Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicoleNY21

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hi Everyone,

I am currently a senior Biology/Psychology major at a small private college in Buffalo, NY. Over the last year or so I have been contemplating what to do after graduation. I know that I want to be a DO, but I also have a desire to either join the Peace Corps or the Americorps. I took the MCAT in April and only did mediocre V=7, P=8, B=10. (I took the Kaplan course too!) My GPA is a 3.88 though, so I opted not to retake the MCAT in August. I have the AACOMAS application, but have delayed sending it in since I was unsure if I wanted to go directly to DO school. Does anyone have any advice for me? Would taking a year off to do volunteer service be wise? I do realize that time is of the essence and I should really send in my AACOMAS application by the end of August at the latest. Please give me any words of wisdom.

Thanks.

------------------
~Nicole

"We will be known by the tracks we leave behind."
~Dakota Proverb

Members don't see this ad.

It still not too late in the game and your stats look OK so I would say apply NOW. Your chances of entry are decreasing each day you wait. What can it hurt right? Apply to your state school and possibly a few private ones. Good luck!

Miglo

Advice:
Follow your heart. Be you. Don't feel pressured to go to med school until you're good and ready. Life is not that short. Go to peace corps. It will only help your application. You can also do Peace Corps after med school and go as a doctor practicing in strange lands.....
Hope I was helpful. Email me for anything!

Thanks for your advice. After reading some of the other posts on this board I feel a little intimidated. I decided to apply now and am just about done with the AACOMAS application. (I downloaded the on-line version) I am hoping to get it in the mail today.

------------------
~Nicole

"We will be known by the tracks we leave behind."
~Dakota Proverb