Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

Em023

So I signed up for my classes next semester and this is what I have so far...

Biology 2
Organic 2
Physiology
Humanities Gen Ed

So yeah it only ended up being like 13 semester hours which isn't much. The problem is although I understand bio 1 fairly well, apparently bio 2 has the most drop/fail/retakes out of all the classes at my university. And then there is organic which I discovered I'm pretty horrible at no matter how much I study :( Physiology shouldn't be too bad, but I do plan to put a lot of work into it. As for the Gen Ed, it seems pretty easy, just a few papers but that does take up time. I want to have as much time as possible to study, I really need to boost my GPA as much as I can next semester(I am at a 3.3 and I am anticipating that go down to a 3.2 something because of Organic which blows). I have an awesome pharm tech job at the hospital, but it does take up a lot of time too.
Anyway my options are to leave my schedule as is, add a speech class or find another boring Gen Ed to add into the mix. So I guess my question is what is your advice on the better option? What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Biology 2
Organic 2
Physiology
Humanities Gen Ed

So yeah it only ended up being like 13 semester hours which isn't much. The problem is although I understand bio 1 fairly well, apparently bio 2 has the most drop/fail/retakes out of all the classes at my university. And then there is organic which I discovered I'm pretty horrible at no matter how much I study :( Physiology shouldn't be too bad, but I do plan to put a lot of work into it. As for the Gen Ed, it seems pretty easy, just a few papers but that does take up time. I want to have as much time as possible to study, I really need to boost my GPA as much as I can next semester(I am at a 3.3 and I am anticipating that go down to a 3.2 something because of Organic which blows). I have an awesome pharm tech job at the hospital, but it does take up a lot of time too.
Anyway my options are to leave my schedule as is, add a speech class or find another boring Gen Ed to add into the mix. So I guess my question is what is your advice on the better option? What would you do?

I would add speech since many pharmacy schools require that course. But make sure it's the type of course that is accepted by schools you are considering. If you want, you could add Psychology, Ethics, Sociology, Anthropology, or Economics to your schedule.

As for Bio 2, I'd say good luck and try to find someone to study with you if you can't keep up well enough or if you don't understand some of the material. As for organic 2, I'd say just do what you can and memorize stuff instead of trying to reason it out if that helps you score higher on the test. This semester in pharmacy school, there have been times when stuff I memorized for organic chem started making a lot of sense in biochemistry.

Bobbo's right about adding the speech course. Besides, it might become the "pick me up" course you'll need during a difficult semester. It's not a sin to seek outside help, with regard to bio and organic.

I personally used Organic Chem for Dummies and Organic Chem as a Second Language when I was going through the courses.

What's up with the high attrition rate in bio 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't know what the deal is with bio 2. I know the professors teaching it have been around for a long time so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I guess I'll find out next semester...

Thanks for the advice too! I was going to do the speech class and then I realized the one my advisor told me to take is only offered in the fall so I'll have to wait till next semester to take it. I definitely decided to take another class... its just a matter of deciding which one. Maybe a social science or something interesting. I just can't stand most of the gen ed classes. They sound so boring :sleep:

Organic chem for dummies sounds like the perfect book for me. I'll have to check it out.

Biology 2
Organic 2
Physiology
Humanities Gen Ed

If you know are sure you are gonna have trouble with organic and bio I would leave it as is. It also depends on how leaving it as is will affect your progress in completing your pre-reqs/graduating/applying to pharm school. Physiology and organic 2 require a lot of time. Speech isnt a hard class, but your course load seems relatively difficult considering you work a lot too.

Just make sure you don't screw yourself over on credits in the future.

You also have the option of taking speech in the summer. I think it's much easier that way and you can take it at a different school during the summer if your university doesn't offer it.

I recommend getting a tutor or something for orgo 2, it helped me go from a 60/100 on my first test to a 99/100 on my second test =D

My advisor also suggested that I either take the speech class offered in the fall or take a speech class at a CC but that would mean going home for the summer and my pharm tech job is here at school so I was thinking about taking the Organic lab this summer at my school and working.

I am also pretty good on time with finishing everything and have next year planned out for the most part.

I know pharmacy schools look at course load. Should I be really worried about that?

gosh i sound like I am just one big problem :( I just really, really REALLY want to get into pharmacy school when I apply. So thanks everyone for the advice. :love:

My advisor also suggested that I either take the speech class offered in the fall or take a speech class at a CC but that would mean going home for the summer and my pharm tech job is here at school so I was thinking about taking the Organic lab this summer at my school and working.

I am also pretty good on time with finishing everything and have next year planned out for the most part.

I know pharmacy schools look at course load. Should I be really worried about that?

gosh i sound like I am just one big problem :( I just really, really REALLY want to get into pharmacy school when I apply. So thanks everyone for the advice. :love:

It's just something to consider. You're going to be taking 16-20 hours every semester when you are in pharmacy school, so taking a considerable course load in undergrad and managing it well can make you look well-prepared for pharmacy school.