Advice - Waiting to submit my AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheStallion16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I need some advice on when to submit my AMCAS primary app. I've heard it's always best to submit as early as humanly possible because it can take awhile to get verified. However, I'm doing a pretty important internship this summer from June 1-Aug 10 that can add a lot to my app (shadowing, clinical, and research hours at a very prominent hospital that will culminate in me submitting a paper with a surgeon mentor for publication). My question is, should I put off submitting my primary app until July so I can better talk about and describe this internship?

The way I see it I have two options.

Option 1: Submit on June 7 (the first day I can) and talk about what I will be doing with the internship. Then I can update med schools through the secondaries.

Option 2: Wait to submit till mid-July. By this time I will be able to thoroughly describe the internship and have an accurate amount of hours and such for the primary.

What do you guys think? I'm really conflicted

Members don't see this ad.

Submit.

Use the internship for secondaries and updates and whatnot.

Reactions: 1 user
What else do you have on your app already? If it is filled with plenty of experiences already then you would greater benefit from submitting as early an app as possible. Secondaries are the space to add more productive activities since submitting the AMCAS.

mid-July isn't late, but you're pushing off verification longer than you should if your app isn't already very strong. I am of the opinion that applying anytime in June leads to relatively the same effect. I would consider submitting shortly before the last week of June too.

What else do you have on your app already? If it is filled with plenty of experiences already then you would greater benefit from submitting as early an app as possible. Secondaries are the space to add more productive activities since submitting the AMCAS.

mid-July isn't late, but you're pushing off verification longer than you should if your app isn't already very strong. I am of the opinion that applying anytime in June leads to relatively the same effect. I would consider submitting shortly before the last week of June too.

My app isn't bad right now. It has 3000 hours of a Division 1 sport, about 500 hours of community service, 24 hours of shadowing, and a leadership role in the largest philanthropic organization on campus. This internship will add a lot of additional shadowing and clinical experience hours, as well as a lot of hours of research. It's not "make or break" but it can really enhance my app, especially in areas it's currently lacking like research. I would say submitting my app in late June would be a happy medium. You don't think that's still too long?