Advice Regarding an Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvalois

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow SDNers,

I have a question regarding updating schools before an interview invite. I am lucky enough to already have an acceptance to an OOS school but am really crossing my fingers and hoping for an interview with one of my state schools close to where I live (secondary already submitted). My spouse has started his career as an engineer and is at a job that he loves. I would hate to take him away from it if I didn't get into this state school. Do you think it is worth it to tell the admissions team at this school that if offered an acceptance, I would absolutely take it?

Here is some more info about me if it makes any difference:
URM
CA Resident
Non-trad
Within this school's 10th percentile for MCAT and 25th percentile for GPA (Kind of a reach, I know)

Any advice that could be offered would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey fellow SDNers,

I have a question regarding updating schools before an interview invite. I am lucky enough to already have an acceptance to an OOS school but am really crossing my fingers and hoping for an interview with one of my state schools close to where I live (secondary already submitted). My spouse has started his career as an engineer and is at a job that he loves. I would hate to take him away from it if I didn't get into this state school. Do you think it is worth it to tell the admissions team at this school that if offered an acceptance, I would absolutely take it?

Here is some more info about me if it makes any difference:
URM
CA Resident
Non-trad
Within this school's 10th percentile for MCAT and 25th percentile for GPA (Kind of a reach, I know)

You and 9 gazillion other applicants are telling the schools the exact same thing.

How else would you interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant???

I will have a rare disagreement with my learned colleague here. If I were you I would compose a short letter and state that 1.) you are fortunate to have been accepted to a medical school in another state (don't name the school), but 2.) your husband's nascent engineering career means you would 100% take a seat at the state school in question. Sprinkle on something about how you already love the nearby school for X, Y, Z so you don't give the impression that you only care about geography.

This may not tip you over the edge, but the school should be aware that you have a compelling reason to stay (even more so than your average applicant).

Reactions: 1 user