Advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluffytoez

MS 1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
URM (African), 3.5 non-sciences, 3.6 science, a high trend for both, 3 shadowing experiences, started an organization, held two positions in Student Government at my college, lots of volunteer hours, MCAT is 498, applied to some schools; both MD and DO. Any advice on which schools I should add..? Is there enough time to retake MCAT for this cycle? If I don't get in, what would I do with a gap year..?

Members don't see this ad.

Get clinical experience (didn’t see any)

And definitely retake MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got clinical experience already, do I have time to retake it though?

For this cycle you should have time for DO schools but not for MD schools. I think you should take a gap year, spend adequate time prepping for the MCAT since you already have a bad score counting against you, fill in on service to those less fortunate, get a DO letter, retake the MCAT and apply EARLY next cycle to MD and DO

Got clinical experience already, do I have time to retake it though?
I'll wager that there will be enough reserve seats later in the cycle for a candidate like yourself, if you can improve significantly on the MCAT.

The DO cycle is longer And so you definitely have time to retake the MCAT

MD is gone with that MCAT.
But honestly, with a broad enough list, you could get into some of the newer osteo schools.
Add VCOM's to your list as they prefer higher GPA's and don't seem to mind sub-500 MCAT's too much.

Although I say you have a shot, an MCAT under 500 makes your chances high to not be accepted anywhere.
Retake of MCAT is something you should think about.

Good luck.

Last edited:
If you apply broadly to DO schools (>15), you’ll probably get multiple interviews. You have a good GPA, and your MCAT is above the average for black DO matriculants (497). Good luck!

I was accepted to 2 schools with a 498 MCAT and GPA's about the same as yours. I think you have a shot with your current