advice/tips asking for LOR..!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CINDIEE

aja aja :)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
so I have been shadowing a doctor (DO) for about 5 weeks now (6 hours /week so far 30 hours)
(note : right now I have a strong LOR from an MD but not yet one from a DO ..)

I want to get a letter from this DO but I am not sure if she will write me a good letter. I try to stay focused and watch carefully and ask questions time to time but I dont think I left a strong positive impression on her about myself. (there are also 3+other students shadowing at the same time)

questions...:

1)For anyone who was able to get a strong/decent letter from a doctor what do you think it is that attributed to the good letter (your personality/asking many questions/telling the doc about your passion in medicine etc)?

2) How long should I wait until I ask about the LOR?

3)What is it that adcom wants to see in a LOR from a physician about the applicant?******

Members don't see this ad.

Are you shadowing a DO in Connecticut by chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I'm in the exact same situation and you pretty much described my shadowing experience to a t.
Are you shadowing one doctor as of now? Hope someone gives me some tips..

But I am trying to find another doctor (different field) to shadow because I havent had a chance to shadow a FM /IM doctor!... but nobody wants a stranger to be watching..made 100+ phone calls and everybody said no lol
I think I am gonna have to dress up and make trips to the doctors offices..:D ...?

Hi all!
so I have been shadowing a doctor (DO) for about 5 weeks now (6 hours /week so far 30 hours)
(note : right now I have a strong LOR from an MD but not yet one from a DO ..)

I want to get a letter from this DO but I am not sure if she will write me a good letter. I try to stay focused and watch carefully and ask questions time to time but I dont think I left a strong positive impression on her about myself. (there are also 3+other students shadowing at the same time)

questions...:

1)For anyone who was able to get a strong/decent letter from a doctor what do you think it is that attributed to the good letter (your personality/asking many questions/telling the doc about your passion in medicine etc)?

2) How long should I wait until I ask about the LOR?

3)What is it that adcom wants to see in a LOR from a physician about the applicant?******

It definitely won't hurt to find another DO to shadow. Physicians, just like any other group of people, have different personalities and you'll get along with some better than others. Ask family and friends if they know any they'd recommend. If that doesn't work, try calling your state osteopathic association and ask for DOs in your area to shadow. I think this is the best way because, as you've experienced, it's very easy for them to say no to a stranger on the phone (if you even get past the receptionist). In my experience, it also helps if the doc knows things about you outside of medicine. It gives them a chance to write a more personal letter, instead of one for another premed drone. I did this by talking to the physician in his office at the end of the day when he was done seeing patients.

If you're shadowing them, they know there is a pretty good chance you'll be asking for a letter. I would/did do it at the end of the day of the last scheduled shadowing time. If it's a long term thing, just ask whenever.

The adcoms (obviously speculation, since I'm not on one) want to see that the physician believes you will be an asset to the profession. This is a perspective your PhD lor writers can't really give.

If you have competitive stats, even a halfway decent letter from a doc will be good enough. You might be best served to continue shadowing the DO you already are.