Advice to anyone who gets into medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainJackSparrow83

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you make it that far congratulations. You earned it but the biggest mistake you can make, and that I made, was the big sigh of relief thinking that getting in basically meant I would be a doctor. Its pretty much the first step and thats it.

If I had to make an analogy getting into medical school is kind of like finding a man crazy enough to take you to the Bermuda triangle. But getting through medical school is dealing with all the forces of nature that the triangle has to throw at you.

I really wish, undergraduate programs allowed a one year post bacc as a senior year so students had an idea of the tsunami they have coming for them, because the pre reqs dont really represent the volume of material you need to accomplish.

Im only in my first semester so this is the most advice I Can offer so far, to be absolutely 100% sure you want to become a physician, and that you are willing to go through the daily sacrifices to get through school.

Also read Goro's guide. I wish I did that earlier.

Try to speak to multiple students also about their experiences. Amazingly a few students have the talent to speak from their butts and feed you alot of false information. Its up to you to sift through it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What are the biggest academic pieces of advice you guys would give to the students beginning next Fall, seeing as you guys are going through the transition now. What outside resources to you advise buying to study along with class notes? Are there certain study strategies you use that you think are very helpful?

Just my n=1 but I'm easily at 50 hours of classwork a week between class/lab time and studying

About what I expect to do as well once I'm in medical school. I'm sure lab takes up a good portion of that time though right? Are you allowed to go into the anatomy lab outside of lab hours?

About what I expect to do as well once I'm in medical school. I'm sure lab takes up a good portion of that time though right? Are you allowed to go into the anatomy lab outside of lab hours?
Honestly lab isn't that much. We have 2 hour anatomy labs once or twice a week and yes there are open hours (at least at my school)

What are the biggest academic pieces of advice you guys would give to the students beginning next Fall, seeing as you guys are going through the transition now. What outside resources to you advise buying to study along with class notes? Are there certain study strategies you use that you think are very helpful?
It's gonna vary for everyone. Personally I'm one that goes through the notes and verbalizes the concepts over and over. Sure I sound insane at times but it makes it stick. I got firecracker too as a supplement and downloaded Anki just havent used it. Honestly I feel like first semester is more of ironing out your study strategies cuz once second year hits you'll need it perfected

It's gonna vary for everyone. Personally I'm one that goes through the notes and verbalizes the concepts over and over. Sure I sound insane at times but it makes it stick. I got firecracker too as a supplement and downloaded Anki just havent used it. Honestly I feel like first semester is more of ironing out your study strategies cuz once second year hits you'll need it perfected

Ive seen people write about Panthoma (not sure if its spelled right), FA, and Netter (?) alot on here, what is your personal opinion on those?

Reactions: 1 user
Ive seen people write about Panthoma (not sure if its spelled right), FA, and Netter (?) alot on here, what is your personal opinion on those?
I don't use any of those and probably will just add FA when I'm board prepping next year (I'm only a first year) so I couldn't comment on those. Netters is good for anatomy though I use the flashcards

If you make it that far congratulations. You earned it but the biggest mistake you can make, and that I made, was the big sigh of relief thinking that getting in basically meant I would be a doctor. Its pretty much the first step and thats it.

If I had to make an analogy getting into medical school is kind of like finding a man crazy enough to take you to the Bermuda triangle. But getting through medical school is dealing with all the forces of nature that the triangle has to throw at you.

I really wish, undergraduate programs allowed a one year post bacc as a senior year so students had an idea of the tsunami they have coming for them, because the pre reqs dont really represent the volume of material you need to accomplish.

Im only in my first semester so this is the most advice I Can offer so far, to be absolutely 100% sure you want to become a physician, and that you are willing to go through the daily sacrifices to get through school.

Also read Goro's guide. I wish I did that earlier.

Try to speak to multiple students also about their experiences. Amazingly a few students have the talent to speak from their butts and feed you alot of false information. Its up to you to sift through it.
Did you go straight from undergrad into medical school?

For anatomy, do you or anyone in your class utilize the Essential Anatomy app on iOS?

Medical school is not unique. Try chemistry graduate school, engineering graduate school, etc.

I was doing 80 hours a week at least in chemistry graduate school.

Reactions: 4 users

These resources depend on the school's class structure i.e. systems based, problem based learning, block based, etc. At my school, we take pathology and micro second year. We had no reason to use Pathoma or Sketchy during first year. These are amazing resources in conjunction to class materials. First Aid is basically bullet point outlines of how everything can go wrong in the human body. First year does not cover very much in First Aid, other than basic processes.

And the Habs are garbage this year ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
How many hours do you study per day?

I study less than others, probably 4-5. I avoid watching full lectures and just go by notes if I can. Im not blessed with that luxury in every class because some professors arent as good as others.
Fridays I am free after 1 pm no matter what week it is.
Advice- if you have multiple acceptances pick a school that fits your personality. Manage your sleep schedule thats the main problem Im facing right now. Eat healthy. Study with breaks in between. Try to revise everything three times. Once during the lecture (take active notes), once during the weekend, and once before an exam.

dont really use flash cards, I have a stack of netters but I prefer just using the powerpoint.
Did you go straight from undergrad into medical school?
Took about a year off. I highly recommend you relax during this year off, if youre financially stressed then go straight into med school.

Took about a year off. I highly recommend you relax during this year off, if youre financially stressed then go straight into med school.

The reason I ask is because going from an undergraduate environment to pretty much anything else is a shock. Undergraduate education [and education in general] in the United States is a bloated, wasteful, and coddled mess. You're in the "real world" now. You're also likely about 22-24 years old, and my experience is that one's emotions are more dramatic and charged until you hit your late 20s. The flip side to this is that your brain is also more sponge-like, which is an advantage for memorizing a ton of material.

I can assure you that working in private industry with zero autonomy, demanding bosses, huge commutes etc. also sucks. It sounds like you're stressed out from a demanding academic workload, which is certainly understandable. You're just going to have to toughen up a bit. Nobody said this was going to be easy.

The reason I ask is because going from an undergraduate environment to pretty much anything else is a shock. You're in the "real world" now. You're also likely about 22 years old, and my experience is that one's emotions are more dramatic and charged until you hit your late 20s. The flip side to this is that your brain is also more sponge-like, which is an advantage for memorizing a ton of material.

I can assure you that working in private industry with zero autonomy, demanding bosses, huge commutes etc. also sucks. It sounds like you're stressed out from a demanding academic workload, which is certainly understandable. You're just going to have to toughen up a bit. Nobody said this was going to be easy.

Long story short, OP is compaining about a career where he's guaranteed a 6 figure salary and won't have a boss hovering over his head.

My advice is pretty much: stop being a crybaby OP.

Long story short, OP is compaining about a career where he's guaranteed a 6 figure salary and won't have a boss hovering over his head.

My advice is pretty much: stop being a crybaby OP.
He'll likely have some type of boss unless he opens up a private practice.

The career stability and salary are solid, though.

He'll likely have some type of boss unless he opens up a private practice.

The career stability and salary are solid, though.

A boss yes. A boss that hovers over your head while you work, no.

Reactions: 1 users
A boss yes. A boss that hovers over your head while you work, no.
Honestly I'm not sure. Still a premed lol. These EMR systems sure sound like a big brother boss to me, though.

Not sure if you guys are in medical school yet but going through it is hell. Im pretty sure theres a stat that says 20% of med students end up going through depression. More and more people have been saying it on the forum, that 1st year is absolute hell, just a bunch of people dont own up to it.
As far as autonomy goes, I would never go into a private practice and from shadowing, even attending's get treated like dirt by the clinical directors.
Most of my engineering friends are back in the bay area starting with 100 k salaries and a few even making 150. My finance friends are making 150-200 in the age 23-25 group on wallstreet.

This post isnt to discourage anyone from becoming a doctor but to be absolutely sure you want to put yourself through the mental torture

Not sure if you guys are in medical school yet but going through it is hell. Im pretty sure theres a stat that says 20% of med students end up going through depression. More and more people have been saying it on the forum, that 1st year is absolute hell, just a bunch of people dont own up to it.
As far as autonomy goes, I would never go into a private practice and from shadowing, even attending's get treated like dirt by the clinical directors.
Most of my engineering friends are back in the bay area starting with 100 k salaries and a few even making 150. My finance friends are making 150-200 in the age 23-25 group on wallstreet.

This post isnt to discourage anyone from becoming a doctor but to be absolutely sure you want to put yourself through the mental torture

Have you ever took a gander at most "top ten career that commit suicide" lists?

They have doctors, pharmacists, chemists, scientists in general, and dentists on most of these lists. Doctors aren't specifically unique to other hard sciences/professional schools in terms of depression.

Just my n=1 but I'm easily at 50 hours of classwork a week between class/lab time and studying
To me, 50 hours seems like nothing! I easily see myself putting in 70-80 hours a week in med school.

To me, 50 hours seems like nothing! I easily see myself putting in 70-80 hours a week in med school.

50 isnt horrible, 10 hours a day week and weekends mostly off.
I wouldnt say easily see yourself, remember you have other things to do too.

70-80 hours including in-class time?

Even then its an over estimate lol. I feel like most of the straight A students dont go to class and just stream. Since my last exam cycle Ive been streaming and im much more caught up.

The reason I ask is because going from an undergraduate environment to pretty much anything else is a shock. Undergraduate education [and education in general] in the United States is a bloated, wasteful, and coddled mess. You're in the "real world" now. You're also likely about 22-24 years old, and my experience is that one's emotions are more dramatic and charged until you hit your late 20s. The flip side to this is that your brain is also more sponge-like, which is an advantage for memorizing a ton of material.

Agreed. Most medical students come from backgrounds where worrying about their grades was their biggest problem. That’s why taking time off, not just one year to volunteer at a hospital or backpack through Europe but multiple years working at a job that requires real effort and being on your own, teaches you so much.

Agreed. Most medical students come from backgrounds where worrying about their grades was their biggest problem. That’s why taking time off, not just one year to volunteer at a hospital or backpack through Europe but multiple years working at a job that requires real effort and being on your own, teaches you so much.

Exactly. Most medical school students do come from fairly high socioeconomic backgrounds (there is data to support this). Some medical students have a tendency to feel entitled, and think because they're a doctor they shouldn't work hard.

Exactly. Most medical school students do come from fairly high socioeconomic backgrounds (there is data to support this). Some medical students have a tendency to feel entitled, and think because they're a doctor they shouldn't work hard.

Lol

100k isn't jack **** in the bay area unless you are living rent free.

And having worked in engineering firms/departments, I'd say that depression is very common there too. Not saying that it's good or normal just that everything you are describing is not unique to medical school.

Medical school is not unique. Try chemistry graduate school, engineering graduate school, etc.

I was doing 80 hours a week at least in chemistry graduate school.

In terms of stress, I would much rather take graduate school than medical school. Even at being in the pre-clinical portion is not as flexible as my time during my masters.

In terms of stress, I would much rather take graduate school than medical school. Even at being in the pre-clinical portion is not as flexible as my time during my masters.

This discussion could go on forever. But sure, there is flexibility on when I could do research. But as one of the advisors here said:

"Why would I ever have student that only works 40 hours a work, no matter how efficient they are. If you cant be in lab for at least 70-80 hours a week, I'll just find someone else".

Does flexibility matter when youre working at all times anyway?

If I was still in chemistry graduate school, you bet I wouldn't have enough time to be on these forums lol.

So yes, you choose when you do your research hours, but boy does it hardly matter when all your time is research anyway. On top of your own 600 level chemistry classes, teaching, presentations, posters, tutoring, proctoring, and grading, it was just a mess.

I will agree that perhaps the medical field is more stressful overall though.

This discussion could go on forever. But sure, there is flexibility on when I could do research. But as one of the advisors here said:

"Why would I ever have student that only works 40 hours a work, no matter how efficient they are. If you cant be in lab for at least 70-80 hours a week, I'll just find someone else".

If I was still in chemistry graduate school, you bet I wouldn't have enough time to be on these forums lol.

So yes, you choose when you do your research hours, but boy does it hardly matter when all your time is research anyway. On top of your own 600 level chemistry classes, teaching, presentations, posters, tutoring, proctoring, and grading, it was just a mess.

It does help when you want to go see a doctor for your acid reflux or your dog is sick and you want to see a vet. I could schedule the appointment at times between 12:00pm-5pm and my PI would be fine with it, I just make up the work afterward. However, with my school and the multitude of exams you are scared of missing those session that are not recorded or the exam is so close you have to put up with whatever you have. Yes, it does make a difference.

It does help when you want to go see a doctor for your acid reflux or your dog is sick and you want to see a vet. I could schedule the appointment at times between 12:00pm-5pm and my PI would be fine with it, I just make up the work afterward. However, with my school and the multitude of exams you are scared of missing those session that are not recorded or the exam is so close you have to put up with whatever you have. Yes, it does make a difference.

I mean, you can compare that same ordeal to any typical 40 hour a week job. If you work 8-5 pm, then its also very difficult, even if your job itself is fairly easy and not prestigious.

Last edited:
I mean, you can compare that same ordeal to any typical 40 hour a weak job. If you work 8-5 pm, then its also very difficult, even if your job itself is fairly easy and not prestigious.

Its not the same that situation is still better. The problem is that you don't understand the test stress that comes with medical school. The moments you do see a doctor or have to run an errand is time that cannot be used to study. This time missed could mean the difference between passing and failing a test (I failed one test by 0.8% and this was me going all out which was about 100 hours a week; but most of the time I'm an average student) . You're not just going to class 8-5pm, but also studying afterward. Anytime not used to study make you feel guilty because it is time that could be used to get a higher test score. I been through both medical school and graduate school. So I have an understanding of the difference.

Last edited:
100k isn't jack **** in the bay area unless you are living rent free.

And having worked in engineering firms/departments, I'd say that depression is very common there too. Not saying that it's good or normal just that everything you are describing is not unique to medical school.

100 k is pretty decent actually. People make alot more than that, the rent in a suburb is about 2000-2500 for 2 bedrooms. 30 k a year for rent. you keep around 67 k after taxes. so youre left with 37. Youre not saving a whole lot but you can live relatively comfortably.

If youre interested in the material you can do things alot better. Frankly the basic sciences curriculum year 1 based on what people have told me in person and on here is about the most boring least application based education so alot of people seem to struggle with it. Graduate school depends where you go, I took some masters-degree courses in chemical engineering and biomedical engineering as technical electives in undergrad, most of the grad students were pretty relaxed. However the graduate students down at UCLA had a much busier schedule.

Medicine seems to be the biggest throw down, you have little time to do research, learn any math, youre just memorizing facts all day long. There is little to understand, and mostly memorization, which is why it can feel like hell. Would you rather have me stuff a buffet of assorted deserts, vegetables, meats etc down your throat or pure bland (your favorite salad or something). Even though its your favorite it gets boring after a while doesnt it?

Yes obviously lol

Good news is you probably wont need to put 70-80 most weeks unless youre a really slow learner or you have a horrible anatomy dissection team. If you can skip lectures for the most part you will be saving even more time.

If youre interested in the material you can do things alot better. Frankly the basic sciences curriculum year 1 based on what people have told me in person and on here is about the most boring least application based education so alot of people seem to struggle with it. Graduate school depends where you go, I took some masters-degree courses in chemical engineering and biomedical engineering as technical electives in undergrad, most of the grad students were pretty relaxed. However the graduate students down at UCLA had a much busier schedule.

Medicine seems to be the biggest throw down, you have little time to do research, learn any math, youre just memorizing facts all day long. There is little to understand, and mostly memorization, which is why it can feel like hell. Would you rather have me stuff a buffet of assorted deserts, vegetables, meats etc down your throat or pure bland (your favorite salad or something). Even though its your favorite it gets boring after a while doesnt it?

To be honest, I found working at a grocery store more stressful than working at a hospital. I thought being under a boss at a grocery store was much more frustrating than the 80 hour weeks I put into graduate school. A lot of this is perspective, but I do know people generally find things more difficult or frustrating if they just don't like them. The reality was that the grocery store gig was objectively easier and less stressful than the aforementioned experiences, but I didn't feel that way.

A boss that hovers over your head while you work, no.

Honestly I'm not sure. Still a premed lol. These EMR systems sure sound like a big brother boss to me, though.

Insurance companies are the boss and they will often tell you how you can or cannot practice.

You really need to get off the graduate school is the hardest and bestest thing ever train.

Reactions: 7 users
70-80 a week for 2 years is more than I'm willing to do. With how much information there is you get tired. Not to come off as callous but As a pre-med there's honestly no way you can be fully prepared for 'drinking from the firehose'. I thought I would be doing 80 hours a week but it's easier said than done. There's always more I could be doing but that's the nature of the beast. I have a family and focus more on them and making sure I'm still at an A- level or as high as I can get because I'm not trying to worry about anything crazy competitive and want to stay in the Midwest

70-80 a week for 2 years is more than I'm willing to do. With how much information there is you get tired. Not to come off as callous but As a pre-med there's honestly no way you can be fully prepared for 'drinking from the firehose'. I thought I would be doing 80 hours a week but it's easier said than done. There's always more I could be doing but that's the nature of the beast. I have a family and focus more on them and making sure I'm still at an A- level or as high as I can get because I'm not trying to worry about anything crazy competitive and want to stay in the Midwest

I agree with you and I think in most cases 80 hours in pre clinical years is overkill. Most of my classmates at least have a few hours of free time each day.

And on top of this, many of these students are so wrapped up in their academics that anything less than perfect is felt to be a blow to self-worth, or loss of face. It's almost as if their entire life's goal was to get into medical school, and NOT to be a doctor.

If you think there is little to understand about medicine, I think you're going about your studies the wrong way. There is a lot to memorize, but I think you also need to understand how everything comes together. If you're just focused on straight up memorizing, I don't think you'll get far.

I've seen many of your posts on SDN, and you seem to really be struggling. Medicine may have never been the right career path for you, but don't make it seem like doomsday to other people. I know many happy med students who have a work/life balance, and although they admit it is hard, they don't feel like they are going to explode under the pressure. You seem to be struggling with some serious depression, and I think you should seek counseling and consider either dropping out of school or taking a leave of absence.

If you think there is little to understand about medicine, I think you're going about your studies the wrong way. There is a lot to memorize, but I think you also need to understand how everything comes together. If you're just focused on straight up memorizing, I don't think you'll get far.

I've seen many of your posts on SDN, and you seem to really be struggling. Medicine may have never been the right career path for you, but don't make it seem like doomsday to other people. I know many happy med students who have a work/life balance, and although they admit it is hard, they don't feel like they are going to explode under the pressure. You seem to be struggling with some serious depression, and I think you should seek counseling and consider either dropping out of school or taking a leave of absence.

Before you go bashing on my abilities to get through medical school you really need to face it for yourself. Because your friend(s) are happy through it doesnt mean everyone is. I am working on figuring out a pathway since my school counselor is junk, but this advice still stands through.
In medical school everyone is cut throat hard working, so people wont admit to you about their actual struggles in person.

Before you go bashing on my abilities to get through medical school you really need to face it for yourself. Because your friend(s) are happy through it doesnt mean everyone is. I am working on figuring out a pathway since my school counselor is junk, but this advice still stands through.
In medical school everyone is cut throat hard working, so people wont admit to you about their actual struggles in person.
I believe her point is that a depressed individual isn't in the best position to give advice to others on the subject that is accelerating/causing their depression. No offense, and I hope that you receive the help that you need.

I believe her point is that a depressed individual isn't in the best position to give advice to others on the subject that is accelerating/causing their depression. No offense, and I hope that you receive the help that you need.

I think its one of the better perspectives to get advice from, whats the point of listening to the cons of medical school for someone with a photographic memory who flies by and thinks everything is fantastic.
Again, she has the opportunity to use the ignore function. Theres almost a 1/4 chance that a medical student has depression. Most of my posts stick to the Medical student forum, its worth letting premeds know this could very well be a major side effect of going to medical school.
I had decent stats to get in, I always told myself I would never be the one to struggle getting myself to study, yet here I am.
PS. Im pretty sure Im suffering from some attention disorder and not depression.

Yes, that was exactly what I meant. I just think you're not doing yourself, or anyone reading your posts, any good by going on and on about how miserable you are. I'm sorry that your school counselor sucks. Just like how you said because I know people who are happy not everyone is, just because you are miserable doesn't mean everyone is.

I've just read a lot of your posts, and you seem to not be in the best place. I think you need to help yourself before you try and give advice to others. I truly hope you find the best path for you, whether that ends up being in medicine or not. I didn't mean any negativity towards you, and I'm sorry if it came off that way.

I think its one of the better perspectives to get advice from, whats the point of listening to the cons of medical school for someone with a photographic memory who flies by and thinks everything is fantastic.
Again, she has the opportunity to use the ignore function. Theres almost a 1/4 chance that a medical student has depression. Most of my posts stick to the Medical student forum, its worth letting premeds know this could very well be a major side effect of going to medical school.
I had decent stats to get in, I always told myself I would never be the one to struggle getting myself to study, yet here I am.
PS. Im pretty sure Im suffering from some attention disorder and not depression.
Yeah. I respect your opinion.. but someone who is possibly depressed is almost always going to have a negative opinion about what is making them depressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.