Quantcast

advice/reassurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitteykat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi guys,

I just registered to this forum before I found out my April '04 score because I needed to work up some courage. :) It took awhile but I finally did it...I got a 29O: 10PS, 8VR, 11BS. I'm not quite sure what to do...on one hand, I really wish I had gotten a 30+, but according to some of the posts I've read, 29 is ok. On the other hand, I'm scared that if I take it again, I'll do worse :eek:! I'm actually not going to apply this year because I have already decided way before that I'm not ready yet - seeing how I have a year now before I apply, should I study for the April '05 MCAT when it comes around, or should I just concentrate on my senior year, work on my ECs, LoRs, and GPA?

Thanks a lot! ;)

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I agree, a 29 is just fine if your GPA is decent (3.5+). I wouldn't retake; the lowest component of your score, verbal, is also probably the most difficult to improve (it has a tough curve). If you work really hard on the verbal, it might be at the expense of the sciences, which is not good. So, yeah, I'd stick with the 29. :)

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, look at the schools you want to apply to... some of them actually take the best score from each section from all the different MCAT scores - so if you up your verbal but decrease your science, they'll take the best verbal and the best science scores.

adamj61

Fck'm Bucky
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Be happy with that 8! You could have a 7V 12 12 like me, and I hate how 7 is so much better worse than an 8. It may have only been a 1 question difference.

Anyway, you are fine...I know some schools like Wisconsin look for a 30 on their "point" system. You always hear stories of how people did better, but who is going to come out and say...I did worse! I think you should apply