Advice please!! (regarding UF)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trancelucent1

Gator Girl :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, as some of you know I was accepted to UF's College of Pharmacy however I was accepted to my second choice campus (orlando). I wrote a petition letter and was denied (the admissions committee said that they didn't feel that my reasons were compelling enough). However, I made an appointment with the dean of student affairs (Dr. McKenzie). I am scheduled to see him and was just wondering any advice as to what would make my reasons more compelling. I have received a few messages from some of you that said he was really cool and would listen to me. I just want to make my reasons very compelling. This is serious enough for me to go a different school and I plan on telling him that. Anything else? Thanks guys!

~Pam

P.S. here's the letter I sent them

Dear Admissions Committee:

I am writing this letter to petition my randomization to the Orlando site for the University of Florida?s College of Pharmacy. I would like to be considered for the Gainesville campus. I was ecstatic to receive my conditional acceptance in February to the University of Florida?s College of Pharmacy. This was my number one choice and I was very excited to be a Gator. I had visited the Gainesville campus and fell in love with it immediately. I was very excited to be taking classes in the brand new pharmacy facility and the staff and students were extremely pleasant. When I first received my conditional acceptance, I believed that I was accepted to the Gainesville campus until I read about the randomization process. In September when I rated the campuses I believed that the Orlando campus site was in a college setting, and I thought that I was going to be attending lectures just as if I was in Gainesville. However, I have recently found out that this is not the case. I am extremely disappointed about the campus selection and do not feel that I can achieve my goals and dreams at this distance site.
There are a few important reasons, why I do not feel that I will flourish as a pharmacy student at the distance site. When I first ranked both the Orlando and Gainesville campuses, I had a place to live in both areas and knew that I would be financially stable. However, in recent months, I have found that I will not have a place to stay in Orlando. This is a huge financial burden for me to bear.
Also, I am a person who needs the classroom setting to learn better. I have taken classes that gave the option of watching the lectures online. I still went to class, however, because this is how I learn best. I sit up front and ask questions when I don?t understand something. I feel that by watching a movie, I will not be able to learn as well. I also enjoy the interaction of other students before and after class. I like being able to discuss what we just learned or talk about problems that I am having. I understand that the satellite campuses offer sessions like this, but I know that I am the type of person who has to be in the classroom and asking questions as we discuss a new topic, while it?s fresh in my mind.
Another reason why I feel that I will not excel in the Orlando campus is because I plan on being heavily involved in pharmacy organizations and student council. I worked throughout my years as an undergrad and made on conscious decision to be more involved in pharmacy school. I worked very hard to graduate early so that I could take a semester off in order to work and save money so that I would be able to be more involved in pharmacy school. I wanted to become an active member of Kappa Epsilon. However, the website states that it will be coming soon to distance campuses. I do not want to have to wait until my third year to become a member. I would also like to be an active part of the Univerisity of Florida?s APhA chapter. I feel that I will not be as involved if I am at a distance education site. I plan on doing a residency and was hoping to be active in many organizations that will help me achieve an excellent residency.
In recent months, I have been researching my career path as a pharmacist and have decided that the best field for me is clinical pharmacy. I plan on becoming a clinical pharmacist with a specialization in pediatric pharmacy. I was hoping to get an internship or start volunteering at Shands childrens hospital in Gainesville. I feel that without experience and student organization involvement, I will not receive a good residency.
I have spoken with a few students from the Orlando campus and many have said that most of the students have families and are married. I am only 21 and do not have such family obligations. For this reason, I was hoping to be in a college setting where I could socialize with other students my age. Involvement in activities is very important to me because I feel that I did not get involved enough as an undergrad because I was always working. Since I will not be working through pharmacy school, I was hoping to get involved in as many activities as possible. I understand that there will be an immense amount of studying, however, I am used to going to school full-time and working 25 hours a week.
I feel that if the satellite campus was more like a college campus then I would be fine with the selection. However, I feel that the Orlando campus will keep me from achieving my goals. I want to take classes in a college setting and I want to be involved in as many student activities as possible. I feel that a satellite campus is not for me. Unfortunately, I did not realize that the satellite campuses were not set up like college campuses until a month ago. If I would have known this, I would not have selected Orlando as my second choice. I truly believe that since I learn best in a college setting, that I will not excel in Orlando.
I understand that not everyone will be happy with the campus that they receive. However, when I ranked the Orlando site, I did not understand correctly how the learning would be facilitated. I know that I would have only applied for the Gainesville campus, had I known this. I believe that I will not be happy in Orlando and I feel that I will not be able to excel, not only as a student but as a person at this satellite campus. I know that I will be an asset to the University of Florida?s College of Pharmacy and I hope that the committee seriously considers me for the Gainesville campus. I feel very strongly about attending classes and participating at this campus. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Pam-
Sorry to hear about the petition denial. I read through your petition and I have a few constructive criticism type thoughts.

The first thing that came to my mind was that you repeated yourself many times. I would have had some professors/friends review your petition to eliminate the repetition and make it more fluid. There were also quite a few grammatical errors.
Also, mentioning that you were unaware that the Orlando campus is distance learning might alert them to the fact that you didn't research the school enough prior to applying.

Please don't take offense to this. I am on your side and I sincerely hope that you get approval for the Gainesville campus.

When you meet with the dean I would simply state that your priorities have changed from when you initially filled out your application. I wouldn't recommend saying you didn't know about the distance learning thing. It's safe to assume that he will have already read your petition and have thoughts about you before you even meet him. I would just tell him that you were so worked up and excited to get transfered that you wrote the petition without really proofreading it. You have plenty of valid points to authorize the Gainesville transfer, so I wouldn't worry about thinking about additional reasons for the transfer.

I wish you luck. And even if it doesn't work out the way you want it to, it might be for the best. I got rejected from my first choice school and thought it was the worst thing in the world - but I am SO happy I'm at MWU. It's changed my life in a way I wouldn't have planned for myself, but definitely for the better. :thumbup:

trancelucent1,

I also hope you are able to transfer; most of your reasons are valid, but.......if the campus assignment is totally random, then why do you feel like the Orlando campus is the only one that has many students that are married or have kids? I think ALL professional schools have a large number of parents and married/engaged students. I heard the average starting age for professional schools is around 26. I don't think this is a valid reason for wanting to switch campuses...especially since you only addressed it in one sentence in your whole letter. Perhaps you should have left it out; anyway, I wouldn't bring it up again at your meeting. It comes off as closed-minded and immature. (please don't get mad, I'm only trying to help)

I also agree with Amanda. Telling them that you didn't know about the campus assignment policies is like telling the cop that pulls you over that you didn't know what the speed limit was because you weren't paying attention. He'd say that it's your responsibility to know.

If they don't transfer you, and you've been accepted at another school, I think you should go to that other school, bc it's not worth losing another year over this, and next year the campus assignment will be totally random again right?...and there may be even more applicants next year.

I really believe that you will end up where you were meant to be. Good luck. :) :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish you the best of luck in this switch. The only thing I would add, is that they might not see the financial burden of Orlando as "their problem". I am thinking that focusing on why you would learn better in Gainesville may be a better angle. Just my two cents.

Another angle to get into Gainesville is to pursue the PharmD/PhD or JD or PA or MBA dual degree. Those programs are only offered at the Gainesville campus.

UF offers open houses at all their campuses in November, so you can check out each campus before you rank them. They may not buy that you didn't know about Orlando, if you didn't attend the open house there.

Originally posted by dgroulx
Another angle to get into Gainesville is to pursue the PharmD/PhD or JD or PA or MBA dual degree. Those programs are only offered at the Gainesville campus.

I met with Dr. McKenzie yesterday and he was nice but unwilling to budge what-so-ever. He said that my reasons were still not valid enough. He said that anything that I can do in Gainesville, I can do at any of the distance education sites. Honestly, I'm at the point where I'm just going to give up and go to Orlando. I have a good friend who lives there but unfortunately I'm going to have to move by the UCF area and commute, if I live with her (and I want to do that). I am willing to commute because I love where she lives. I tried the PhD/PharmD thing however he said that I can do that in Orlando. As for the Open Houses...I've checked the website many times for these and never found any info on the Orlando one and I ranked the campuses in September so that wouldn't have worked if they were November anyways. He said that right now they still have 90 spaces to fill at Gainesville, why they couldn't move me so soon as I was with the first round of people to get accepted is beyond me. As far as a financial burden, I think that living with my friend will help lessen that. I just didn't want to get stuck living with someone that I don't know (I've had many problems with this before) and I have a guaranteed place to stay in Gainesville with my best friend. Unfortunately it just didn't work out so I have to make the best of it. If I ever do decide to do another joint degree program, I'm sure that they will transfer me and like I said I have a place to stay in Gainesville. Thanks to everyone for the advice!! Anyone that's going to Orlando this semester or next, pm me and maybe we can meet up before classes start.

~Pam

Pam,

Make sure you buy a sun-pass. You are going to need it for the East-West Tollway and the Apopka tollway!

Originally posted by karmapatroL
trancelucent1,

I also hope you are able to transfer; most of your reasons are valid, but.......if the campus assignment is totally random, then why do you feel like the Orlando campus is the only one that has many students that are married or have kids? I think ALL professional schools have a large number of parents and married/engaged students.

UF is a little different because it has 3 branch campuses for distance education. People who make these campuses their first choice are generally going to get it because the majority of students want the main campus. The branches do have a majority of married/older students because they already live there and don't want to uproot their whole families and lives (like me). It's really not a random assignment if you choose a branch campus because you're almost certain to get it, but if you choose the main campus you're put on a randomized list with priority given to people who attend UF for undergraduate and people who already live in Gainesville.