Advice with Walgreens job offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rooserloom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently got a job offer from Walgreens. I am like 90% sure on accepting it but just wanted some advice on anything to consider before I do.

Reasons I want to accept:
- I have no retail experience other than my rotations. It is the only response I got so far and only offer (got 1 rejection from another place). I am not optimistic on getting other offers soon within the time frame i have to accept the offer.

- It is a per diem job within my current residing state, so no relocation necessary (just sometimes an extra long commute and unstable schedule)

- Walgreens is not a bad place to work compared to other chains from what I heard

The only thing I wonder is if it would be too early? The manager I spoke to is giving me 2-3 weeks to accept. I am a P4 student and there is still more than 6 months until I graduate. I still plan to keep applying all around to other places. I have read other threads and it seems that it is normal to accept an offer from a large chain and then back out later if other opportunities pop up. Even though it seems unethical, especially since I fought hard to get this interview. I just didn't expect to get an offer so soon.
So I was just wondering if there is any other things I should also consider and look at in the equation beforehand. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's not unethical to back out of a job offer, if no contract has been signed. Walgreens could also do the same to you, 6 months down the road, they could tell you they no longer have a job for you. A lot can change in 6 months. Especially with a per diem job, which by definition means temporary or as needed. If Walgreens needs you, they will give you hours, if they don't, no hours. And likewise, if you have time to work, you accept the hours they give you, if you don't, then you say no.

What area of the country are you in, that you think a per diem job is the best you can do? Unless you have reason to think this will lead to a full-time position, I would take a full-time position anywhere over a per diem position anywhere, considering that you surely have huge college loans.