advice to take this pcat or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardworker101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I am very worried,
I am registered for 22oct pcat and it's my first time. I studied about 2 months and I don't know whether I am ready. I am good in sciences but verbal and reading is my weakness ( i am not a native speaker)
What if I get a low score and have to repeat it, does it look bad to take it twice?
Also, I am applying next year and I have a year, I don't know wether I should wait and take it later and prep more? I just wanted to know how does taking it multiple times affects my app?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

arminshivazad said:
Hi all
I am very worried,
I am registered for 22oct pcat and it's my first time. I studied about 2 months and I don't know whether I am ready. I am good in sciences but verbal and reading is my weakness ( i am not a native speaker)
What if I get a low score and have to repeat it, does it look bad to take it twice?
Also, I am applying next year and I have a year, I don't know wether I should wait and take it later and prep more? I just wanted to know how does taking it multiple times affects my app?

Thanks

If it were me I would take it next year if you are honestly really worried. You could take it in January or June and still be way ahead of the game. All the schools I know of just look at your highest PCAT, but they will still see the old score. I don't know how that will truly affect your application.
On the other hand you have spent the money to register for the PCAT and this could just be nerves. EVERYONE feels nervous before the PCAT or like maybe they could have prepared a little more. Do you have a prep book, like Kaplan? If you are familiar with the majority of the concepts in that book you are prepared. The book is harder than the PCAT. Time is the most difficult factor to tell you the truth; it was for me.
Have you had general chem 1 and 2, bio 1 and 2, A&P? Any organic chemistry? Finishing as many pre-reqs as possible before taking it helps too. I would think that if you hadn't finished a lot of chemistry and biology and did poorly on the first PCAT and then retake it with a higher score after finishing more classes, schools would see a logical reason for a lower score replaced by a higher score. A lot of people take it more than once.
Good luck, you have two weeks to prepare and decide! :luck: By the way, the PCAT has a "no grading" option on test day. If you get there, feel you did horribly and do not want the test graded you can mark a box that says DO NOT GRADE. Nothing will be sent to you or the schools... it's like you never took it at all.