling program.

What do you think? What are the typical required courses one needs to apply to fulfill the required/recommended courses

I have to make a decision by tomorrow as classes at the CC start tomorrow and orientation for the MA program is on Tuesday and need to register for classes by Thursday. :))

ETA: These are the courses I can take at the CC this semester:

Research Methodology/Behavioral Sci

PSY 213 Statistics For Behavioral Sciences 3.00cr

PSY 216 Social Psychology 3.00cr

PSY 231 Life Span Human Development I 3.00cr

I already have: Abnormal Psychology (undergrad and graduate), Intro, Adult Development and Research Methods for Criminal Justice (wondering if this counts)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response, that helps. I really don't envy your decision -- I've been there and it sucks because there are so many unknown factors. Here are my thoughts, but bear in mind that I am less familiar with PsyD programs so perhaps others can comment on those specifically.

1) Entering a counseling program is good in that you would be working toward an advanced degree. I don't mean to imply you won't be successful at getting into a PsyD program, but it is never bad to have a backup plan - you never know what can happen in your life. Plus you get to defer your loans -- that's a big factor. I say go for it.

2) My experience has been that graduate courses taken in other fields are sometimes not transferable to doctoral psych programs. That is, you might find it difficult to have some courses you take in a counseling program "count" for credit toward a PsyD degree. I got my MA in clinical psych at a different school than my PhD institution, and there was a limitation on how many & which courses they would count for credit toward the PhD. I guess what I'm saying is be prepared to possibly start from square one when you enter a doctoral program, just in case nothing transfers. But I like your idea of looking ahead & trying to take generic prereqs during the first year of your program.

3) Which courses to take -- obviously it depends on the doctoral program you're looking at, which is frustrating. Some don't have any prereqs, or have very few, but other seem to want several basics at the undergrad level. If you can take them through your counseling program, consider developmental psych, any kind of research design (even though you had a criminal justice course, probably would be good to have another), and physiological psych or sensation/perception. Would be a good idea to take the stats course at the community college. Actually, all those courses that you listed thru the community college would be helpful, but I'd definitely take the stats one and/or research methodology.

4) Remember that application deadlines are early in the year (usually Jan thru March), so if you're planning to apply for the next round you'll only really have a semester to build your application. Pick classes most closely related to psychology (like those listed above), work on the GRE scores, try to get involved in a little researchm, volunteer somewhere to get different experience -- all of these ideas could help. I really think what helps more than anything is to have strong letters of recommendation & to take a personal approach to the application process. Really target the schools you're interested in. Contact specific professors, visit them, tailor your application to reflect why you'd be a good fit for those specific individuals (making sure that they are specifically taking on new students for the following year -- sometimes they aren't). Standing out or knowing somebody is often what gets you in. Look for any kind of back door into getting to know somebody at the school(s) you're interested in. Volunteer to help students at those programs with their research (students who are working with faculty you're interesting in working with). Take an undergrad class at the same institution (if possible) -- try to get into a class taught by one of the faculty members you're interested in working with.

4) Have you looked at Argosy in Arlington? I really don't care for the program (it's huge, it's expensive, etc.), but personal biases aside it seems to require minimal prereqs. What we're talking about is getting the degree you want, and if that's a way to accomplish the main goal, then it could be a possibility or a backup. Have a few schools that are just backups, a few that are ideal, and lots that are in the middle.

Good luck -- I really don't think there's a wrong choice here, so just do what's best for you as of right now. Sounds like the counseling program is a good choice for quite a few reasons. Keep us posted!

psych101 said:
Thanks for your response, that helps. I really don't envy your decision -- I've been there and it sucks because there are so many unknown factors. Here are my thoughts, but bear in mind that I am less familiar with PsyD programs so perhaps others can comment on those specifically.

1) Entering a counseling program is good in that you would be working toward an advanced degree. I don't mean to imply you won't be successful at getting into a PsyD program, but it is never bad to have a backup plan - you never know what can happen in your life. Plus you get to defer your loans -- that's a big factor. I say go for it.

2) My experience has been that graduate courses taken in other fields are sometimes not transferable to doctoral psych programs. That is, you might find it difficult to have some courses you take in a counseling program "count" for credit toward a PsyD degree. I got my MA in clinical psych at a different school than my PhD institution, and there was a limitation on how many & which courses they would count for credit toward the PhD. I guess what I'm saying is be prepared to possibly start from square one when you enter a doctoral program, just in case nothing transfers. But I like your idea of looking ahead & trying to take generic prereqs during the first year of your program.

3) Which courses to take -- obviously it depends on the doctoral program you're looking at, which is frustrating. Some don't have any prereqs, or have very few, but other seem to want several basics at the undergrad level. If you can take them through your counseling program, consider developmental psych, any kind of research design (even though you had a criminal justice course, probably would be good to have another), and physiological psych or sensation/perception. Would be a good idea to take the stats course at the community college. Actually, all those courses that you listed thru the community college would be helpful, but I'd definitely take the stats one and/or research methodology.

4) Remember that application deadlines are early in the year (usually Jan thru March), so if you're planning to apply for the next round you'll only really have a semester to build your application. Pick classes most closely related to psychology (like those listed above), work on the GRE scores, try to get involved in a little researchm, volunteer somewhere to get different experience -- all of these ideas could help. I really think what helps more than anything is to have strong letters of recommendation & to take a personal approach to the application process. Really target the schools you're interested in. Contact specific professors, visit them, tailor your application to reflect why you'd be a good fit for those specific individuals (making sure that they are specifically taking on new students for the following year -- sometimes they aren't). Standing out or knowing somebody is often what gets you in. Look for any kind of back door into getting to know somebody at the school(s) you're interested in. Volunteer to help students at those programs with their research (students who are working with faculty you're interesting in working with). Take an undergrad class at the same institution (if possible) -- try to get into a class taught by one of the faculty members you're interested in working with.

4) Have you looked at Argosy in Arlington? I really don't care for the program (it's huge, it's expensive, etc.), but personal biases aside it seems to require minimal prereqs. What we're talking about is getting the degree you want, and if that's a way to accomplish the main goal, then it could be a possibility or a backup. Have a few schools that are just backups, a few that are ideal, and lots that are in the middle.

Good luck -- I really don't think there's a wrong choice here, so just do what's best for you as of right now. Sounds like the counseling program is a good choice for quite a few reasons. Keep us posted!

Thanks for your detailed responses, here is what Ive decided to do so far. Its changed so much tonight that I hope I am making the right decision.

I have applied and enrolled at the local CC for Research Methods and Life Span Human Development. Statistics was full. I will aim to take that next semester

I will call the MA program and inquire about deferment until the summer session

Call my loan servicer and inquire about consolidation and then deferment

The last 2 will have to happen in order for me to go through with the CC option. If I cant defer both the MA and my loans then I won't go through with the CC option. There is alot to GAIn from the MA option so I wouldnt want to mess that up/nix it if I dont have to.

We will see. I will keep you updated.

Yes, it sounds like you've thought it through quite well -- bet you're exhausted! Sounds like you're making a good decision, honestly. You have your ultimate goal in focus & are trying to take the most direct route. I bet you'll be able to work something out with deferment (like maybe if you're enrolled at least half time, regardless of the what kind of classes you're taking? at least that's how my federal loans worked...). GOOD LUCK and do keep us posted!! Hang in there!