Advice: Song for Match Day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traumamonkey

mid-level resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for our match day ceremony we get to play a song over the loudspeaker while we make our way down to the front of the auditorium.

i'm having trouble picking mine (though Ben Folds song with the line "Give Me My Money Back" is a contender) and wondered if there are any SDN suggestions out there. :idea:
have to select it by march 15th...

thanks!
:hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

I'd choose The Imperial March and then use The Force to "choke" someone in the front row.

So for our match day ceremony we get to play a song over the loudspeaker while we make our way down to the front of the auditorium.

i'm having trouble picking mine (though Ben Folds "Give Me My Money Back" is a contender) and wondered if there are any SDN suggestions out there. :idea:

thanks!

Wow, you have a ceremony?

I guess I'll just be checking my email on my blackberry at 1 PM EST...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, you have a ceremony?

I guess I'll just be checking my email on my blackberry at 11 AM EST.

If you have a match day ceremony/are at your school then you get it at noon EDT.

If you are away from your school, then you have to wait 'til 1 PM EDT.

Either way if you are checking your e-mail at 11 AM EST...you'll be sorely disappointed.

hurray! Another way to kill time!

"It's my turn" Diana Ross
"Lose Yourself" by Eminem
"Stronger" by Kanye West
Mission Impossible theme
"I Tried" by Bone Thugs and Harmony
"Are you gonna be my girl" by Jet
"Can you feel the love tonight" by Elton John
"Did I shave my legs for this" by Deanna Carter
"Do you love me?" the Contours
"Don't be Cruel" by Elvis Presley
"Don't Worry, be Happy" by Bobby McFadden
"How can I ease the pain" by Lisa Fischer
"How sweet it is to be loved by you" by James Taylor
"If I have my way" by Chrisette Michelle
"Only time" by Enya
"Sign, Sealed, Delivered, I'm yours" Stevie Wonder
"The World's Greatest" by R. Kelly

I had fun wasting time putting this (partial) list together :smuggrin:, but it only shows that the song may depend on the results. How about smooth jazz (like Kenny G, Gerald Albright), piano (Jim Brickman), or classical music?

"Stronger" by Kanye West
Mission Impossible theme
"Only time" by Enya

I had fun wasting time putting this (partial) list together :smuggrin:, but it only shows that the song may depend on the results. How about smooth jazz (like Kenny G, Gerald Albright), piano (Jim Brickman), or classical music?

you're my hero! :love:
thanks!!

i'm having trouble picking mine (though Ben Folds song with the line "Give Me My Money Back" is a contender) and wondered if there are any SDN suggestions out there. :idea:

thanks!
"And don't forget my black T-SHIRT" I too have asked myself WTF am I spending 30k/year for.....

thanks!

Wow your school is so.....lame:laugh: What is it the WWE school of medicine? Although it does leave the hilarious possibility of replacing a gunner's song with this and watching him break out in a cold sweat.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIcFgl6zf3A[/youtube]

thanks!

Keep in mind if you would want to do some funky dance on the way up then you have to pick a song that allows it ;)

thanks!

Do you by any chance go to Vanderbilt? Someone recently showed me some footage from the archived webcast of last year's ceremony. (I'm soooo glad my school doesn't do this--I would be terrified!) Anyway, I noticed that each person had a theme song when their name was called. That part's kinda fun, at least...

"Twist and Shout" or "A hard Day's Night" by the Beatles
If you really want to have fun start walking down that aisle while listening to "Move B*&#$ get out da' way get out da' way"

I'm coming out-Diana Ross
You wouldn't listen to me-Ides of March
Chances are-Johnny Matthis
Whats going on-marvin Gaye
Ain't no mountain high enough-Diana ross
Heaven-Bryan Adams
Take this job and shove it-David A. Coe:D
Take a chance on me-Abba
If I can't have you-Yvonne Ellman
Strike it up-Black Box

Members don't see this ad :)
collie buddz - blind to you

<3

"Don't Stop Believing"-Journey ;)

The original Ben Folds pick is a great one.

I probably listened to 2 songs about a thousand times between putting my rank list and Match day:

The Waiting- Tom Petty
You Can't Always Get What You Want- Rolling Stones

Probably not the best for a Match Day ceremony, but might be good between now and then. :)

If you have a match day ceremony/are at your school then you get it at noon EDT.

If you are away from your school, then you have to wait 'til 1 PM EDT.

Either way if you are checking your e-mail at 11 AM EST...you'll be sorely disappointed.

It's 1pm, I just got the time wrong. How does your school get all of its students out of rotations and in town for this ceremony?

My class is scattered around the country right now doing away rotations...

I'm always a fan of the Rocky theme song, myself. :)

Simply the Best - Tina Turner

It's 1pm, I just got the time wrong. How does your school get all of its students out of rotations and in town for this ceremony?

it's a huge thing here (vandy -- hippiedoc is right on). where i started med school (in the northeast) everyone just gets together in an auditorium and opens their envelopes simultaneously.
here the match ceremony is important to the entire medical center campus and is broadcast on the internet. people come back from whatever rotation they are on, families fly in from across the country and the first through third years crowd in to see. it is totally different from anything i've seen anywhere else (for good and for bad). i'm looking forward to it, but do want to get the music right ;)

thanks to all for your suggestions!

Let us know what you decide! I kind of envy the pomp and circumstance you all get with the big ceremony. I think I'd be petrified to get up and announce where I got in, but in a way it's definitely nice to have the whole community excited and supporting you!

Let us know what you decide! I kind of envy the pomp and circumstance you all get with the big ceremony. I think I'd be petrified to get up and announce where I got in, but in a way it's definitely nice to have the whole community excited and supporting you!

Since we don't have a ceremony, as soon as I get my results on my blackberry, I'll update my facebook status for the world to see.

I might even turn on my ipod for some background music as I do this.

"Sweet Emotion". No question. Imagine strolling down the aisle to the intro of that song - it just oozes confidence. You could get one of the basic science guys to walk in front of you with some dry ice for the smoke-machine effect. It would be cooler if you did :cool:

Maybe it's a southern tradition - they had a very similar match day ceremony where I went to grad school. All the med students I knew where terrified of it, to be honest. Then again, at my school we have to sit through a 1.5 hour class meeting leading up to the distribution of envelopes, which sounds like agony. At least there's a tent with kegs and champagne waiting outside when it's over...

Maybe it's a southern tradition - they had a very similar match day ceremony where I went to grad school. All the med students I knew where terrified of it, to be honest. Then again, at my school we have to sit through a 1.5 hour class meeting leading up to the distribution of envelopes, which sounds like agony. At least there's a tent with kegs and champagne waiting outside when it's over...

I can see how it's tradition. It would make sense that these sorts of things took place before computers and emails.

I would imagine that newer schools don't have the tradition for this reason. Either way, I'm glad I don't have to transcend state lines to go back to my school just for a day to receive something accessible on the computer.

for the introspective student: "changes"- bowie

for the fatalist: "the end"- the doors

for the manic to strut to: "the boss"- james brown

ACDC "Hells Bells," best song to come out of the bullpen to. Or you could go with "Wild Thing" for the Major League fans.

"I want you to want me" Cheap Trick
"Let's get it on" Marvin Gaye
"Ball and chain" Social Distortion
"Let me go" Cake
"Set me free" Dixie Chicks
"Satisfy me" Elvis
"I lost it" Lucinda Williams

And finally, "Regulators" Warren G

que cera, cera

this one I would play afterward:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HRzaOFhec[/YOUTUBE]

this would be MY song, though ("Meant to be" by Sammy Kershaw):

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzhe0uG6uiQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAxb72cssGE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

:thumbup: :smuggrin:

oops Just That Kinda Day is by The New Main Street Singers

Are you male or female?

The opening drums make for a nice pace down the steps towards the stage, followed by the opening where you grab your letter.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ9LvqUAjxk[/YOUTUBE]

By far the best song to walk across a stage to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8tbjbmBmoU

Let the opening verse play, then strut across the stage when he starts singing da daa duh duhda...you get the picture.

Save this one for the home speakers; you've been warned!

Band on the run: McArtney and wings.

"If I ever get out of here,
Thought of giving it all away
To a registered charity.
All I need is a pint a day
If I ever get out of here."

Final Countdown

You would need a fog machine too.

You could also run in slow motion to get your envelope to this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYJzcUvS_NU[/YOUTUBE]

"Stronger" by Kanye West
Mission Impossible theme
"Only time" by Enya

God bless you for even mentioning Jim Brickman. I almost never find people who have a clue who he is.

(He's the guy that got me into piano over 11 years ago.)

Loving some of the other ideas, though.

Southern Hospitality- Clint Mansell

I love my score work, but... ?! :laugh: (although the "Requiem for a Tower" based on his work and redone by Benyacar/Nielsen/Margeirsson for lots of trailers would work wonderfully)

ACDC "Hells Bells," best song to come out of the bullpen to. Or you could go with "Wild Thing" for the Major League fans.

"I want you to want me" Cheap Trick
"Let's get it on" Marvin Gaye
"Ball and chain" Social Distortion
"Let me go" Cake
"Set me free" Dixie Chicks
"Satisfy me" Elvis
"I lost it" Lucinda Williams

And finally, "Regulators" Warren G

:D

What was the final decision?

What was the final decision?

Thanks to everyone for your fantastic (and often humorous) suggestions
i learned some new music and was reminded of some old favorites.

it was a tough call, but in the end i chose to play a song by a friend of mine who is moving to Cleveland on the 20th and will not be able to make it to the Match ceremony thing they have here. i don't know why i didn't think about it before, but i'm still glad i asked just to get all of your suggestions.

while i'm on the subject, Laura Clapp is a fantastic musician and has a song that i thought was rather fitting: "just let go"

the link goes to her MySpace page and now i will add an additional shameless plug for Laura: her webpage

thanks again and good luck :luck: to all on Match Day! i hope i am lucky enough to have some of you as classmates!!

~tm