Advice to influence the next 4 years of my life...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karim

The Egyptian Undergrad
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that, in an ideal situation, I would be taking the August MCAT after my sophomore year, using the summer to study. However, I would really love to study abroad, possibly during that same summer of my sophomore year. Does taking the MCAT after my sophomore year really make that much of a difference? As I am a freshman, when would be the best time to study abroad? And when exactly will the new MCAT (with the multiple test days) be implemented? Sorry for the multiple questions...

Members don't see this ad.

If you had it done starting junior year you could study abroad a semester of your junior year and not have to even think about the MCAT or med school stuff.

So it's April 2007...that would be the April during my sophomore year. Does that mean that, in the year 2007, they will be administering...what is it...4 MCATs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see why taking the MCAT during the April of your junior year is such a disadvantage. The way I understand it, most undergrads take physics during their junior year, which is definitely a big help for the Physical Science section.

Karim said:
So it's April 2007...that would be the April during my sophomore year. Does that mean that, in the year 2007, they will be administering...what is it...4 MCATs?
Yes they will be switched to the computer verision (hopefully) by then. So if need be you could take it twice if "theoretically" you went abroad. Funny thing is you can take the MCAT abroad too if need be.

But its up to you. My advice ... take it when your READY. The less times you have to take it ... the better. If you can't fit it into your schedule you can always take it in the summer of 2007 and take the whole summer to study for it (instead of having class/mcat studying to deal with). Don't rush things, enjoy college. Take classes that you want. Get your prereqs out of the way and then decide when to take the MCAT. I'd go with august if I were you only b/c then you can take the summer to concentrate on it.